Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum > Wizards & Warriors Archives

Old 10-29-2000, 05:20 AM   #1
Freya

I seem to have a problem getting more than 1 hitpoint when I level my characters up. Now, on a wizard/warlock or even a rouge/ninja this would not be surprising - but the problem is there, if on a smaller scale, with my warriors andmy barbarian as well. What is wrong with this picture?

I have taken to always save before levelling a character up and then reloading if I get 1 hitpoint (as usual), even though this borders on cheating in my mind - if I didn't I would have level 7 warriors with 25 HP. Then I move around a bit, just on the off-chance that the game uses your location on the map-grid as one of the factors in the hitpoint calculating process. Then I save again and try again. It will typically take 15 tries to get anything but a 1. Heck, I settle for 3-4!! I'm not asking for 18.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and do you know a cure? Yes, my caracters have (relatively) high fortitude, this is a problem for my fortitude 18 barbarian as well... sigh.

Hopeful for help!
//Freya

Old 10-29-2000, 06:52 AM   #2
skywalker
Banned User

From The Strategy Guide:
"The number of Hit Points you gain when leveling up is actually quite complex. It is not a simple process whereby dice are rolled and that amount is automatically credited to the account. Instead, Hit Points are rerolled whenever a character makes a level-if the new total is lees than the character's current Hit Points, the character is only awarded one hit point-this ensures proper balance throughout the game, and that all similar characters will have reasonably consistent Hit Points. It should be noted that many factors are evaluated to determine how many Hit Points a character should have.
It is possible to save a game before you level up and then keep re-loading until you get a result that you consider favorable. However, in the long run a character's Hit Point total will acerage out so this tactic mat be self-defeating and time consuming." Author Sion Rodriguez y Gibson

I usually reroll not because of 1 hit point, but usually if I get only 1 attribute point. I hope this helps.
Old 10-29-2000, 08:05 AM   #3
Freya

Yes, thankyou.

I'll just stop worrying about it then and accept my 1 hitpoint roll as a result of a previous lucky roll bringing the characters hitpoints to above what the game conciders correct. Thankyou for your help.

//Freya

Old 10-29-2000, 05:50 PM   #4
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

Hi Freya

Give it a little time, usually around level 12 or so, you'll get a huge boon of HP. I had a female Dwarf Barbarian who got 36 HP in one level. Then a Gnome Paladin got 30 once, and 32 another.

Eventually, it will all work out. Near the end of the game, my Dwarf has almost 200 HP, the Gnome has about 180. I didn't use the HP cheat trick, but did use a wish from the lamp for a pixie to gain 25 HP. Its a good choice.

If you change class a lot like I have, those little 1 HP's will add up, I have a farie who now has about 130 HP, but as I said did have the wish for 25 extra.

Good luck!

Scronan
Old 10-30-2000, 04:59 AM   #5
Laurence
Welcomed New User

Not willing to wait for level 12 to get reasonable hitpoints as Barbarian because aiming at Paladin - and then would have to wait to beyond that level before getting any benefits as Paladin, wouldn't I?
I also was disappointed that not getting more than 1 hit even after exceeding Warrior level as Barbarian - wish now I hadn't bothered with that intermediate class!
Old 10-30-2000, 05:48 AM   #6
skywalker
Banned User

You usually don't get more than 1 hit point increase before you pass the previous role in level. I immediately changed my fighters to barbarians before the first level gain so I could get the most hitpoints per level.