Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 06-23-2004, 07:56 AM   #191
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Gee, the Italians are losing their rag already. Listen to this whinging sook go on about yet another "conspiracy":

Italian alleges Euro fix
From correspondents in Guimares, Portugal
June 23, 2004

ITALY goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon has questioned the morality of Denmark and Sweden after the 2-2 draw between the Scandinavian teams eliminated the Azzurri from Euro 2004 today.

A dejected Buffon as Italy crash out /AP

Italy's last-gasp 2-1 victory over the already eliminated Bulgarians proved futile as the Swedes and the Danes went through to the quarter-finals at the Italians' expense with a result that suited both teams.

All three teams finished on five points, but Sweden and Denmark advanced to the last eight thanks to the number of goals scored in games between the three Group C rivals.

"I can't believe that two nations like Denmark and Sweden, who pride themselves on morality, could do such a thing under the eyes of the watching world," said 26-year-old Buffon.

"There has been talk for days about the possibility of a 2-2 draw and now it's happened – incredible.

"What kind of example does this set to the children who come to watch football. Someone should be ashamed and it isn't us."

Buffon said he thought Italy had booked their place in the knockout stages when Antonio Cassano scored a last-gasp winner until he turned to share his joy with the fans.

"I went to celebrate with our supporters, but I could tell by their faces that the result in the other match hadn't gone our way," said the Juventus star, the world's most expensive goalkeeper.

Italy defender Alessandro Nesta said to go out without losing a match was a bitter pill to swallow.

"It's painful because we have five points and were undefeated," said the AC Milan centre-back, whose clubmate Jon-Dahl Tomasson hit both Denmark's goals against the Swedes.

"To finish third behind two teams who are inferior to us really hurts."

Italy's early exit was their third cruel end to a tournament having lost to France to a golden goal in the Euro 2000 final and then going out in controversial fashion to South Korea in the second round of the 2002 World Cup finals.

Italy defender Massimo Oddo was equally dumbstruck by another embarrassment for the Azzurri, who were billed as one of the tournament favourites.

"I can't describe my feelings," said the Lazio right-back. "Football can be cruel sometimes and in the last few tournaments we've had more than our fair share of bad luck."

The Associated Press
-----------

[ 06-23-2004, 07:57 AM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]

Old 06-23-2004, 08:00 AM   #192
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Man, I don't know whether to laugh at the poor sods, or be pissed off at their arrogance! How dare they go on about morality like the 2-2 was planned? Also saying that the other teams are inferior to them is not exactly sportsmanlike.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 06-23-2004, 08:05 AM   #193
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Looking at the way Denmark pressed for a third goal the accusations of conspiracy are sheer twaddle. I agree the last few moments of the match had a "don't do anything to stuff it up" feel to it, but at that late stage (injury time) can you blame either side?
Old 06-23-2004, 08:07 AM   #194
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

I second that Vaskez. How dare they? I watched the game and they both played on the edge. Both had many good chanches. And how would the guy who scored the 2nd goal for Sweden know that the ball will bounce from the goalie as it did? Setup my a$$. They played fair. Italy was unlucky. You can`t win forever.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:27 AM   #195
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Xen:
Italy was unlucky. You can`t win forever.
I disagree Xen - Italy weren't unlucky. They had their chances to beat Denmark and couldn't. They could've beaten Sweden and didn't. Now they're having a whinge because I bet none of them are looking forward to the flight back to Italy.

Old 06-23-2004, 08:47 AM   #196
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

Arrogant bastards. With the piss poor attitudes they've shown ever since we played a draw against them I think they utterly deserve to fly home. They said they went out in good fashion and heads high. Sorry, but you went out as nothing but bad losers.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:22 AM   #197
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Allessandro Nesta might wanna take a long good look in the mirror. If you can't beat teams who are inferior to you, like he claims, then why the hell are you in Portugal to begin with ?

I'm always glad to see Italy get knocked out of a tournament, they're the summit of antifootball. Always whining if things don't come their way, begging for yellow cards if they get tackled, and when they lose, it's always someone else's fault, never theirs. It's like watching a spoiled little kid who just saw someone take away his candy.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:56 AM   #198
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Yeah... wow whining like hell... talk about bitter.

Just because people give you high hopes that doesn't mean they won't understand if you lost. So what anyway? Tsss
Old 06-23-2004, 11:24 AM   #199
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

He he

Nordic Power!

Bye bye Italy!

If they wanted to continue play football, I guess they should have won more matches and focused on playing good football instead of whining about how others played. Denmark and Sweden played a tough and fair match (oki, oki, I though Sweden would get beaten really bad when Denmark were awfully close to score 3-1).

As for 2-2, I hoped for it, got it, the only downside is that Italy made 2-1 in overtime. Bulgaria should have won that match and send the whiners home.

If anything is unsporting, it is that a team blames their downfall on others instead of doing some self critisism of their own play.

Bah!!

Don´t eat the yellow snow
Old 06-23-2004, 11:50 AM   #200
Dalamar Stormcrow
Banned User

Now that I'm back from Europe, I won't be able to watch the games. Can anyone keep me up on the Czech Republic?