Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 05-31-2007, 03:21 PM   #181
chickenhed
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Tell me this is not over!
Old 06-22-2007, 02:11 PM   #182
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Bumpity Bump bump.
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 06:48 PM   #183
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Oops, can't believe it's been six months since I last posted an installment, where does the time go?

It's not dead dead, but I really don't have any time to devote to it at the moment due to lots of study and minimal free time. In about 6 weeks I'll be more a man of leisure and will revisit then and reinstall onto the new laptop.

I appear to have plenty of screenshots showing the completion of Saerileth's quest (found it really tough actually with my levels and relatively weak party composition) so I'll try and write that up sooner if I have the time.

Thanks to everyone that is still following after all this time, it's much appreciated [img]smile.gif[/img]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:17 PM   #184
Lord Michael
Elminster

Always a pleasure to see this thread reappear. Actually it works out well (for me), as I should be finished with SoA in 6 weeks. Then I'll get to read another perspective!

"Better to die on your feet than to live on your knees"

Last edited by Lord Michael; 09-11-2007 at 06:42 PM.
Lord Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 06:18 PM   #185
Lord Michael
Elminster

Michael:casts bump
Detheriel:bumped

edit: there is no saving throw vs. bump spell, casting time varies according to proficiency *s used on "typing" proficiency. Truly, the bump spell is a cantrip, but for all intensive purposes, it is an innate ability granted to all IronWorks Guild members. School of magic: Necromancy

[ 07-31-2007, 07:55 PM: Message edited by: Lord Michael ]

Old 08-01-2007, 09:09 AM   #186
ZFR
Legion Symbol

I think what this thread needs is a level 5 raise dead
Old 09-09-2007, 08:13 PM   #187
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Default Re: The journal of Detheriel (full of spoilers)

Chapter 18

Just after we had recovered from the shock of seeing Saerileth, another mysterious arrival appeared in our midst, carrying a gleaming sword. Our group was so jumpy at this point that he almost got spitted after he materialised, but luckily nothing so tragic happened.

Quote:

Edorem materialises in front of the party

He introduced himself as Edorem and apparently was a past associate of Saerileth. He asked us to follow him and we certainly weren't about to say no; even if we didn't trust him, he was only link we had left to Saerileth.

He spirited us away to a truly bizarre realm, where animals uttered words as a person might and angelic creatures with shimmering wings walked freely amongst us. He sent us to recover a sceptre that would be the key to recovering Saerileth from the dread realm she was held in.

Quote:

The strange realm that the party is spirited away to.

Recovering it was quite a task in itself as many of the creatures were either unwilling or unable to converse with us. After an hour of stalking about in this huge courtyard under the shadow of a giant domed building and getting nowhere, I could feel my frustrations boiling to the service. One of the celestial beings could see right through me however, advising me that I should tread lightly in this place. She even knew about me, addressing me as 'godchild' - this truly was a place full of wonderous beings!

Quote:

Detheriel is calmed by the angelic being.

In desperation, I humorously asked a small cat-like creature if he knew what we should do. To my amazement, it could speak and was also very helpful!

Quote:

Detheriel seeks confirmation from Edorem, as the ghostly cat moves quietly behind them.

We quickly tracked down an individual named Zharak in a seedy bar, filled with patrons who appeared to be rotting zombies. Luckily they left us alone and we thought it wise to not provoke them in these strange surroundings. After some persuasion, we were able to retrieve the sceptre and returned it swiftly to Edorem.

Quote:

The party gapes at the zombie patrons as Detheriel barters with Zharak.

The place he moved us to was the very picture of hell. The ground was hot and painful to walk on; the heat even penetrating the soles of my tough leather boots. The air was a stifling sulphurous poison and the environment was utterly inhuman, slowly burning us alive as we walked.

Quote:

The party trudges forward, their skin being seared by the fiery air that gusts around them.

After five minutes of inching forward with a rag held over my face, eyes streaming and lungs hacking I really began to fear for Saerileth and pressed us on at a breakneck pace. She surely could not survive for long in this realm!

The denizens of this plane were every bit as hostile and terrible as the environment. Huge winged lizardlike beasts that were fearsome fighters stalked us relentlessly. Half of the time, our weapons did not even damage them, despite their magical edges. Even more horrifyingly, we found ourselves unable to use magic to protect ourselves and vanquish our foes.

Quote:

The party desperately draws upon summoned creatures to battle the fierce creatures that stalk them.

