Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 03-13-2001, 12:11 PM   #11
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Charlie:
Hi guys.
If I can make a suggestion.

Yes you can import your characters and use them, we did......for about a minute.
The trouble is that you will wipe the floor with the opposition and you may well be of varying levels.

If you're going to do it I would suggest doing it properly from the start of the game. Agree with your fellow players on what class each of you will be. Roll up brand new characters and begin the game afresh. You will learn about each others strengths and weaknesses as the game progresses and you will be forced to discuss tactics and look after one another as if you were really there yourself. I highly recommend playing a multi-player game but would suggest NO Cheating with character rolls etc and doing the whole game through. Be prepared as it's a BIG game but it really is worth the time and effort. Try it...you'll enjoy it mightily.

thanks for suggestion, but definately no. I am tired of this. i ve played online game quite often, and any game start from scratch dont go far. people just cannot continue. my best experience is with one friend finished IWD together, and another friend finished BGII. that is all.

if i ever play online again, i would tell ppl to use whatever they want. (no cheat of course)

Old 03-13-2001, 12:37 PM   #12
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Charlie:
Hi guys.
If I can make a suggestion.

Yes you can import your characters and use them, we did......for about a minute.
The trouble is that you will wipe the floor with the opposition and you may well be of varying levels.

If you're going to do it I would suggest doing it properly from the start of the game. Agree with your fellow players on what class each of you will be. Roll up brand new characters and begin the game afresh. You will learn about each others strengths and weaknesses as the game progresses and you will be forced to discuss tactics and look after one another as if you were really there yourself. I highly recommend playing a multi-player game but would suggest NO Cheating with character rolls etc and doing the whole game through. Be prepared as it's a BIG game but it really is worth the time and effort. Try it...you'll enjoy it mightily.
Well, as Charlie is one of my playing mates, it won't surprise anyone that I agree with all he has written here. We sort of 'pioneered' the ip game as best I can tell. Not alot of people posting here seem to have done it. (Thanks a MILLION for starting that post so long ago, Charlie! )

Starting from the beginning and with new characters makes it feel more like a great grand adventuring party. We had to do much of what a live party would do. Learn about each other-likes/dislikes for weapons/spells etc., mesh our styles and learn to talk out problems/important moves. And yes, we sometimes give in to what the others want over our own preferences, but that's part of LIFE and it sure doesn't bother me a bit! I always think of the adventurers in Tolkein, and how the party had so many 'characters' that had to learn about one another..and the reader grew with the heroes as the tale progressed.......I like to think we are doing a bit of growing together in my party! We sure have fun at it.

If you are in it only to play the game quickly and to win, pure and simple, then by all means, just whip up a high level party and slice your way through like a hot knife in butter. You won't have so much of the human interaction that I find so intriguing (and yes, time consuming) and you won't learn too much about your fellow players.

But if you want an exciting experience that is unique and full of fun and surprises, then follow Charlie's advice. I wouldn't trade the gaming time I've had with my adventuring partners for any "quick win game", or anything else for that matter. Maybe it's just the parties involved, but we have worked a lot of things out and done it with each other's interestest and preferences in mind and I can't say I'd change much of anything if I had it to do over! And I do love looking out for my adventuring companions, even if they spend a good deal of time wondering where the heck my bard has gotten to and why she just wandered into a trap or the enemies....sigh....

Give me the 'feel' of adventuring.....that's why I got the game, that's why I like the game!
Old 03-13-2001, 01:03 PM   #13
Charlie
Lord Ao

Cloudbringer, I wouldn't change anything babe

250. It seems to me that maybe you have just played with the wrong people or haven't fully established with your playing companions just what is required. The game "can go far" if it's what you all want and are all having fun. In the nicest way possible I'd have to say that your logic regarding importing whatever you want is slightly flawed. If I imported my level 23 fighter, equipped him up with a few magical resistance potions and went to work then no opposition is gonna stand up to him.......kinda takes the fun out of it.

