Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2001, 01:59 PM   #1
Barbra
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm no stranger to these types of games, but ID sure seems to have a higher level of fighting than most. I played Baldur's Gate with no problem, but I'm continually killed in ID.

My current problem is with all the goblins I encounter right after the avalanche. I can clear out all the goblins in the main area, but when I go north to the place where the goblins are eating the bugs, my mage *always* comes through as the first person in the party. No matter where I put her, or what configuration my party is in, she's first. She only has 6 hp, so when the two goblin archers target on her, she's dead immediately. How can I get around this? I tried everything - protection spells, healing her immediately, etc. etc. Nothing seems to work. What really should happen is that she should be the last person in the party, but nothing I do can get her there. Please help!
Barbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2001, 02:13 PM   #2
xavierbreth
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Barbra, if I may suggest. Highlight just the members of the party you want to enter into the goblin camp. Your mage should wait for you outside. If that does not work, as soon as you enter the goblin camp pause the game. Then send your PC's where you would like them to be, i.e. your mage to the rear. The goblins will attack the closest PC leaving your mage alone. I hope this works for you.- Xavier
xavierbreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2001, 02:37 PM   #3
Barbra
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Can I leave someone behind when I switch areas? I thought I got a "You must wait for your party to gather" message when I tried to make less than the full party go through. Hmmm... I wonder if I always have the whole party highlighted when I try that, though. I'll have to check.

I do pause as soon as I can when I enter the camp, but it's not soon enough. They always target before I can hit pause.
Old 04-04-2001, 05:04 PM   #4
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

SOme areas require a full party to enter, others do not. But do pause the game frequently (by hitting space-bar), to reassign locations and commands.

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2001, 02:32 PM   #5
Barbra
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I figured it out!

This area was *not* one where I could take a partial party. However, I did download the newest patch, and it appears to have fixed the problem with my mage always being first. I thought that looked like a bug - no matter where I put her in the party, once I went into the new area she always was first, and the goblin targeted her before I could pause.

Once I got the patch installed, the party went through in the proper order. Mage stayed in back, nice and protected. Goblins died. Whoohooo!
Old 04-06-2001, 02:40 PM   #6
Moiraine
Anubis

Hi Barbra ! A new Lady on the Board are you ? And a computer engineer, just like me ? Come meet us at the GD forum, and a warm welcome !

Sorry to intrude ...

------------------

The world is my oyster !
Moiraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2001, 05:11 PM   #7
Leafy
Zhentarim Guard

remember, the order in which you see the portraits on the right determines the marching order. click and drag portraits up and down to rearrange marching order (put the mage on the bottom)
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2001, 06:06 PM   #8
Balgin
Elminster

Okay, here's what the problem was. It's the same one that seemed to let that Ogre Hitman kill party magic users in Baldur's Gate when they walked into his pub. In BG the order that you're party entered an area in wasn't always the party marching order but the order in wich they joined the party! This often lead to vital character deaths and much frustration. I didn't know that it was a bug and just assumed that it was to make certain areas more challenging. It would seem that this has carried over into IWD. I hope you can sort it out because I haven't experienced it for ages.

------------------
Balgin, the Dwarf
Balgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2001, 09:16 AM   #9
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

Also, depending on where your party is moving to (amount of travel time) you can prepare your party ahead of time. When I know I'm going through a particularly "interesting door" I will cast shield on the mage.

I also try to keep the mage with at least one invisibility spell so that if he/she gets targeted by an enemy, he/she can just disappear and let the rest of the party deal with the trivialities of battle. I know invisibility and shield come later in the game, but don't hesitate to prepare ahead if you get the chance.
Father Bronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2001, 10:13 AM   #10
Saberlayne
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have also noticed that when my party is on the move my Mage (...starting at the rear of the pack) always gets there first because he walks quicker and has less burden

------------------
Saberlayne ~(----
Order of Blayde
Saberlayne is offline   Reply With Quote