Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-08-2001, 08:32 AM   #11
waverider
Symbol of Cyric

you used shadow keeper

whats the fun ?

the fun i the thoughest battels and so

------------------
Platinum Wizard of ALSB
Wizard at The Court of Lady Lioness
Protector of All Whats good
Old 10-08-2001, 08:35 AM   #12
StarVid
Elminster

Crymson...you don't need the healing spells if you defend yourself well. Even still, you'll just be carrying loads of heal pots.

There's no point to soloing if you're going to cheat.

Then again, there's no point to soloing in BG2. The game loses a lot of it's appeal without the interaction w/ NPCs
Old 10-08-2001, 08:50 AM   #13
waverider
Symbol of Cyric

ILL GO NEVER SOLO ALWAYS WITH AERIE OR SOME ONE WERE I CAN HAVE A ROMANCE WITH

------------------
Platinum Wizard of ALSB
Wizard at The Court of Lady Lioness
Protector of All Whats good
Old 10-08-2001, 03:26 PM   #14
Blackwolf
Dungeon Master

"I just don't get it... why do you want to solo the game? What's it with soloing? I mean don't get me wrong, but I never like being a loner..."

-----

Some people like tough challenges.

I have a friend who used to play Doom 2 while imposing strict rules on himself. How far can I get using only the pistol or only the chainsaw, not losing any health, etc.
Old 10-08-2001, 05:12 PM   #15
Terence The Unspecial
Dungeon Master

Take a look at this URL

http://members.home.net/mrkevvy/journal.html
Old 10-08-2001, 05:40 PM   #16
Cleric 2
Manshoon

I don't like soloing, I like to have friends whit me.

But I realy level up fast if you only 3 characters to chapter 3, and that the other 3
Old 10-08-2001, 06:07 PM   #17
AboveTheRimYo
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Location: Doughnut IV - Third largest starbase of the Doughnut Dimension
Wow. I can't say i expected as many replies (after only 1 day!) as ive seen, so thanks to all for some really useful advice so far.

As for questions etc., ill try to answer most if i can:
Firstly, i only used shadowkeeper for 2 reasons. One, without curing spells it took me about 30 days to cure my wounds while resting, and i didnt want to multi class to a cleric or something just for healing spells. Two, i realised that a mage has no trap detection, and again i didnt want to become a thief for just this reason alone. Without getting too defensive, ill point out that i havent touched shadowkeeper since creating my char, and ive played through on core difficulty up to this point.
Speaking of traps though, i have noticed two things: first, summoned monsters cant open chests or doors and thus disarm (or activate) traps themselves, second - i still have no way of disarming traps myself without the theiving skill. While most of the 'instant death' traps in the game are not compulsory for the main quest to pass, if i find myself up against one later on i will have no way to disarm it other than 'activate it & hope for the best' which is kind of scary.

On the subject of Maze, perhaps i didnt make myself clear but i simply meant that maze is VERY deadly solo, as it will instantly end the game if someone casts it on your character (already happened a few times too). hopefully ill be able to counter this later on with spell trap & improved magic resistance, the same for imprisonment (though at least with that spell they need to stand next to you to cast it).

As for the xp cap, i agree with everyone - soloing with less than 3mill max xp is pointless unless your a complete psycho or something. Thankfully i do have ToB installed however (ive even removed the xp cap on that just to be sure) so thats not a problem for me.

Crymson77 asks how i gave my char innate abilities in shadowkeeper: actually i didnt, they are simply 2 priest spells (cure light wounds & detect traps) which appear in the innate section. most innate abilities will be added to your char as spells that you can cast once per day from what ive noticed.

As for the question of 'why solo?' i guess i can say that ive created that many normal party games with all the npcs by now that it just got boring (aerie seems to whinge more each time). Soloing feels a lot more 'hardcore' to me, like your always on the edge & can die at any time. A great thing about it is that you get to make a char so powerful they can walk into a room & obliterate everything in a few seconds, but ill admit that casting all the protection spells i use (stoneskin, mirror image, etc.)before each big battle is pretty monotonous after awhile.

Oh, as a last thing tidbit for this post- ive just completed the first battle with irenicus (spellhold) solo, & it was the easiest ever. Only 1 clone appeared instead of six (was easily dispatched) then after an improved alacrity i summoned a planetar & 4 skeleton warriors in under 10 seconds(robe of vecna), along with a simulacrum buddy so i could tell myself how good i looked.
Almost felt sorry for irenicus actually... 'almost'
Old 10-08-2001, 09:04 PM   #18
floyd
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by StarVid:
...As for traps, just summon something to walk far enough ahead of you to trigger anything that could go off.

My 2 cents
This *should* work. It was my plan to do this, when I decided to forgo a thief in my previous party, and take Viconia instead. I believe it worked once or twice early on, but for some reason it NEVER works anymore. The creatures can just walk right through trap zones without triggering them. Its pretty damn annoying, as it is a logical tactic. This would be my biggest problem with soloing the game, as well. Its no fun to be turned to stone, or hit with a finger of death, in a solo game.

Old 10-08-2001, 10:32 PM   #19
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

"Mommy! Mommy! I don't wanna die from Imprisonment!"

That's why son, we have this nifty spell called Spell Immunity. Choose Abjuration to nullify Imprisonment.

Poisoned? Drink an antidote.

Trap spells? Spell Immunity.

Physical Traps? Stoneskins.

Oh yeah... Mages/Sorcerer can take the crap and dish it out too.

------------------
If not a Sorcerer casting total oblivion, then a Paladin meting out justice. Otherwise, I think I will just be a bard and torture my enemies with, "My Heart Will Go On".

Platinium Sorcerer of ALSB, Aerie Loving Sacred Band! She's MeowRrrr, and more!

-------------------------
Baldur's Gate Item Mart