Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-04-2001, 03:22 AM   #1
Ziroc

See, all this road rage, Children killing Children, mass murders at the office and crap, nearly EVERY SINGLE one of those people were on SOME type of Prozac.

Also, about the shark attacks:
I am thinking that since we have had entire barges/ships dumb raw sewage into the ocean, the prozac (And all the other psychotropic drugs) MAY be screwing with the sharks minds as well. I know it sounds far fetched, but weirder things have happened.

Remember Columbine? BOTH of them were on a form of Prozac.. and remember that guy from Saturday Night live? Gary Hartman?? (I think it's that name)--anyway, his wife shot him dead in his sleep.. she too was on Prozac..

Just wanted to share these ideas with you.. but can't you all 'feel' the change in people around you? Like everyone is impatient, pissed off, or ready to run you over? SOMETHING is changing, and this seemed to start when these mind Altering drugs were made available by prescription.

Eli Lilly -- Did you know that they were the creators of what the public call "LSD"? It was created in the 60's to help schizophrenia.

Crazy stuff... Anyone? Ideas? Opinions?

------------------
Ziroc™
Ironworks Webmaster
www.tgeweb.com/ironworks

Old 09-04-2001, 04:27 AM   #2
Sir_Tainly

Hmm well from personal experience, when I was on Prozac in '97, I just found I was just full of energy (so much I couldn't sleep) and was zooming around not being able to concentrate (not good considering it was given to me to help me get through my final year of Secondary school exams )

Personally from what I hear from friends / acquantances Doctors just proscribe prozac because their is little else then can do in the short term - Counselling takes months and they don't want people to do something silly in the meanwhile.
Also remember that a lot of people that get this drug are very depressed and so given that they are down and then boosted up, the cycle of extreme ups and downs probably doesn't do anybody's mindset a great deal of good.

------------------
Holy Avenger of the OHF and part time Pinguindiebjäger

Old 09-04-2001, 06:16 AM   #3
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I'm not a doctor, but I used to work for Johnson & Johnson Medical and know quite a bit out this. IMHO there are better SSRI (Selective Serotonin Re-Uptake Inhibitor) medications out there. Prozac was the first, but I can think of Zoloft (sertraline) and Paxil (paroxetine) off the top of my head as being very successful pharmacological treatments. Having said that Prozac has a very successful record of successful treatment of anxiety and depression. Too often the media focuses on people who have had adverse effects to medications, and hardly ever on the many more for whom the medication changed their lives.

What people fail to realize is that there is no "wonder drug" that someone can take that will automatically cure them of anxiety or depression. Illnesses should be treated with a combination of pharmacology and psychology. The medication acts to correct an imbalance in serotonin levels in your brain to get it to a state where the patient feels that they can exert enough willpower to take control of their own destiny. This treatment should be accompanied by some form of therapy to build the patient's confidence and self-belief.

What it is not, is a magic pill that someone can pop that makes them feel better about themselves. I think that a lot of this bad press about Prozac and other psychotropic drugs are the result of these medications being incorrectly prescribed without the appropriate psychological support (or people taking them for the wrong reason).

Just my 2c.

------------------
Old 09-04-2001, 06:21 AM   #4
Epona
Zartan

As far as I know, it is a known side effect of Prozac that it can make a minority of people overly aggressive and suicidal. It is the same with any treatment, people taking it should be checked regularly and monitored to make sure there are no undesirable affects.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 09-04-2001, 06:45 AM   #5
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Actually I think that Killers might use prozac, but prozac users are'nt killers.
The sort of people who are more likely to run over people, shoot their friends and cause general mayhem are'nt usually people of 100% sound and normal mind.

Dont you think that someone with say..violent tendancies would be more likely to use a form of medication like prozac than someone who is healthy both mentally and physically?
There's your link I'd say. The people behind these horrible things are'nt changed because of prozac..they are the way they are and therefore NEED prozac, and that's why many of the people you listed happen to use prozac(to cure depression).
Its not the prozac, its the people that need to use prozac..

------------------
Resident Lurker Guy
Old 09-04-2001, 06:57 AM   #6
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Lifetime:
Actually I think that Killers might use prozac, but prozac users are'nt killers.
The sort of people who are more likely to run over people, shoot their friends and cause general mayhem are'nt usually people of 100% sound and normal mind.

Dont you think that someone with say..violent tendancies would be more likely to use a form of medication like prozac than someone who is healthy both mentally and physically?
There's your link I'd say. The people behind these horrible things are'nt changed because of prozac..they are the way they are and therefore NEED prozac, and that's why many of the people you listed happen to use prozac(to cure depression).
Its not the prozac, its the people that need to use prozac..

That's a very good point. Of course most people who use prozac would never be violent whether on or off the drug (clinical depression etc. does not generally lead to violence for example, and it would be wrong to suggest that everyone with mental health issues is a potential killer, that is simply not true), but yes there is likely to be a slightly higher proportion of violent prozac users than non-users one would imagine. Correlation does not necessarily point to the cause.

