Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2001, 01:58 PM   #1
E`bola
Dungeon Master

is this book any good ?

------------------
mostly harmless
E`bola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2001, 08:49 PM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
<font color="white"><u>Originally quoted by Memnoch:</u>

I have just finished reading the first book of the new Forgotten Realms trilogy, Return of the Archwizards. The book is called The Summoning, by Troy Denning (of Avatar Trilogy and Crucible fame) and it is excellent. Here's the synopsis at the back:

<font color="silver">From the depths of the demiplane of shadow comes a new magic so mysterious it confounds even the Chosen of Mystra.

From beneath the dune seas of Anauroch escapes one of Toril's most powerful and ancient evils - the phaerimm.

From Evereska, the last elven refuge on Faerun, comes word of invasion.

From nowhere appears a group of enigmatic sorcerers determined to destroy the phaerimm and save Evereska...for purposes known only to themselves.</font>

It is, in a word, excellent. Denning's prose can get a bit muddy at times, but he is in pretty good form here. This trilogy is set in DR 1372 and introduces us to the "new" 3rd Ed world of Faerun.

I won't give too much of the story away as there are several incredible plot twists in this book. The Chosen of Mystra (Khelben Arunsun, Elminster, Laeral, and Storm Silverhand) all make an appearance, as does elven high magic, shadow magic and even the arcane magic of Netheril. You will be pleased to know that Elminster is not quite as munchkinny as Ed Greenwood normally makes him out to be - he's actually very mortal here - or maybe it's just because he (and the other Chosen) are facing some very powerful foes. It's also very heartening to see some of the Seven Sisters in action - there are so few books about them. And also, a much-loved character from Crucible (you can guess WHO!) makes an appearance as well.

Similar to the Avatar Trilogy, all these earthshaking events are set as a backdrop to some pretty intricate relationships between the central characters - a pair of elves from Evereska and some humans from Vaasa, as well as a mysterious archwizard who wields a form of dark magic that has not been seen in Toril since the Shadowed Age of Netheril, over seventeen centuries ago - a form of magic that does not use the Weave. The end of the novel contains a screamer that will have you salivating for the second book (not due out until the end of this year).

Definitely not to be missed.</font>
<font color="gold"> I have read a sample chapter from Wizards of the Coast, and I was very impressed.
There was enough action to kill me in the first few pages!</font>

------------------

Father of the wickedly cute child known as MaryBeth

[This message has been edited by Larry_OHF (edited 09-03-2001).]
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2001, 09:44 PM   #3
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
I saw this the otehr day in the store and flipped through it, it looked NICE. I might get it sooner or later

------------------

So if in the forest look behind you, because that where the ranger is going to be

The ranger looked at the place out side of the elven town near the river, he looked near the rocks, then they showed the way ....

Grand-Jester of Laghing Hyenas
Currently in service for the Red Wizards
Grand-Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2001, 07:03 PM   #4
jabidas
Silver Dragon

I read the first book and wasnt that impressed, I wasnt disgusted or annoyed just thought well Ill go get a beer or something now and havnt thought about the book since. If I did a four word review it would be: needs to do better.

------------------
jabidas is offline   Reply With Quote