Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 05-17-2006, 11:21 PM   #1
Winterfell
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I adored morrowind, and now reciprocate with oblivion.

They're the best RPG's I've ever seen, heard of or imagined on a computer. However, from reading numerous posts on this forum and others I've come to understand that the first two were of an equally high standard...

So my question is... Where on Earth can I get them??????????

I only discovered the Elder Scrolls at #III and #'s I & II would be a welcome addition. If a game is good and playable, I've never had a problem with bad graphics... I mean fallout, diablo I, Starcraft... C'mon!

Hope you can help...
Old 05-18-2006, 01:00 AM   #2
SecretMaster
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Winterfell:
I adored morrowind, and now reciprocate with oblivion.

They're the best RPG's I've ever seen, heard of or imagined on a computer. However, from reading numerous posts on this forum and others I've come to understand that the first two were of an equally high standard...

So my question is... Where on Earth can I get them??????????

I only discovered the Elder Scrolls at #III and #'s I & II would be a welcome addition. If a game is good and playable, I've never had a problem with bad graphics... I mean fallout, diablo I, Starcraft... C'mon!

Hope you can help...
Daggerfall was the greatest ES game out there. Currently, you can DL Arena from Bethesda's site (but you'll need an emulator... try dosbox). http://www.elderscrolls.com/download...ads_games.htm.

Daggerfall currently cannot be downloaded, and chances are no gaming store has it. You can only obtain it by buying it via ebay and the like. I, however, possess a copy of the game. And I would die before I part with it. Good luck!
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 02:13 AM   #3
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Daggerfall is a great great game. However, you absolutely NEED to get a Mark & Recall spell. Otherwise, some of the random dungeons you can literally get lost in. If you can find it, particularly on eBay, it's definitely worth it.
True_Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 04:21 AM   #4
Zaleukos
The Magister

You also almost NEED a home-made levitate spell and 3X int magicka:-p

If you can pay for shipping from Sweden you can have my boxed copy of Daggerfall for free. The box is a bit beaten up, and lacks some things (the map of the first dungeon and a Bethesda catalog?) but the game and the (erroneous) manual is there. A few comments though:

The game is hard to make playable on a modern PC. You will likely need some slowdown utility or dosbox. Frame rate problems can make it impossible to pick things up from the ground and thus make lots of quests (including the main quest) impossible to finish. Graphics are very pixellated, so I suggest looking at screenshots before trying it, or maybe downloading the demo that should be around somewhere. Gameplay is also slightly different from later TES. The gameworld is huge (England size) but mainly computer generated, and most quests are random. The dungeons are randomly generated and easy to get lost in, and some are impossible to complete. And you need all the patches you can get as the original release is incredibly buggy and unstable.

Otherwise it was a fine game for its time. The best comparison I've seen is "Elite with swords" which it really is. Quests often have multiple solutions. Horses, wagons, and ships are much more useful than in Oblivion (wagons take loot and reduce your encumbrance, horses shorten travel time which matters when quests are timed).
Zaleukos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 08:26 AM   #5
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

I also treid to get this game, and then foudn out it wouldn't run on my version of windows. Grr....

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 01:36 PM   #6
Winterfell
Elite Waterdeep Guard

ok I got arena and dosbox.

Well I don't have any money atm zaleukos, but when I do how would I go about paying postage from sweden to here, whithout actually going to Sweden? Ahem I'm rather ignorant of these things you see.

Also in my travels looking up these things I ebcountered some more games. TEST: Shadowkey, TESA: Redguard & TESL: Battlespire. Whaton Earth are these? Are they any good? If so where can I get them?
Old 05-19-2006, 05:22 PM   #7
J'aran
Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally posted by Winterfell:
Also in my travels looking up these things I ebcountered some more games. TEST: Shadowkey, TESA: Redguard & TESL: Battlespire. Whaton Earth are these? Are they any good? If so where can I get them?
You could call those 'spin-offs' from the The Elder Scrolls series. Not part of the main series, but set in the same world. I haven't played Redguard and have never even heard of Shadowkey, but I've played Battlespire. It's basically a huge dungeoncrawl with no RPG-elements beyond character development. Action-RPG. A decent enough game if you like that kind of thing.

Can't tell you where to find it though. As with Daggerfall, Ebay comes to mind.

EDIT: Knew I read something about them recently:

http://www.elderscrolls.com/tenth_an...attlespire.htm

http://www.elderscrolls.com/tenth_an...v-redguard.htm

[ 05-19-2006, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: J'aran ]
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 01:45 AM   #8
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Dragonshadow:
I also treid to get this game, and then foudn out it wouldn't run on my version of windows. Grr....
Rubbish, what's your version of Windows then ? If i can get Settlers 2 to run on my XP Pro version, which goes all the way back to the days of DOS, then surely you can get Daggerfall to run on whatever version of Windows you are running.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:56 AM   #9
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

I disagree. Daggerfall has a few problems.

A. The game world is immense. Not bad in itself, but it WILL cause you to get lost...I mean LOST.

B. Combat is RT 'Elder Scrolls' sucky. It's hard to control,,and starting characters just plain die. LOTS of reloading. (this shows my prejudice...I don't generally like RT combat). IMHO the Elder Scrolls series would be PERFECT,,,if they had a TB combat system. The role-play needs no improvement.

C. The graphics are ordinary, even for the era. And every town looks the same. Mapping is hard.

D. YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO !!!
The game just drops you off after the intro,, and you are..literally..on your own. The game doesn't tell you where to start,,what to look for,,anything! This is, of course, ideal...if you have a year(RT) to play the game.

I think Morrowind is the REAL start of the series. Just my 2 pence.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 10:33 AM   #10
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by ElfBane:
The role-play needs no improvement.
Are you serious? WHAT roleplay? There ARE no dialog choices, no consequences for actions (in DF at least you rep with some faction would go down if you did something to anger them.. but that's IT). The only thing that actually keeps
TES going is for DF the athmosphere, for MW the lore and story, and for OB, combat only.