------------------

Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 09-04-2001, 09:40 AM   #7
Ziroc

I'm sure all these SSRI drugs work for the majority of patients, but it's just getting scary.. check this site out, it also describes how most people that go on killing spree's are on SOME type of SSRI drug..

http://www.truebooks.com/prozac.html

PS: For those of you outside the USA, when you drive, can you almost 'feel' the anger or impatiance from other drivers? We have a lot of crazy drivers here in Florida.. just wondering..

I was put on Prozac (because I have chronic pain, and it was getting me down), and I took it for a week, and I seriously FELT different.. and I did something in the car (raced another around a curve and our lane merged into the other) and I said to myself "I would NEVER do this".. so I never took that stuff again. I just deal with my pain and keep positive.. I hate taking pills as it is..

Just wanted to let ya know, that scared me.

------------------
Ziroc™
Ironworks Webmaster
www.tgeweb.com/ironworks

Old 09-04-2001, 09:46 AM   #8
Ziroc

More info:

Luvox is another Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor (SSRI). Eric Harris, the "leader" in the Columbine High School tragedy, was taking this medication for depression. Although this drug, in the same class of drugs as Prozac, is approved for the treatment of obsessive compulsive disorder, doctors often give it for depression, since it is in the same SSRI class as Prozac and Zoloft.

Breggin's article states that:

"According to the manufacturer of Luvox, Solvay, 4% of children and youth taking Luvox developed mania during short-term controlled clinical trials. Mania is a psychosis which can produce bizarre, grandiose, highly elaborated destructive plans, including mass murder. Interestingly, in a recent controlled clinical trial, Prozac produced mania in the same age group at a rate of 6%). These are very high rates for drug-induced mania--much higher than those produced in adults. Yet the risk will be even higher during long-term clinical use where medical supervision, as in the case of Harris, is much more lax than in controlled clinical trials. These drugs also produce irritability, aggression or hostility, alienation, agitation, and loss of empathy."

Scary....

------------------
Ziroc™
Ironworks Webmaster
www.tgeweb.com/ironworks

Old 09-04-2001, 09:54 AM   #9
Epona
Zartan

Hence my point about monitoring people who are prescribed these drugs. Anything which inhibits or stimulates production of chemicals in the brain stands a risk of having very nasty effects. Is 4% a high percentage of people to suffer side effects? Nasty for that 4% and their nearest and dearest, but that's 96% for whom presumably the drug is doing what it should be doing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very wary about any medicines and I think you are right to be cautious - especially since it sounds as though you had a bad experience with it (heck, I can't take aspirin or Ibuprofen). I also think that seeing drugs as a miracle cure for depression etc. is dangerous - there is a tendency to give people pills nowadays which I don't agree with unless there is no other option. But isn't there also a danger of throwing the baby out with the bathwater?

------------------

Old 09-04-2001, 10:22 AM   #10
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Yikes! I've never taken any of the drugs in that family, but they really should be prescribed with care, as far as I can see. I know it's become so common for doctors to pass out Prozac that we joke about it in the popular culture. Someone says something negative and you can hear "Hey, what's the matter, forget your Prozac today?" , that sort of thing.

So I agree entirely that it should be prescribed with more care and that follow-up and monitoring should be the norm, even if the drug HAS been around a while.

Not the same thing- but in the ballpark. I had three heavily impacted wisdom teeth out several years ago and my dentist prescribed Percoset as a painkiller following the surgery. Well that stuff is a controlled substance (narcotic) and for a good reason I discovered. I got totally paranoid on it after a few days. Began to think I was being watched in my apartment, drove for groceries and at the store I was racing about with a cart thinking I was being followed. The feeling was like I would have crawled right out of my skin if I could, it was so bad. I creased the paint on my brand new car along a neighbor's bumper as I parked the car. I got inside my apt., sat on the living room floor and cried hysterically. I'd also had a phone call with a good friend (one of my closest since HS)where I'd apparently said things that really offended and upset her and I don't to this day know what I said!!! (we talked later and she was familiar with someone else on this drug going nuts and forgave me instantly when I mentioned Percoset!)

The upshot is that I immediately stopped taking the painkillers and that night I had horrible pain accompanied by an incredibly powerful NEED for the drug. I almost got up and took it despite knowing it made me act and feel badly. I had a very, VERY long night but got through it. Tylenol didn't touch the pain, but I knew I'd rather suffer that than get hooked on a narcotic that made me that loopy. Needless to say my dentist has entered : *NO PERCOSET* in his records for me. I know it is routinely given for severe pain. A friend had the stuff after her C-section delivery. Yet a faculty member in my dept. tells me his own sister got addicted to the drug and tried to commit suicide twice. She too, had paranoid delusions while taking it. She even went to multiple doctors who ALL gave her prescriptions for it! Scary thing, if you ask me.

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."