Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 09-14-2005, 08:00 AM   #21
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

That's approximately my opinion too, Intrepid...Lappy-de-Muerte may soon have Linux on it.

Is that what you really want to say?
Ilander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 08:35 AM   #22
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Intrepid:
(I have to admit though, vector graphics sounds pretty cool)
And has been in both major linux Desktop Environments for ages. Time for you to get used to the OS that *doesn't* need more expensive hardware than all your other apps combined. [img]smile.gif[/img]
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 12:10 PM   #23
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Something relevant (if slightly off-topic) is Microsofts ideas fror DirectX 10.

From Transgaming

Quote:
DirectX 10 is, in many respects, a brand new API. Microsoft has done a great job in choosing the core feature set of the API...removing much of the crustier portions...

Unfortunately, part of the way in which they've accomplished this was by declaring that DirectX 10 would be available only on Windows Vista, and that it would only work with entirely new graphics cards that won't even be released until 2006!
Gnyah! So gamers will eventually be forced to buy this hog of an operating system!
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 12:22 PM   #24
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

I actually like the thought of my video card sharing the load with my processor... it makes them a necessity and also more well-rounded (not to mention I saw Radeon vid cards Crossfire Series). But still, they are requiring an entire outfit switch... My PC sounds obsolete already. *sighs*
Bahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 12:39 PM   #25
mad=dog

But! Why on earth not focus on what windows LACKS and people WANT? I am talking multiple desktops and a pager here. I am talking a liberal graphical environment where you can choose which layout manager to use (KDE, gnome, XFCE or for the eye-candy lovin' hollywood OS Enlightenment). I am talking flexibility.
Thoran you will have to excuse my ambiguous statement. What I intended to say was "microsoft has been setting the pace for nearly 2 decades. seems like they want to do that one last time."
Vista looks like a "same sh*t, new wrapping" solution and that is not the proper way to tackle a quite flexible and usable alternative. There is very little creative thinking in Vista here. It's almost like a bunch of hardware programmers gone haywire and completely out of control. Windows NEEDS to be retyped from the bottom up. I agree with that sentiment. The old system is simply too poor (took them forever to figure out how to change the layout for XP for instance). I just don't think this is a problem-solving solution. And I detest that.
As for DX10, gaming and all that. Bah. I game too little to carry a voice in that context. However if I produced games I'd start to look at live bootable CD solutions with an option to grab a harddisc partition for permanent installation. That way you don't have (much of) a bothersome OS underneath. Wether these solutions should be in-house, Linux or MS based is not an issue. The first step in solving a problem is to identify the orign.

[ 09-14-2005, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: mad=dog ]
Old 09-14-2005, 03:17 PM   #26
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

...so, anyone want to volunteer to create a new OS from the 1's and 0's up?

Didn't think so.

No programmer ALIVE wants to do that.

Is that what you really want to say?
Ilander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 09:34 PM   #27
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Ilander, it's been done. GNU OS for example was coded completely from scratch starting in the mid-80's. Its kernel (HURD) still isn't ready yet, but since 1992 (the rest of the basic OS *was* ready then - the now-official GUI for the GNU Project wasn't started until 1997, though) we've had Linux to use instead (also coded from scratch, based very loosely on Minix's kernel - which was also coded from scratch).

[ 09-14-2005, 09:37 PM: Message edited by: LennonCook ]
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 10:55 PM   #28
Kynaeus
Drow Warrior

Hopefully someday soon, one of those "undesireable" types will get ahold of Vista and strip down all the unneccessary stuff and then release that for public use. Otherwise I'm going to use this computer for gaming, and another far more powerful just to run windows. BULLLLL ****!
Kynaeus is offline   Reply With Quote