Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2004, 05:51 PM   #301
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

fourty to one?! Wow...

The way I see it is that the Czechs are not really good players, but lucky players. I haven't really seen any particularly good football from those guys, actually, haven't seen any good football except from Sweden against Italy. And as a Dutchman, I'm not really afraid of Portugal since they really sucked against England... Well, the play improved a bit after Figo left the field, but not much, the stories about Ronaldo are exaggerated in my opinion. Didn't see any really interesting stuff from him. And I heard some changes in our team like van der Meyde leaving for possibly Makaay, that will give us a great boost, methinks.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:27 AM   #302
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
quote:
Originally posted by Bahamut:
Sad day for the ref... he was doing his job. Well if it were myself I wouldn't be concern, but then if you include family that's something different, and that's what he is probably thinking about also... tsktsktsk bad.

As for Holland, yes. Well get sole possession of the ball and SCORE. After the goal, SCORE, and then SCORE... hehehe it's a free for all scoring spree... hope it's enough to down Portugal but then it really depends on the coach's take on things... both sides. That's my opinion. [img]smile.gif[/img]
The coach doesn't have the balls to play an all out offensive style. The players that got us through against the Scots, haven't seen any, or almost none, playtime. Even oldies like De Boer were pulled out of the mothballs against Latvia and Sweden, while the best defender (Bosschaart) wasn't even selected. Makaay, vd Vaart and Sneijder are constantly kept on the bench, while they are the ones responsible for Holland's presence in Portugal in the first place. No matter the outcome of this tournament, the coach will say goodbye after it's over, and for that i'm grateful. [/QUOTE]I really don't get it why he is like that... perhaps the attitude off the field? I mean there isn't really any other logical explanation to it right? [img]smile.gif[/img]

I just hope he wisens up with Portugal... they could give *us* a beating... (okay am trying hard but am not Dutch... hahaha)
Old 06-30-2004, 04:47 PM   #303
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Well, that's it.... party's over. I kinda expected this to happen, that's probably why i'm not feeling all that messed up like against the Czechs.

Can't say Portugal were the better side, both teams were a pretty good match for eachother, except Portugal looked a little more determined to win. Dunno, some of our players looked tired, Robben didn't do anything good tonight, Seedorf.... well.... he'll always be Seedorf, nuff said, and Stam is in my opinion the worst defender we've ever had. Being ugly and scary doesn't make someone a good player, i'm glad his career as an international came to an end tonight, we have much better players eager for a chance to prove themselves.

Too bad, i would have enjoyed another boozerbrass tonight.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:00 PM   #304
Aerich
Lord Ao

Hard luck, johnny. It's too bad you have to play some of those sub-par defenders. I've thought Stam was one of the most over-rated Dmen ever since he played for Man U.

I wish your coach had the guts to field about 5 strikers.

Seems like Portugal's getting good value out of the billions it took to host the tournament. Home field advantage.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:13 PM   #305
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Well, i'm not going to blame the referee here, that would make me an Italian but every single questionable issue went in Portugal's favor. He made it pretty obvious that he wasn't our friend, that's for sure.

And you're right about Stam, ManU was very wise to transfer him to Lazio, the man has no technique, no footballwitts, and would have trouble outsmarting a signpost when dribbling. Unfortunately we have a coach with a totally different view than 16 million Dutchies, and he kept hanging on to the old crew for too long. A chapter has ended tonight, and a new one will start in only a few months when the qualifying rounds for Germany 2006 start.

[ 06-30-2004, 05:13 PM: Message edited by: johnny ]
Old 06-30-2004, 05:14 PM   #306
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

Afgelopen, ouwe. Jammer.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:16 PM   #307
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Arledrian:
Afgelopen, ouwe. Jammer.
Zeg dat wel, kut eigenlijk.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:38 PM   #308
Aerich
Lord Ao

It's all Greek to me... [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-01-2004, 04:13 AM   #309
uss
20th Level Warrior

Kahju, et teil halvasti läks. Aga samas, ma olin nagunii Portugali poolt, nii et jee! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

It is unfortunate, that you didn't win. Then again, I was cheering for Portugal anyway, so yay! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I agree that both sides were more or less equal.

Maniche's goal, Portugal's second goal, was awesome!

Our sportsreporters commented on the last goal well:"And here's Portugal's third goal! Although it went to the wrong net."
Old 07-01-2004, 04:28 AM   #310
Aerich
Lord Ao

Finally saw most of the game; it's on tape-delay over here.

It's not *always* bad to stick with the old guard, but the coach messed it up. Did Kluivert get off the bench at all in the tournament? Why not at least bring someone of his talent and experience off the bench when you're down and needing to score?

The D missed their coverage on the first goal (Ronaldo's header off the corner). Might have been keeper's ball. Not much anyone could do about Figo's screamer off the post (it was Figo, right? I was flipping channels like a doofus). He played like a captain and go-to guy.

[ 07-01-2004, 04:30 AM: Message edited by: Aerich ]