Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 07-27-2003, 10:08 PM   #1
Albromor
Mephistopheles

I have heard that the single campaign play is not all that strong. Many people that I have read said the NWN's real strength is multiplayer. One person on another gaming forum went so far as to say NWN in the single campaign is Diablo 3. So since I only have a dial up service that doesn't get over 21600 bps (phone lines)and I won't be going to Cable until some time in September, it seems to me that the best thing for me to do is wait until I get cable. Or, do you think the SC should do me fine right now?

[ 07-27-2003, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: Albromor ]
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 11:10 PM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

You will certainly be able to play online it's just with a connection speed like that you may time or lag out more often. 56k is the minimum under recommendations for this game and works fine IMHO. Cable would obviously be better but really, it depends on what kind of connection the server you are playing on is equiped with.

[ 07-27-2003, 11:12 PM: Message edited by: SpiritWarrior ]
Old 07-28-2003, 01:55 PM   #3
Stratos
Vampire

It says 'Connecting as a Client -56k Modem' in the minimum specifications but broadband is recommended. I have ADSL and it works fine, but I don't know how well a 'dial-upper' will do.

The OC in NWN has alot in the way of hack'n'slash but it's pretty decent none the less even though your're likely only to play it through once.
Aside from multi-player there are alot of modules to download, both single player and multiplayer.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:01 PM   #4
Chewbacca
Zartan

Even if you find the OC not too your taste the many fan-made single player modules avaulable make the game worth it. Get a decent download manager, queu up some modules at the NW vault before you goto bed and in the morning you'll have hours of free gaming. Many good modules are available that aren't too big a downlaod.

The OC isnt all hack-n-slash, it sure ain't diablo 3 either. Many people liked it, just seems like those that didnt were quite loud about it.
Old 07-29-2003, 08:25 AM   #5
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Stratos,

I routinely play NWN in multiplayer mode over a 56k dial-up with little problem, so it is definitely doable. I'm just selective about which servers I enter (ping rates and all that). [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 10:54 AM   #6
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

Micah Foehammer I am one of those evil high speed Internet people. [img]smile.gif[/img] Albromor was saying he can only connect at 21600 to his ISP. What is your normal connect speed. Also even though the download speed is 56000 I do not think the upload speed of 33000 has been fixed yet. Also does anyone that is on dial up have a company that is doing the 5X faster over the existing 56K dial up modems like http://www.netzero.net is doing. I am kind of curious as to how well this works seeing as how both sides have to be running some sort of compression for this to work. I kind of think the compression might hurt NWN since it is streaming info. When you are downloading a webpage no big deal if it using more processor power to do the compression. Also if hits lags because it has to decode what it just got no big deal but video games this would be different but I do not really know hence why I ask.

Granamere

Never mind it I broke down and read the webpage. OK I am a techie. Techie's do not read manuals it is aggainst the code. The site states that steaming media is not compressed. So that answers that question.

[ 07-29-2003, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: Granamere ]
Granamere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 04:30 PM   #7
Dirt Monkey
Elite Waterdeep Guard

i'm waiting, the best thing about the game is the mod maker anyway so i'll only buy it when the price has lowered.
Dirt Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 04:54 PM   #8
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Multi-Player is also good. Single Player....it sucks in my humble opinion.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 05:27 PM   #9
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Xen, I think you're wrong about single player, especially in SoU - but that's just my opinion.

Granamere - ******WHOOSH****** Well THAT flew right by me. LOL You're right, I missed Albromor's comment about the 21600 rate. That might be an issue. I would MUCH rather be on high speed myself, but I'm just outside the effective DSL system. The local cable company is filled with the Devil's spawn and I refuse to get their service.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 05:30 PM   #10
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Yes but I consider SoU as a totally diffrent game. But you`re correct Micah Foehammer. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote