Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 10:21 AM   #21
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

aye - six built the 'tome of retroactive convenience' to more easily apply the ToTSC bonuses to his SoA characters i believe

i use shadowkeeper
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 03:51 PM   #22
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave_the_quack:
Six... you're telling me that you got a natural roll like that? *cough* BS *cough*. How long did you sit there for? 2 days straight? I mean 101 attribute pts? I don't CHEAT my characters that high haha!
Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Brass:
What the hell character race is that Six? Surely those are not stats from the creation screen?
Zarr and Armen are correct: The original roll for that Human Generic Archer was 15/18/15/13/16/16 (which is still bloody impressive for a natural roll). Using the BG1/ToSC Tomes (or, in this character's case, the Tome of Retroactive Convenience) jumped him up to the stats I listed before. Yes, it took me quite a while to roll those numbers--I actually got frustrated and gave up twice before I got this set.

Quote:
Originally posted by Armen:
there's no such thing as *too* many imo - tanks/warriors will get you 'easily' through most situations and can get you through *any* situation - you'll have a mage and a cleric and a utility thief
While I'd be the last one to disparage the utility of good Tanking power, I also feel it's an error to have less than 1.5 Wizards in the party, simply because there are times when you want to get off more than 1 spell in a single round. One Priest is fine, and one Thief is more than enough, but I like having a backup Mage.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:20 AM   #23
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

Understood. I'm a fine one for "BG-carrythroughs" as well as Tomes of Retroactive Convenience. Nice expression by the way. I'd received the impression that you didn't bother with BG to BG2 characters that much these days Six. Guess I was wrong.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:23 AM   #24
Deathsangel
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Getting back to the chronic re-start thingie.

What I do is that I have about 10 lives or so. I restart some of them, if I find stats or such wrong (before I had shadowkeeper) or I have to restart due to a new mod. But at least I got a lot of lives and I play with one I like at that moment. I finished the game with my LG Cavalier and CN half-orc barbarian and have still a lot to go. It really helps for a restart sydrome. Trust me!

Oh and about your party. I mean this one:

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom-Slayer:

Me- Cavalier
Saerilith - Fighter ? (can't remember)
Keldorn - Inquisitor
Anomen - Cleric/fighter

Tom-Slayer
I use almost the same.

Me - Cavelier (coming all the way out of BG1 so with great(!) stats)
Saerileth - Cavelier
Keldorn - Inquistor
Anomen - Cleric of Helm/Fight
Imoen - Mage/Adventurer
Mazzy - Truesword of Arvoreen

These classes as I use the NPC kit mod. Demons go easily down. It is extreme fun. Mages can't do a darn thing. It was cool! And great roleplay as Saerileth keeps you in check (or else romance kill (thus yes I romanced her) and the others as well if you only listen to their advice. I did not steal or open boxes in the city. I did not work together with Saemon. I roleplayed.

Me and Searileth were tanks. Keldorn a lot less, but with Carsomyr and his abilities he was surely as important. Anomen with his kit and succeeding his test he is a great cleric and thus a lot of healing. All the rest of spells went into combat ones as to make him really the warrior priest (thus I had blade barrier, draw upon holy might, righteous magic etc.), Mazzy was even though I had Cavaliers the dragon killer as she was ranged and did't had wing buffets that hit her and her thaco was the lowest. Imoen took care of traps and the pick lock to open the door towards the bad guy and the magic (mostly buff magic and some monsters and mordekain's swords and the like as cannonfodder; I really hardly needed if it weren't for the traps)

[ 09-08-2005, 05:35 AM: Message edited by: Deathsangel ]
Old 09-09-2005, 11:33 AM   #25
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

I'm also restarting constantly. I truly want to beat the game without my main character dying once or any in my party getting splattered. I've tried 12 parties so far. They go a long way, but then die in the tower where all the good items and experience is. Also sometimes they die because I'm sloppy, and I have to restart. Sometimes I try to fool myself that it doesn't count...I was just sloppy, but I cannot, thus alot of restarts. Good thing I have DungeonBeGone.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:31 AM   #26
vesselle
Hathor

*stands up and nervously clears her throat*

hi!
i'm vesselle and i'm a chronic restarter.

i can't even tell you the number of times i've gone thru the game almost to the end of tob, but haven't actually finished it. part of it is that i don't want the game to end, but there's also that wishy-washy part of me who's always wondering how another party with more of this and less of that would hold up ingame.

*rolls her eyes* okay okay. i admit it. i just don't want the game to ever end.

V***V
Old 09-11-2005, 04:34 AM   #27
Tom-Slayer
Manshoon

And that is fair enough too, all of your posts actually brought out a few reasons why i restart, it doesnt matter though, il get that screenshot of when i finish TOB from BG1 and il print copies of it off and stick them all over my walls. Every so often when i look at them il think "well done that took you 10 friggin years to do lol but it was worth it". Anyway thanx for contributing again.

Wow. i managed to make a topic and get 2 pages, i feel all warm and fuzzy inside lol.

Thanx all your posts really did help.

Tom-Slayer
Old 09-11-2005, 07:41 AM   #28
Western Paladin
Dungeon Master

You know, sometimes even if you don't "achieve" anything, what you're doing can be valuable to you yourself. You're entitled to have fun and to enjoy. This is one of the most important pieces of advice my mother gave me, when I was down about my university degree and how playing Baldur's Gate didn't "achieve" anything, because "when I reach the end, I just go back to the beginning and start again".

"We saved the world. I say we party." -- Buffy
Western Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 06:53 PM   #29
Userunfriendly
Elminster

Question Mark

Quote:
Originally posted by Armen:
aye - six built the 'tome of retroactive convenience' to more easily apply the ToTSC bonuses to his SoA characters i believe

i use shadowkeeper
i too suffered from the horrors of chronic restart...so i cheated. a lot...

i created a character that had all the abilities and kit perks i wanted to play with...
Jansens aren\'t as harmless like everybody supposes! <br />They got them stumpy legs and puffy potato noses! <br />And what\'s with all the turnips? <br />Why do they eat so much root vegetables, anyway? <br />Jansens, Jansens,<br />It must be Jansens!!!<br />(or griffins!)
Userunfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 07:08 PM   #30
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Userunfriendly:
i too suffered from the horrors of chronic restart...so i cheated. a lot...
i created a character that had all the abilities and kit perks i wanted to play with...
Ummm....allow me to quietly point out the slight differences in legitimacy between cheating yourself the gains you would have gotten anyway in BG1/ToSC, and hacking yourself into a Multiclassed Kensai/Swashbuckler/Sorcerer. [img]smile.gif[/img]