Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2006, 02:08 AM   #1
JulesWinnfield
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hello everyone, first time player of BG2. Things are going well have gotten alot of help from reading stuff here. I have ToB also but havent installed it yet I'm waiting til im done with SoA. I have a question about something I have seen in a few post.....different MODS for the game??? What are these for and do I need them or are they just for fun or whatever?........Thanx
JulesWinnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 02:31 AM   #2
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Welcome to IW, Jules.

Many, many mods exist for BG2, and for that matter, the other Infinity Engine games. BG2 mods range in style, from tweak packs to make the rules more like Pen and Paper AD&D or even less like them, to new quests, areas and entire sections of the game. Some change game rules for fun, others can make rules extremely difficult. You definitely don't need them, although there are some features in tweak packs, which make certain aspects of the game (such as inventory management) less repetitive and boring.

The best place to find mods is on the Pocket Plane modlist at http://modlist.pocketplane.net/. Beware though, not all mods are made equal. I would advise looking around various message boards or asking people here for some advice, as there are some terrific mods, but also some duds out there.
True_Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 04:58 AM   #3
Aragorn1
Symbol of Cyric

I would get the Baldurdash fix pack am unfinished business. The former fixes some bugs that the official patches missed and the later adds back into the game some quests that were left out of the final release. Apart from that I would recommned playing it without mods the first time through.
Aragorn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 04:15 PM   #4
JulesWinnfield
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Aragorn1:
I would get the Baldurdash fix pack am unfinished business. The former fixes some bugs that the official patches missed and the later adds back into the game some quests that were left out of the final release.
Yea I noticed a few bugs in the game even tho I have the official patch installed like the Aerie/Quayle dialog loop thing when I was summoned back to the tent. Also some items disappear out of my packs sometimes, not sure if this is a bug or what, can a Noshurru(cant remb how to spell it)spell creature destroy items in your pack that dont have charges? For example a papper or a key or a bow string. Thanx for the the help and the welcome guys.

Oh another question....I have a couple of empty bottles not sure what they are for tho.....and not sure what to do with the mimics blood.

[ 05-27-2006, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: JulesWinnfield ]
Old 05-27-2006, 06:32 PM   #5
Desuma Malevois
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by JulesWinnfield:
Also some items disappear out of my packs sometimes, not sure if this is a bug or what, can a Noshurru(cant remb how to spell it)spell creature destroy items in your pack that dont have charges? For example a papper or a key or a bow string. Thanx for the the help and the welcome guys.
I don't think that nishruu can do that, but I'm not absolutely sure - I generally try to kill them before they get too close to my party. Another possibility is that the item was dropped while under the effect of a Fear spell; it does occasionally happen.

Quote:
Originally posted by JulesWinnfield:
Oh another question....I have a couple of empty bottles not sure what they are for tho.....and not sure what to do with the mimics blood.
If the bottles are from the Guarded Compound then they aren't of any use; they just show that someone took some potions and are poor housekeepers . In re: mimic's blood, talk to the cowled wizard in the Umar Hills.

[ 05-27-2006, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: Desuma Malevois ]
Old 05-28-2006, 04:22 AM   #6
Aragorn1
Symbol of Cyric

I thought nishruu could destroy any magical item. Can't really remember now though.
Aragorn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 04:32 PM   #7
JulesWinnfield
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Aragorn1:
I thought nishruu could destroy any magical item. Can't really remember now though.
A piece of paper and a key tho??? Those are not magical, thats what got me confused.

Anything to do with Wyvern heads besides sell them?
Old 05-28-2006, 04:41 PM   #8
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quest items (such as keys) commonly disappear from your inventory once you've used them; if they serve no further purpose, they go poof. Not to say that there are a lot of keys that do this: You can easily have a dozen or so loose keys jingling about your person by the end of the game, if you're some sort of compulsive that doesn't like to drop anything.

How the heck did you get Wyvern heads in your game? They sure don't drop in mine. Or are you talking about BG1, and are simply in the wrong forum?
Old 05-28-2006, 06:14 PM   #9
JulesWinnfield
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
Quest items (such as keys) commonly disappear from your inventory once you've used them; if they serve no further purpose, they go poof. Not to say that there are a lot of keys that do this: You can easily have a dozen or so loose keys jingling about your person by the end of the game, if you're some sort of compulsive that doesn't like to drop anything.

How the heck did you get Wyvern heads in your game? They sure don't drop in mine. Or are you talking about BG1, and are simply in the wrong forum?
The key wasnt used up(i am the compulsive guy that keeps everything and also save my game every 30 seconds,and have about 800 saves), it was the key from Spellhold(its called Jons key) to get to the basement.After I came out of the Drow underworld area I went to do the Planar Sphere Quest that I hadnt done yet, about half way thru it I had a save that was right before a door going in to fight a couple of wizard guys. I remembered that one of them had cast the Nishruu thing and my save right after the battle in my inventory the key was missing,the wardens note, and geas bow string. So it was my guess but was just looking for more info that it was the Nishruu thing did it or maybe there is just a bug on some items cuz a friend of mine is playing the game right now also and he lost his geas bow string also but not in the sphere.

And I dont know what game your playing but I have 4 Wyvern heads, when you summon(I have my book of infinite spells turned to that page) one sometimes when it dies it leaves a head.

[ 05-28-2006, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: JulesWinnfield ]
Old 05-28-2006, 07:32 PM   #10
timothy trotter
Drizzt Do'Urden

juleswinnfield is correct, you get a wyvern head when you kill one with the spell sumon wyvern. I have no idea what do do with these heads however