Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2003, 02:30 AM   #11
lethoso
Manshoon

you can be very blunt when you try yorick [img]smile.gif[/img]

i don't really see how this is anything special though, and i can't see that it will achieve anything at all. Whooptifarkingdoo... the RIAA is busting 4 whole pirater, like that is going to make any difference at all to overall piracy numbers....

they should go after the cause of the problem (which is happening in some cases) rather than fighting the symptoms... in some cases them fighting the symptoms (ie. copy protection cd's that don't work in pc's) actually makes things worse for them.....
Old 04-05-2003, 03:04 AM   #12
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Quote:
Originally posted by Arvon:
Bet their sales would be higher if the quality of the product were higher.

Which brings me to another point. Why is intellectual material protected for ever but a really good invention only protected for 17 years? Something is wrong here.

And if any other product is not up to your (subjective) standards, does that give you a license to steal it?

As for your whingeing about intellectual property being owned by the person who made it, your view sickens me. Totally. You, the person who takes others material from the net, posts it under your own name without quotes or links, then has the GALL to say something is wrong with a writer/composer owning their work for life?? Unbelievable Arvon. Try creating your own stuff and let's see how you feel.

If you don't like the music being made, make your own.
[/QUOTE]I'm pretty sure he meant that 17 years was not enough...

But seriously, jokes are not copyrighted. They have all been going around for years. When I am at a bar having fun with some friends, and one tell a joke, he never say "This joke was invented by John smith in 1954...".

No one know who first started a particullar joke. And out of all the jokes website I have visited, none ever claimed copyright to any jokes.
Old 04-05-2003, 03:23 AM   #13
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Quote:
Originally posted by Arvon:
Bet their sales would be higher if the quality of the product were higher.

Which brings me to another point. Why is intellectual material protected for ever but a really good invention only protected for 17 years? Something is wrong here.

And if any other product is not up to your (subjective) standards, does that give you a license to steal it?

As for your whingeing about intellectual property being owned by the person who made it, your view sickens me. Totally. You, the person who takes others material from the net, posts it under your own name without quotes or links, then has the GALL to say something is wrong with a writer/composer owning their work for life?? Unbelievable Arvon. Try creating your own stuff and let's see how you feel.

If you don't like the music being made, make your own.
[/QUOTE]I'm pretty sure he meant that 17 years was not enough...

But seriously, jokes are not copyrighted. They have all been going around for years. When I am at a bar having fun with some friends, and one tell a joke, he never say "This joke was invented by John smith in 1954...".

No one know who first started a particullar joke. And out of all the jokes website I have visited, none ever claimed copyright to any jokes.
[/QUOTE]But if you saw a gag on Seinfeld would you mention it or pass it off as your own?

Anyhow, comedy writers get paid to create humor. Comedic writing is an artform like any other. Whether it's another art getting ripped by the internet "sharing" is another issue.

[ 04-05-2003, 03:25 AM: Message edited by: Yorick ]

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 04-05-2003, 03:51 AM   #14
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Most jokes are VERY old. Sure, if you take an original joke from a comedy show and use it without reference, it's bad, but most of the time, even them use old jokes.

There are probably millions of jokes, some are probably hundreds of years old. Do you look for copyright information before telling a blonde joke to one of your friend?

By accusing Arvon of "stealing" jokes, you just called about everyone on the planet a thief, including yourself probably. Or have you never told a joke to someone?

Have your parents ever told a joke without saying some copyright information after it? You better call them and tell them you think they are thieves...

[ 04-05-2003, 04:05 AM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Old 04-05-2003, 05:08 AM   #15
andrewas
Harper

While copyright theft is certainly a bad thing, the music industry dosent sell me what I want to buy. An album might be decent value if it had loads of decent tracks on it, but none of them do. So to get a CD worth listening to, I have to buy a few albums and copy them over.

Selling single MP3s over the net would fix that. If it was done in conjunction with those who designed the fasttrack and gnutella networks, it could be made secure. If it was done in opposition to those networks, it would fail miserably.

Besides, suing a couple of students who were using internal networks, not internet sharing, isnt going to affect the big picture.

Oh and, why in the hells should I pay extra because of the music video. Its not on the CD I buy, and if it is I have better things to look at. Only time I ever see the damn things is when Im in burger king and they have MTV on. And even then I read the paper instead.

Oh, and another thing. Remember that copy-protection that was designed to disable PC CDROMs, or in fact anything more sophisticated than a plain audio player? Yes, prevent piracy by making it impossible to play the music in large proportion of CD players. In fact, I dont own another kind. This is a brilliant way to make money isnt it.
Old 04-05-2003, 10:31 AM   #16
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Good points anrewas. Personally I think the solution is micropayments. Those with mobile phones should be able to pay with their phone account so the money goes on your phone bill (Vodafone are already doing this with many small products, soon it will be available just like a credit card service except it's a phone bill pay service from your phone company). Then you could buy say, 1 track for Ł1 and that's fair. Also, it should cost less than 1 track does on an album because MP3s are inherantly lower quality than CD music, except perhaps when encoded at very high bit rates.
It is true that most albums will contain a few good "leading" tracks and the rest are just space fillers. Then you say, buy a single? Yeah right: Ł3 for a single track.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 04-06-2003, 03:15 AM   #17
Charlie
Lord Ao

I don't reckon anyone's ever claimed copyright per se for a joke. Jokes happen and are often made up ad lib....added to.

Music is a different thing in some ways. Someone has individually taken thoughts and notes from their mind and put them to paper. As far as I'm concerned they are still the owner and have the right to say how that material is used.

Jokes, although sometimes made up for a particular instance, ie a film or whatever, are still a different thing, totally different.
[img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/england1.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />One Love, Peace. [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/pissr.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/piss.gif\" alt=\" - \" />
Old 04-06-2003, 03:33 AM   #18
pcgiant
Symbol of Cyric

Question Mark

I point I'd like to make:
In the past I have downloaded music from the Internet. If the music was good quality, or if there was a certain song I've heard before and wanted to listen to, I would then buy the album. If I've heard a band was good but had never heard any of their songs, I would download them. Needless to say, if I didn't like the song, I would delete it. If I liked it, I would buy the CD. I have bought four CDs from bands I have downloaded from the Internet: System of a Down's Toxicity, Tool's Lateralus, and Slipknot's self titled album and Slipknot's Iowa. I currently do not have any songs from the Internet on my computer. So, in this case, certain bands have profited from my downloading 'pirated' versions of their songs.

Therefore, audio piracy is not ALL bad.
Old 04-06-2003, 12:28 PM   #19
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

I've posted about this before, if I get up the energy (sniffle) I might post a reference to the thread where I posted several URLs about mp3 sharing and piracy issues. (None of them have much good to say about the RIAA - including professional musicians of 35 years or more)

Basically, the music industry is a big ripoff and instead of being the heavy, the RIAA should be making the industry competitive!

Having said that, I just purchased the Linkin Park - Meteora SE cd/dvd set for cdn$23 and I thought it was worth it (the standard cd was cdn$18). Great album - and I don't usually listen to stuff that heavy, very interesting mix of styles.
Old 04-06-2003, 12:33 PM   #20
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:

4 Students Sued Over Music Sites

SNIP
Good! People who download music movies or games off the internet are THIEVES, they are STEALING this music, it's about bloody time (to quote Yorick) that they were stopped!

To PCgiant: ever heard of something called the Radio?

[ 04-06-2003, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: Kaltia ]

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.