Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 12-20-2000, 12:39 AM   #1
Moiraine
Anubis

When my husband and I were students together, we used to play AD&D, Cthulhu and Rolemaster with a great bunch of friends and two great DMs. Then the two DMs got married ...
We went on playing for several more years, but less and less often, because, you know, their wives did no play and were not happy with their husband spending so much time away ... I remember though our little baby (he is 9 now) going to sleep with the sound of both his parents hacking orcs and trolls to pieces !
Then it was low for several years, because our DMs definitively stopped playing (I hate wives !), and multiplayer RPGs did not exist yet.
Then, we discovered multiplayer games ! First Diablo then BG2. And it is great !
And also, as our son is now 9, we decided to play inside the family, we bought all the new AD&D 3 books, my husband started masterizing, and we just started a new AD&D adventure 2 months ago.
Now I have a son who is just delighted with his dwarf fighter and his elf mage, and we play every week-end !
(We are only 1 DM and 2 players, so we play 2 characters each).
The most difficult is for him to learn English (we are French), but he will manage just fine (he is very motivated !). We always play RPGs in English, because the French translations are often silly.
And ... we cannot wait for the D&D movie ! (End of December in France ... just for Christmas).
Just an ordinary family !!!
Old 12-20-2000, 12:54 AM   #2
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Incredible. Thankyou for sharing such a great story.

When I was a child some of my best memories were the whole family (Mum Dad Bro Sis) playing some sort of board game, be it Mah Jong, Cluedo, Shareword, Monopoly etc. It wasn't the game that was important, but rather the sharing of an enjoyable experience, the competition, and relating to each outside usual patterns. To have had something like D&D would've blown my mind. Sounds like your son will have a memorable childhood indeed.

Incredible.....
Old 12-20-2000, 06:34 AM   #3
Moiraine
Anubis

I recently started Chapter 4 (my main character is a Skald); I did all the things to get to the Asylum, then when I am inside, Irenicus arrives, Yoshimo turns traitor, then I have a dream.
I meet Imoen, which tells me that I have to bring the beast to her, then I go outside and meet Bhaal, then he talks to me and turns red, then I bring him back inside with Imoen.
Then ... Imoen talks, then she does nothing more, and Bhaal is too powerful, I just can't kill him.
Must I reload an older game ? What can I do ?
Old 12-20-2000, 07:39 AM   #4
bilqis
Symbol of Cyric

I don't think you CAN kill him ... you just have to wound him enough so you 'wake up'.

That's not much help tho, is it.
Old 12-20-2000, 07:44 AM   #5
Armisael

Ack... this is why bards make for a tricky protagonist. You're saying that you can't kill Bhaal (in that he's simply too strong for you)? If you're looking for strategies, I can't really help you. Try summoning a wizard's eye to tank for you, that usually works in difficult melee battles.

Old 12-20-2000, 07:56 AM   #6
BaatoRyan

You mean you have to thrash Bhaal's ass when you face him in the dream? When I fought him I swore my damage was Godly, like it was over the 1000 pt mark and he's still up? Piss off...
Hate that...

Old 12-20-2000, 08:29 AM   #7
Moiraine
Anubis

All I know is that every time I try, I have no time to cast a spell because he is too close, and then he hits me damn hard and then I die ...
Old 12-20-2000, 08:33 AM   #8
Armisael

No time to cast a spell? What about stoneskin? Haste yourself beforehand, as well. Hell, you can summon the wizard's eye beforehand if you want.

Old 12-20-2000, 08:40 AM   #9
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Bhaal's just a pain in the ass. Just cast something offensive beforehand... contingency doesn't reach wizards eye or other high level spells right? or you is that for chain contingency?
Old 12-20-2000, 08:53 AM   #10
Moiraine
Anubis

Thanks for your help, I'll try (though I will have to reload an older game in order to get potions and stuff from the others members of my party).
And I have chosen a Bard because ... it is the only character that I have never played before, and I wanted to give it a try !