Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-17-2011, 11:02 PM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Default Is this what society is coming to?

This is really disturbing.

Quote:
'A seriously ill society': hit-run case of little Yueyue shocks China - and the world

Megan Levy
October 18, 2011 - 1:20PM

A two-year-old girl who was struck by a vehicle in a hit-and-run accident in China was ignored by more than a dozen passers-by as she lay critically injured on the road.

Surveillance footage of the horrifying incident on Thursday has sparked outrage and disbelief on China's hugely popular social media sites, where an anguished public debate has broken out about the state of Chinese society.

The footage shows the young girl, named Yueyue, toddling into the path of a van outside her family's shop in a busy wholesale market in the southern Chinese city of Fosham.

The van hits the girl and momentarily stops, before the driver continues, crushing the child again beneath his rear wheels.

What unfolds next is arguably even more shocking.

Up to 18 passers-by are seen in the footage ignoring Yueyue as she lies critically injured and bleeding on the road, with several even changing their walking path to veer around her body.

A man on a scooter steers around the toddler and looks at her body before continuing down the street, as a second van approaches and drives over the girl's legs.

Another motorcyclist applies his brakes and clearly looks at the girl, lying in a pool of blood, before driving off. The scene is repeated as rickshaws and pedestrians give her a wide berth.

It is not until seven minutes later that a street cleaner, later identified as 58-year-old Chen Xianmei, comes to the girl's aid and lifts her from the road, calling for help.

She was ignored by several shopkeepers before finally tracking down Yueyue's mother who took her to hospital.

The Shanghai Daily reported that Yueyue was in a coma in the intensive care unit of a military hospital in the city of Guangzhou but had shown some improvement.

Her mother, Qu, has reportedly set up a blog to post updates on her daughter's condition.

"We have received numerous phone calls expressing strong will to help us," she wrote. "We are speechless and grateful."

Doctors said the girl had suffered major head injuries and was breathing only with the assistance of a ventilator.

"She would not be able to survive any operations. She's very close to brain death," a spokesman for the hospital told news agency AFP.

The highly distressing surveillance footage was uploaded on the popular Youku video sharing site, and attracted more than a million views in a number of hours.

In response, one person lamented: "This society is seriously ill. Even cats and dogs shouldn't be treated so heartlessly."

Another user wrote: "Really, what is up with our society? I saw this and my heart went cold. Everyone needs to do some soul searching about ending this kind of indifference.''

But others linked the incident to an earlier case in which a man who tried to help an elderly woman after she fell over was prosecuted, apparently because his intervention broke government rules on dealing with accident victims.

Police have detained the drivers of both vehicles involved in the incident, Xinhua news agency said.

The man who allegedly drove the second van, surnamed Jiang, was arrested about 9pm on the evening of the accident. The first van driver, named Hu, surrendered to police on Sunday afternoon.

Yueyue is believed to live with her parents and seven-year-old brother in a house near the wholesale market.

Her mother was hanging out washing upstairs when Yueyue went out with her brother to play with their friends.

- with agencies

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/world/a-seriou...018-1ltv1.html

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:12 PM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Default Re: Is this what society is coming to?

Disturbing. But then, in somewhere like China the overcrowding and population are such an issue that spectacles like this are not as uncommon as you'd think. Usually it's an adult passed out on the street - injured or not by the slums. Many pedestrians see blood and get scared or are afraid they might catch something. Not making excuses, but it is what it is. I haven't seen the video that the article discusses (can barely look at the stills without cringing) so I don't know how many saw it happen and walked away immediately. India is another place that is frickin horrific for stuff like this. People are treated like bugs in some places.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:25 AM   #3
Azred
Drow Priestess

Ironworks Forum Re: Is this what society is coming to?

The news story said 18 people walked by, but the video doesn't show that many; however, it does show at least 5--most of whom walked around the child lying in the street. This is only the latest Kitty Genovese-type story which happen more often than people think.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:32 PM   #4
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Well, here are the excuses from those who walked around her - they claim they "didn't see her".

Quote:
Many of the 18 people who passed Yueyue's limp body denied they had seen the wounded girl, except for one mother who said she was ashamed of her behaviour, the Shanghai Daily News said.

