Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-15-2008, 11:23 AM   #1
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Default Car window wrap.

Issue: Spousal unit's car, passenger side window, electro-mechanical fault, down position.
Resolution: Will require a trip to the dealer.
Issue: Window is down, and I cannot get full access to window to bring it up and jam into place.
Issue: Dealer is 48 miles North. Work load, rain currently, going to snow overnight, cool to cold next week, etc...

While stationed in Germany, I encountered a window "foil", think automotive grade "saran wrap", this stuff was self adhesive to the window frame, and withstood the environment to 200Kph. This car, nor us are are ready to place a clear trash bag with duct tape over it to get to the dealer.

Does anybody have any idea where I might get this *HERE* or similar ideas to cover the window opening for the trip?

Prognosis: The cable spool has lost the cable, therefore no movement of window. Motor and regulator still functional. There is a metal plate (as opposed to clear membrane) over the interior door cover that is not listed on the DIY form the VW forum user group. I cannot remove the metal plate, and the DIY ends with careful removal of clear membrane. This is a "X" as in GLX version, or all the bells and whistles, well no whistles as the metal plate keeps that at bay!

FYI: The door panel is removed, as well as the electric controls, motor, regulator, etc... This metal plate is mounted where the clear membrane *should* be mounted.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 01:03 PM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Default Re: Car window wrap.

Hmmm.... a trip to an arts supply store should provide you with a sheet of clear plastic that you can cut to fit the remaining opening, and then put in place through whatever makes sense to you. If you can't find a way to bring the window up, that would block the wind and still let you see. And only cost around $10 or so, I think.... not terribly expensive.

Unfortunately, I don't have another idea on how to get the window up. Perhaps manually picking it up (since the door panel's off) and wedging a stick or something in to hold it up?
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 03:40 PM   #3
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Did you save the plastic from the mattress you last bought? Or some clear plastic that has a high mil rate?

You could try opening the door and then saran wrapping the top of it? It should get you to the dealer.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:31 PM   #4
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Both ideas are good, tanks.
After six hours of slow poking and prodding with the internal panel, and Internet searching for said panel, I found the gold mine, kind of. This one described that the window was still operational, if window is stuck down, the weight of the window is transfered to the internal panel, etc...Two person task, one person needs to pry the bottom panel out and push their hand into the opening, then push up on the obstruction (the window). The second person has to hold the window straight, and guide it (without it falling all the way out) up from the other person. Then tape window to the car door with heavy duty tape, and follow DIY number three. Whew! It's up, supported with a padded 1x2 for primary support, and a sheet of corrugated cardboard for secondary support. Along the way I found a dealer recall on this exact problem. Since we are the original owners, we know this recall has not been conducted, as well as the difference in parts. Calling the dealer Monday with a hey, got an alert from my NHSTA account about this recall, any ideas? If so, away it goes. If not, placing the repair kit order Monday afternoon, should take less than two hours now that it has been done once.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:01 PM   #5
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Good to hear!
Old 11-18-2008, 01:39 AM   #6
thecarrotdude
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix The Assassin View Post
This car, nor us are are ready to place a clear trash bag with duct tape over it to get to the dealer.
Why?

"Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler..."
- Milton Waddams
thecarrotdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:21 AM   #7
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecarrotdude View Post
Why?
Why not?

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:04 AM   #8
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Oh... I feel another stupid question thread coming on...
Old 11-18-2008, 09:44 AM   #9
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Do you really think you could bring something like that back from the grave, Variol?
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:47 AM   #10
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungleau View Post
Do you really think you could bring something like that back from the grave, Variol?
O Ye of little faith..