Mine is only a suggestion to anyone considering or wanting to to take part in a multi-player game. IMHO the suggestions made are the way to go for a highly rewarding, highly addictive and tremendous fun adventure for all of a like mind wishing to participate. The people that you choose to play with are just as important as the characters you use. Personally I wouldn't change my two fellow adventurers for all the tea in China, but that's because we're all on the same wavelength and have agreed pre-game the way we're going. Incidentally firm friendships have been established.........what a fantastic bonus.

------------------
One love, peace.
Old 03-13-2001, 01:38 PM   #14
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Charlie:

I guess not everyone is looking for the same thing in a multi-player game. I think sometimes the frustrations I've heard from people doing the MPlayer online is that they get into a game with people who don't pay attention to them or drop out mid-play session and never come back, leaving things a big mess. Add the technical foul-ups and you have a game most people don't like and won't finish.

Give me the start-from-beginning relationship-based game anyday!

Cloudbringer

------------------
Storm-Queen
Purple Rose of the Black Knight

[This message has been edited by Cloudbringer (edited 03-13-2001).]
Old 03-13-2001, 03:06 PM   #15
Hesperex

Haveing played a lot! of IP games I would stand with CB and Charlie on this one, if you just start out with god like characters then all it's gonna be is who can kill the Dragon the fastest of who can kill the most Ilithids in 1 minute. Realy it is much more fun if you make a new character and develop them RPG style and play that game as a co-operative RPG rather than a hack fest.

Of course this is just my humble opinion. what ever you choose the important thing is to have fun

------------------

Master Assassin of the Holy Flame.
My website http://hesperex.8k.com

Old 03-13-2001, 03:18 PM   #16
Aegis Crownguard
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I dont know what your individual situations are but BG2 plays great over a lan. hardly any lag even if youre doing it through a crossover cable. just make sure you have IPX protocol installed and you can play it straight through two comps.

------------------
When all is lost, and the body has long since withered away, all you have left are your actions and their consequences.
Old 03-13-2001, 05:08 PM   #17
Hesperex

I play it on a lan, very smooth indeed , I use the TCP/IP protocol through a 10 base T hub though. Faster than a cross over cable, and I can have upto 4 people playing at once on my lan which makes for a very fun game.

------------------

Master Assassin of the Holy Flame.
My website http://hesperex.8k.com

Old 03-13-2001, 05:48 PM   #18
Sentinel04
The Magister

I'd be happy to start a game from scratch. Perhaps we could have scheduled times to play?

------------------
Old 03-14-2001, 01:29 AM   #19
deverece
Dungeon Master

Starting from scratch seems like a very good idea because I believe otherwise there is no parity. The weaker characters would end up letting the stronger ones do everything and lose interest. My only real request would that everyone gets a 10 minutes of rolling time to get the best stats they can for their character, stays true to the parties alignment and .... I get celestial fury because I like kensai\thiefs that are katana grand masters.

So, is this gonna happen? If its gonna get done, tis best done quickly.

1. who is gonna be the Child of Bhaal? (leader). Can't be me I'm a newbie to multiplayer.
2. When shall we play. Meaning times convenient to everyone.
3. Need to decide on how to play.
4. Need to decide who to play
My favorite team is:
inquisitor - tank
berserker\mage - tank
kensai\thief - me
priest or druid - healer (druids are hell on mages and very little
beats mountain bears until death spells become common)
thief\mage - I suggest Nalia, then Edwin after kensai duals
NPC - for quests
Old 03-14-2001, 08:53 AM   #20
Charlie
Lord Ao

Hi.

What I should have mentioned but forgot to regarding importing characters is this. Import your BG1 characters by all means as they will be adjusted to fit the beginning of your BG2 game. Importing characters from an already finished BG2 game will mean they are far too powerful for the start.

------------------
One love, peace.