The woman, who was walking through the market with her five-year-old daughter at the time, claimed she and her daughter were frightened after seeing blood spattered on the road.

The woman said she believed Yueyue had been injured in a fall while playing and did not know she had been struck by two vans.

A shopkeeper who also featured in the shocking CCTV footage said he had been harassed by customers since the incident.

The footage shows him walking out of his plumbing shop and apparently looking at the girl before leaving, however the shopkeeper claimed not to have seen her.

"[I swear to the God] if I had seen the girl, I would die in your face," the Shanghai Daily News reported him as saying.

A motorcyclist who rode away from the tragedy said it was too dim and he believed crying sounds were coming from a nearby shop.

Meanwhile, the street cleaner who came to Yueyue's aid seven minutes after she was first hit has received a 25,000 yuan ($3800) reward from the local government.

The cleaner, identified as 58-year-old Chen Xianmei, said she only did what she believed was right and did not think she deserved the reward.

However, she believed people would accuse her of seeking fame if she rejected the reward. She plans to donate some of it to help with the girl's medical expenses.

The highly distressing surveillance footage was uploaded on the popular Youku video sharing site, and has been viewed millions of times.

It has led to much soul searching in China about why bystanders appear reluctant to help strangers in distress.

Police have detained the drivers of both vehicles involved in the incident, Xinhua news agency said.

The man who allegedly drove the second van, surnamed Jiang, was arrested about 9pm on the evening of the accident.

The first van driver, named Hu, surrendered to police on Sunday afternoon.

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/world/it-was-t...019-1m6rv.html
How can you not see something like that? The video clearly shows people swerving away from her body.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:33 PM   #5
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I can't watch the vid so I will take your word for it. I am glad the government gave the lady money, but it says little about a people when they need a cash incentive to aid a toddler in such a situation.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:28 AM   #6
Azred
Drow Priestess

Ironworks Forum Re: Is this what society is coming to?

Kitty Genovese, like I said. They all saw; they simply didn't want to get involved for whatever reason. I have no idea what the "Good Samaritan" laws might or might not be in China. Here in the United States we are required to stop and render aid, especially if trained in first aid like my wife is or if we are involved in the accident. Trying to help absolves you of liability in most circumstances.

Seriously, though, with all we see in the news regularly are we really shocked or surprised by this?

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:26 PM   #7
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Maybe because the 18 people scared of being sued by the little girl's parent for knocking down their child?

http://www.whatsontianjin.com/news-1...ide-court.html

However, where is the little girl's parent or guardian? Why are they letting a little girl cross the road?

Or in my place, if you stop to help, you'll be beaten up by the person's family members and relatives and distant relatives and so on and so forth. Because it's clearly you are the one who knock down that person... Strange ain't it?
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:52 PM   #8
Daniel
Symbol of Cyric

An old boss from a previous job once told me about a similar experience he had witnessed, whilst on a business trip to China.

I'm not sure where exactly in the country they were, but they witnessed a young chap get thrown off his bike during a traffic accident on a busy street, within moments a crowd had congregated around the poor chap, but not to help him, oh no.

They were to busy fighting with each other over who would get to take home the guys bike!

Its sad, but it seems we live in such different worlds.

Last edited by Daniel; 10-25-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:30 PM   #9
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

I saw this online last week, and was very sad to hear the little girl died. It is awful that people didn't just hit her and kept going, but passersby just ignored her lying there.

And it is not just China. I will never forget about 10 years ago, in my area here in America, where I was walking in a subway long entrance and this older woman just collapsed about 20 feet in front of me. There were many people ahead of me who just looked, and walked on by, ignoring her. I ended up running to the info booth and telling them there was a woman down and they called the paramedics. After that I went back and luckily some other man was there, kneeling down next to her. He took off his jacket and made a pillow for her, she was still semi-concious. I told him the paramedics were on the way. Eventually they came and hopefully she ended up OK. But I will never forget how so many just glanced at her and kept going on their own way. Sad...

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:20 AM   #10
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Not quite the same but.....

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairba...adams_alle.php