Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 12-03-2001, 04:40 PM   #31
Debaser

i've tried quitting smoking cigarettes three or four times, and to no avail. it's really hard to resisit a cigarette after a big meal, while drinking alcohol, or right after toasting up a nice fat bowl. also, it's too hard to actually quit smoking when all your friends smoke like fiends. i'd have to be a hermit for a month or something to kick it...
Old 12-03-2001, 05:53 PM   #32
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
CONGRATS LILARA!!!!!!

Keep the days going and evenchally you will be succsesfull. Best of luck to you on day 3,4 and all the rest!!
Old 12-03-2001, 07:56 PM   #33
Elif Godson
Dracolich

Good luck on your quest. It is good that you are starting young,:rantmode:My Grandpa smoked for aboout 60 years, the family tried and tried toget him to quit and the one thing that did was the doctor telling himif he kept it up he wouldnt live another year. That's when he stopped cold turkey albiet a littlle to late. My gramp's got emphasima and had to walk around with an O2 tank. My grandfather was a really proud man and when it came to showing weakness well let's say it wasnt his best trait. If he couldnt do it on his own he preffered not to do it at all. If it wasnt for my grandmother he would have died much earlier. She made the old coot carry around that bottle. Well any waymy point is is that the emphasima got the best of him so after 72 yrs of marriage and 90 years of life he couldnt swing his hammer any more.

So quit while your ahead and still young enough to repair the damage
caused from smoking.
Old 12-03-2001, 08:01 PM   #34
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

I quit about 4 months ago. It was pretty rough, but it isn't impossible. What really helped me was Welbutrin. It is the same as
Zaiban, but Welbutrin is covered under most insurance companies. After you take it for a couple of weeks, the cigarettes start to taste really bad, and it is infinately easier to stop. Exercise helps alot too. I still jones sometimes, but for the most part I think I'm over it. Good luck!!!
\"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.\"<br />-General George Patton (1885-1945)<br /> <br />Member of CLAN HADB<br />Founder of The Anti Clan Coalition
Old 12-03-2001, 08:08 PM   #35
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by MILAMBER:
I quit about 4 months ago. It was pretty rough, but it isn't impossible. What really helped me was Welbutrin. It is the same as
Zaiban, but Welbutrin is covered under most insurance companies. After you take it for a couple of weeks, the cigarettes start to taste really bad, and it is infinately easier to stop. Exercise helps alot too. I still jones sometimes, but for the most part I think I'm over it. Good luck!!!

I desperately want to quit!

How does this medication work? You continue to smoke, but begin to find it undesirable? That would be awesome!

I'm on a diet and have given up eating most good things, so I'm not sure how much willpower I have left...lol.
Old 12-03-2001, 09:48 PM   #36
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Yeah, check it out. Most people have heard of Zaiban, and Welbutrin is chemically identical to Zaiban. The only difference is that Zaiban is marketed towards smokers while Welbutrin is for depression. Insurance companies will cover depression medication but not medication to help you quit smoking (don't ask me why).

Anyways, yeah, you start taking it and after a couple of weeks the cigarettes start to taste awful. You know how it is when you smoke too much in a night? You know how that makes your lungs feel kinda sore? Welbutrin makes all of your cigarettes taste like that and sooner or later if you keep taking it, you will quit. What I liked about it is you don't have to quit right away. You can tell yourself "Hey, I'm not planning on quitting, but I'll just take this pill and see what happens". Soon enough you will notice yourself cut back, and then quit.

I don't want to make it sound overly easy, because it isn't. It is still extremely difficult. I was in a very bad mood for a few days there, but this works much better then the patch and the gum. Those supplement your addiction. You aren't getting away from nicotine there, you are just taking it in a different way. This way you actually stop wanting the nicotine.
\"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.\"<br />-General George Patton (1885-1945)<br /> <br />Member of CLAN HADB<br />Founder of The Anti Clan Coalition
Old 12-03-2001, 10:01 PM   #37
mistral4543
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Hi Liliara,

I just wanted to wish you luck in achieving your goal. I am sure many are here cheering for you. [img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img]

PS. I have never smoked before, but always toyed with the idea of trying one... now I'm not so sure Wonder if it's much tougher than kicking the habit of drinking coffee [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img] I know there was a time when I would drink about 6-7 cups a day, but managed to wean off it completely within a day or two without any withdrawal symptoms.
Old 12-03-2001, 10:05 PM   #38
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

quote:
Originally posted by mistral4543:
Hi Liliara,

I just wanted to wish you luck in achieving your goal. I am sure many are here cheering for you. [img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img]

PS. I have never smoked before, but always toyed with the idea of trying one... now I'm not so sure Wonder if it's much tougher than kicking the habit of drinking coffee [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img] I know there was a time when I would drink about 6-7 cups a day, but managed to wean off it completely within a day or two without any withdrawal symptoms.

Coffee and cigarettes are not even in the same universe. I believe people who say cigarettes are as difficult to give up as heroin. The side effects might be more dramatic with heroin, but the psychological and habitual element to to giving up cigarettes is really difficult to get over.
Old 12-03-2001, 10:23 PM   #39
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
Hey I got an Idea...

Just tell the people at the stores you go to not to sell you any no mater what
Old 12-03-2001, 10:49 PM   #40
mistral4543
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

quote:
Originally posted by MILAMBER:

Coffee and cigarettes are not even in the same universe. I believe people who say cigarettes are as difficult to give up as heroin. The side effects might be more dramatic with heroin, but the psychological and habitual element to to giving up cigarettes is really difficult to get over.

Wow... sounds very challenging. But I'm sure Liliara will be able to break free from it, with all this support [img]smile.gif[/img]