Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2005, 09:15 PM   #1
mountain_hare

Hi, I'm playing a solo multi-class Cleric/Mage (not in Tactics, since I'm rather new to this character). I'm curious as to what good spell combos/tactics there are. For example, I find 'Free Action', 'Greater Malison' and 'Web' wins me a heck of a lot of battles.

And which buffing spells are worthwhile?

By the way, do 'Greater Malison' and 'Doom' stack?

[ 05-17-2005, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: The Mountain Hare ]
Old 05-18-2005, 12:29 AM   #2
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

I can answer your last question: Yes, GM and Doom stack. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-18-2005, 01:20 AM   #3
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

I suggest you take some time and go through this: Spell Reference.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 05:22 AM   #4
mountain_hare

Quote:
I suggest you take some time and go through this: Spell Reference.
I've read that several times before. I was hoping for some creative ideas from a responsive audience, not an unresponsive web site. I'm sure you've got far better tactics than that site (since it hasn't been updated for quite a while...)
Old 05-18-2005, 06:23 AM   #5
White Lancer
Drizzt Do'Urden

My personal favorite is magic missiles in spell sequencers... if you have 4 mages in your group, each with 3 MMs in a trigger, thats 60 missiles... from memory, that would be 60d4 (60-240) damage thats nothing to sniff at.

Malison+feeblemind is always good... many times Firkragg has fallen to that tactic. I even managed to knock him unconscious once by attacking him with just my fists... and waiting a long time... Must give credit to Dundee Slaytern for these ideas though, as it was his screen shots that compelled me to do it [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Time stop+harm is good, all attacks hit in a time stop, so that cancels Harm's only problem as far as im concerned. Also works if your target is held/stunned.

Invisibility and blade barrier ive heard works wonders, even if it is a bit cheesey.

Good luck with these, and try to come up with some of your own.
It deons\'t mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, it olny mtaetrs taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be croecrt. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it. The huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
White Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 03:02 PM   #6
JayS
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by White Lancer:
My personal favorite is magic missiles in spell sequencers... if you have 4 mages in your group, each with 3 MMs in a trigger, thats 60 missiles... from memory, that would be 60d4 (60-240) damage thats nothing to sniff at.
Is there something I'm missing here? That should be 12 magic missiles.
JayS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 03:10 PM   #7
whathuh
The Magister

12 castings of magic missiles. Each magic missile casting results in usually 5 missiles since spell sequencer requires that high a level to release 5 missiles. 12*6=60. Also, its actually 60d4 + 60, since each missile does 2-5 damage.
whathuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 03:15 PM   #8
JayS
Dungeon Master

Oh i see [img]smile.gif[/img] Thanks
JayS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 07:03 PM   #9
White Lancer
Drizzt Do'Urden

Well there ya go then, 120-300 damage, which is even better. Overkill i'll grant you, and the only monsters that are big enough to require that many missiles to kill all have insane magic resists. But it looks cool [img]smile.gif[/img] providing your computer doesn't crash.

Thanks for the correction there whathuh, i'm just going from memory here, no manual
It deons\'t mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, it olny mtaetrs taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be croecrt. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it. The huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
White Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 11:16 PM   #10
whathuh
The Magister

Try this on for damage:

Assassin level 21 dualled to fighter level 30 or so. Backstab w/ quietus and sword of olidamarra (both increase backstab by 1) and critical strike, while wearing fire giant belt.

((2d3+5+1+10)*9)*2)=[324,576] damage

Now THAT'S what I call overkill. Too bad so many monsters wear helmets and have immunity to backstab.
whathuh is offline   Reply With Quote