Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 01-13-2001, 07:36 AM   #11
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Ok, I'll test out the lich character then and let ya know how it works out. LOL
Old 01-13-2001, 08:15 AM   #12
TLan

Desdicado, I agree with you.. I have to admit tho that I haven't yet played BG2 (or BG1 also, as a matter of fact) as a pure spellcaster. All this spell memorization and resting and casting etc aint my style . In every game what I can remember so far, I have always been a warrior or a paladin.

But, that is not to day that I wont try a mage. It will certainly be a challenge, especially to me who aint really into mages. But the game is worth trying it. Why I was maybe 'ticked' a bit is the question - why always all try to suggest to take kensai and then dual to a mage, or take a multiclass fighter/mage/thief.. I played the game twice thru while having both time "pure" class and had no problem whatsoever. Had cavalier, then berserker, at the moment I have assassin (which is quite fun), which allows me actually to have wider range of party members - I can pick the locks and disarm traps myself, so I don't need half the NPC's I used before. I can also fight fairly well, with the equipment I have now (and level/skills). I simply love the 'Hide in Shadows' and then backstab thingie, lovely to see most of the rabble fall (You did quintiple damage!), and the ones who do not fall get quite a smack in the back..

All in all, all those "dual from this at that level into this until that level and get this much something" sound like some boring statistics. Just take a char and play the game thru. Don't seek the 'best' choice.

Once I have it finished with the assassin, I think I'll go with cleric.. Or skald.

Old 01-13-2001, 08:48 AM   #13
Tobbin
Red Dragon

What you say is totally true. A pure class would be just as fun as if you ran a dual class. It all depends on your playing style. The main advantage over a multi-class character from a dual-class character is that you will be able to mix your experience however you want. Someone said they would prefer a fighter/thief multi-class over a fighter/thief dual-class.

Well, with the multi-class option, you can not alter this. With dual class, though, you can go up a certain amount as one class, then switch over to the other class. Whichever class you prefer, you could raise levels a lot faster cause your experience was ONLY going to the 2nd class. Granted, you can not raise levels in the first class anymore, but there it is. With multi-class, you ALWAYS have to split your experience, and let's not talk about a tri-class. OMG they go up slow.

I start off as a pure class of some kind in whatever game I'm playing. I did play as a Ranger in BGI. I just wanted to try something different with BGII. That's why I dual'ed immediately to a Thief/Cleric. Yes, I saved the character as both. Raised them both up simultaneously and when they both surpassed the 9th level of the Ranger, was able to gain the abilities of the Ranger as well. I pushed some of the statistics from the thief away from stealth, because I knew that I would get that back from the Ranger. So I was doing good with find/remove traps and pickpocket. I had an unexpected bonus with the Ranger/Cleric though, I gained druidical high level spells as well as clerical. I think the game in error on this point, but I will not complain. Overall, I have been very satisfied with how they turned out.

The next time through, I did play as a dwarf fighter/thief, but it just seemed to take forever to get to the same level I was at with my Ranger/thief, but he did get proficiencies and more attacks per level. He just seemed a bit more clumsy is all. I think I'll try an elf fighter/mu next time as I really prefer this class. Actually, I woulda loved a Ranger/Mu, but what they hey, use what you have, right?
Old 01-13-2001, 09:00 AM   #14
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Ahh, Memnoch you are so wise it hurts! LOL
Well I also like to play a little weaker character or different from what you are used to, I have never liked bards so I started out a game with a new character a bard and hell if I like the outcome alot!
You have t start to use your head to find advantages you never considered befor, somethings are easier, some are harder but it gives more length to BG2!
Old 01-13-2001, 09:15 AM   #15
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

The most successful character I've had is a swashbuckler/fighter. By level 10 you'll have gotten 300% points to divide amongst theiving skills and 3 proficiency points in dual wield, plus a decent armor class and bonus. When you dual to fighter you gain more proficiecies, to specialize in weapon skill. This combo gets more weapon proficiencies than a straight Kensai and you get to wear armor. The limitations are that your hit points will not be that great, but even without armor, it is reasonable to get a base AC of 3 (can get down below -10 with the right equipment). You'll never get the THACO of a Kensai, but this combo far surpasses a straight fighter.

I suppose a similar combo with a mage would work well, again because of the AC bonus.
Old 01-13-2001, 09:22 AM   #16
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

I prefer single classing. I don't like dualing because of the roleplay aspect.

A fighter progresses all the way through BG learning mastery of his sword, and then, all of a sudden he gives it all up and in the space of two or three days achieves a similar level of mastery in magic - something that normally takes years to achieve (all those years of study!)

C'mon!
Old 01-13-2001, 09:38 AM   #17
Armisael

Ack, dual's rightly getting the blunt end in this thread. I prefer to think of it like this; the fighter grows up training with his swords, shields, whatever, and goes out into the adventuring world. He gets to a certain stage whereupon he masters his weapon of choice and simply can't better himself with it any further. Favouring that weapon and not wanting to expand his field, he takes an interest in the arcane arts and leaves to study magic for however many months or years you like, or simply maintains his new practice throughout the story. True, it'd make more sense if you didn't have to surpass a level to pick up your old skills, but for the sake of game balance it doesn't worry me too much. Dual-classing doesn't have to be that inelegant.

Old 01-13-2001, 09:58 AM   #18
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Wel then you will love 3:ed rules! Dual classing and multiclassing easier then ever!
I hope 3:ed rules will be aplied soon in most Adod games..
Old 01-13-2001, 02:28 PM   #19
bocaj

I would suggest that you trying playing a monk. I am playing a monk right now and he is by far the funnest char I have ever played.

Old 01-13-2001, 06:56 PM   #20
Rikard T'Aranaxz
Harper

Wolfie from what i read
3rd editon doesn't aloow dualclass
if that is true AD&D is better then 3rd D&D