Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 04-22-2003, 05:05 PM   #1
Albromor
Mephistopheles

This inquiry got its start when a friend of mine in Wyoming (I live in Southern New Jersey) wanted to see if we could do a Pencil & Paper AD&D game via email. I thought that such an undertaking would be plodding at best and then I thought, well perhaps a webcam linkup of some kind. Of course, I don't have the slightest idea what I am talking about, but I am intrigued if this is even feasible. Anybody use webcams to connect with friends and family through their computer? Is the technology good enough, i.e., clarity, frame rate, picture size? What type of specs does a computer need, i.e., RAM, CPU, etc., to make it run smoothly? Is it true that anything less than DSL is a waste of time? Any suggestions? I'm not looking to break the bank, but I also know you get what you pay for. Thanks ahead of time.
Old 04-22-2003, 05:21 PM   #2
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

yes, i do through yahoo, they have a cool webcam service
and it is easy to set up
if you choose to do this, remember to set the settings so only thoseinvited can see, because wen you broadcast others may be able to link to it
Old 04-22-2003, 05:50 PM   #3
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

I was thinking of getting a webcam and setting it up and have it pointing at my PC and me working on it while I was drawing or doing the radio show, but decided not too... I doubt anyone would care to watch [img]smile.gif[/img]

Besides, then I couldn't do the radio show or draw in my underwear lol!!!

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 04-22-2003, 05:53 PM   #4
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
I was thinking of getting a webcam and setting it up and have it pointing at my PC and me working on it while I was drawing or doing the radio show, but decided not too... I doubt anyone would care to watch [img]smile.gif[/img]

Besides, then I couldn't do the radio show or draw in my underwear lol!!!
i wouldn't mind waatching, because i am so boredallday, i see no one but my kids all day and night,lol
Old 04-22-2003, 06:36 PM   #5
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Bardan and I got web cams. We use them through Yahoo and that is simple enough. The thing is, the frames update rather slowly, I mean, at least with ours, it is nothing like watching a video or anything. BUT we can see each other. To play a game, I just don't know how that would work. Voice chat in Yahoo is very good (Bardan and I use that all the time). Would that work for what you want to do? I have never played pen and paper, but could you talk your way through it?
<b>Order of the Holy Flame</b><br /><i>Member of Clan HADB</i><br /><b>Laughing Hyena</b><br /><i>Clan Liaison, IW Peace Keeping Force</i><br /><i>[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com/Forum/index.php?board=29\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River VoiceChat!</a><br />Last Saturday of every month. <br />See the forum link for scheduling!<br /><b> </b><br /></i><br /><b>Admin and Co-Owner of [url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River</a></b><br />[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\"></a>
Old 04-22-2003, 09:28 PM   #6
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Well, Reeka, you've raised a set of new questions for me. I'm not sure how good the sound quality would. Plus, would I have to go through a third party like Yahoo to connect to someone else? Or, can I connect directly with whomever the person I had in mind? Hmmm, I just don't know.
Old 04-22-2003, 09:31 PM   #7
Lioness
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Albromor:
Well, Reeka, you've raised a set of new questions for me. I'm not sure how good the sound quality would. Plus, would I have to go through a third party like Yahoo to connect to someone else? Or, can I connect directly with whomever the person I had in mind? Hmmm, I just don't know.
MSN and AIM also have that feature. There's also a program that may or may not be preinstalled on your computer called NetMeeting, that's worth looking at.
Old 04-22-2003, 11:31 PM   #8
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

what about your internet connection speed? will it affect how the pictures go?
Old 04-23-2003, 01:28 AM   #9
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Oh, yeah, your connection speed affects the performance. Anything less than 56k on both ends will be extremely noticable... think back to the first telephones and "Are you there? We're here... can you hear us?"

Netmeeting is a simple thing to use provided you're not behind a firewall. If you are, then you need to get a little bit fancy with it... in fact, fancier than I've ever wanted to try I just left it well enough alone.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.