It was only by using every resource at our disposal, including Cerberus whom we summoned from the precious figurine, that we were able to fight our way to where the dread lord of this realm stood, with a many armed beast that I can't even begin to describe. To one side stood burning cliffs, to the other a sheer drop to the darkness and it was against this terrible backdrop that we did battle.

We were able to slay the beast, but the demon himself proved completely impervious to everything we could throw at him. The sight of Saerileth, crumpled and pale on the burning rock, galvanised us into one last charge. We were beaten back once more, utterly helpless against the power of this creature. To their credit, my loyal party stood their ground and retreated in an orderly fashion, although poor Keto looked frightened out of her wits. When Jan started cheerfully telling a story about how Bhaal himself feasted on turnips every day in order to keep her hopes up I couldn't help but sink to my knees, crying out with fear, rage and frustration.

Quote:

The party throws themselves desperately at the Lord of this realm.

To be this helpless whilst Saerileth lay dead or dying was so utterly wrong and unfair. Twice now, I had been too weak to come to the aid of those I cared about and those who trusted me to lead them. It was in that rare moment of clarity, perhaps lightheaded from the fumes, that I realised what I must do. I resolved to train relentlessly and do everything within my power to acquire the skills and strength necessary to protect those I care about.

As I knelt among the jagged rocks of hell, I felt an arm rest on my shoulder. It was Edorem who had, until now, been trailing us at a distance. My strength somewhat renewed by his presence, I lofted my sword once more with my aching arm and we advanced on the demon one last time, resolved to do or die. The sword Edorem wielded was truly a remarkable blade, shining like quicksilver, blazing through the mists and fumes of this realm as he did battle with the demon. His swordplay was masterful and within some minutes the demon lay mortally wounded by that terrible weapon.

Quote:

Edorem charges ahead to battle the demon with his shining blade.

It was with fumbling haste that I passed Edorem the sceptre and we all said a prayer when we saw Saerileth being risen, brought back from the cold grip of death itself. My vision blurred and the next thing I knew, we had all materialised in Athkatla in a choking, filthy heap amongst the lofty temples. Edorem presented the group with a sacred hammer and instructed us to use it to do good in the name of the Maimed God, then vanished as mysteriously as he had arrived.

Quote:

Such joy as Saerileth is restored to us.

Saerileth was clearly traumatised by what had happened - I had never before in our travels together seen her tremble or falter in any way, but now she was as skittish as a colt and it was all she could do to hold onto my frame as we made our way to the temple for some much needed healing.

--------

It has now been three days since we returned from the hell-plane. Saerileth spends much of her time sleeping feverishly and her time awake is often one of uncertainty and fear for her. The priests say they can do nothing for her. Every so often, she will clutch my arm and speak fervently of our need to keep running, talking of the wrath of the planars that captured her and how they will travel the Silvery Void in search of us.

There is not much I can say to comfort her when she gets worked up like this, so I have just been offering simple reassurances whilst trying to hold her close so she feels protected. Tsujatha is perhaps the only person in our group with the knowledge to understand what she fears, but he is ill-inclined to help anyone and I'm sure that Saerileth would not appreciate me revealing her vulnerabilities to such a man.

For the time being, we are recuperating amongst friends in our rooms at the Copper Coronet and letting the healing process run its course. I find myself talking to the delicate figurine of Cerberus more and more in Saerileth's absence. They say that's the first sign of madness, but I find it strangely comforting in these uncertain days.

Despite what Tsujatha thinks of it all behind the contemptuous curl of his lip, I don't care and am starting to wonder if it does not carry some small connection to the Goddess herself. I have been fortunate to discover that if I tuck the figurine under my arm at night when I go to sleep, my dreams are untroubled by visions of demons, sulphur or the wastes of hell and only a fool would question the nature of such blessed relief.

----------------------

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that is still reading this No doubt the background to some of those screenshots will bring happy memories for fans of another BG-esque game!

Last edited by shamrock_uk; 09-09-2007 at 08:24 PM.
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 06:51 PM   #188
Lord Michael
Elminster

Nice! (as always). Just got me psyched up to play tonight!

Old 09-11-2007, 07:45 PM   #189
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Huzzah! Detheriel makes a rousing comback!

Someone's on a streak full of win. (Yes, win is now a noun)
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 11:29 AM   #190
Lord Michael
Elminster

Hey.... that screenshot of the bar with the zombie patrons......

I was at that bar just last night!

IronWorks Alliance

Last edited by Lord Michael; 09-15-2007 at 11:29 AM. Reason: mwahahahaha