Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2004, 12:53 PM   #1
sponkly
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Can someone tell me if you can still use spells you aren't "supposed" to know when dual-classing? For example, suppose you dual classed a Psionic to a Priest .. would the character still be able to cast spells from the Psionic spellbook that the Priest "shouldn't" be able to learn. I could probably figure this out myself thru trial and error, but I am taking the lazy way out and asking first.

The logic (such as it is) behind my question is that I was thinking about creating a character with 1-2 levels in each of a few classes to get spells to allow rapid boosting of magic skills by "training" (e.g. repetetive Charming of NPCs, high level light, etc.). Assuming that this would work I would then keep them in a "pure" class to level them quickly.

Anyway I was just thinking (always dangerous) ...
Old 01-15-2004, 01:00 PM   #2
dplax
Jack Burton

If you dual class to a different class, you still have the skills and can cast the spells, your skill levels won't improve though, if the new class doesn't normally have acces to them.

[ 01-15-2004, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: dplax ]

dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 02:13 PM   #3
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Yeah, spells cross over, no matter what class you switch to. You could change a mage to a fighter, and he'd be able to cast all the spells he knows. Even in armor

But if the class you switch to has no access normally to that spellbook, then you can't improve magic ability by casting or putting points in at level gain (those skills are grayed out).

You never lose the skills you have already learned, and while most will go with the character on a class change, some can't be used. For instance, going from fighter to mage, you'd keep all the weapon skills, but could use only those weapons allowed to a mage. Ditto for armor.

You can always switch back to the former class and regain your skills, if the new class isn't turning out well.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 06:43 PM   #4
Wolfie
Zhentarim Guard

Also, beaware that when your Psionic changes to a Priest, he/she will lose their 25% bonus in Psionics (thus reducing the available "safe" (green) spell power levels available). They will in turn gain a 25% bonus in Divinity as a Priest.

[img]smile.gif[/img]
Visit [url]\"http://www.foerster.cc/wolfie\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.foerster.cc/wolfie</a> or [url]\"http://wiz8.web1000.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://wiz8.web1000.com</a> (US) for a spreadsheet that allows you to enter in your spellcaster\'s stats, and it will tell you what spells the character can learn, or for spells that they are not yet able to learn, it will tell you how many points they need, or why your character can\'t learn the spell.
Wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 10:55 AM   #5
sponkly
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ok .. thanks 4 the info ... I guess the way to get the character I want then is to not level-up when given the opportunity and just build the skill point by say, charming Burz over and over again until my Psionic skill is maxed (obviously must do some combat too to get exp). Then take 1 lev of priest and max out divinity the same way ... since Charm is in both spellbooks it seems certain that it would boost div. after the class change. The next step would be alchemist, although I now wonder if casting "charm" would boost his Alchemy score? IOW, does successfully casting a spell that is *not* in your classes spellbook boost that characters magic "school" skill? If so, you could create a lev 4 char. with 1 lev each of (mage, priest, alchemist and psionic) that has 100 in each of the schools.

I personally find such an approach fairly bogus from a gaming point of view, but it is an interesting academic question from the POV of gaining deeper understanding of the spellcasting process.

Having now revealed myself as a minutia-oriented detail geek .. I eagerly await your thoughts .. I will test this myself eventually if noone else does it first .. right now I am just pro-crastinating at work.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:01 AM   #6
dplax
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by sponkly:
Then take 1 lev of priest and max out divinity the same way ... since Charm is in both spellbooks it seems certain that it would boost div. after the class change. The next step would be alchemist, although I now wonder if casting "charm" would boost his Alchemy score? IOW, does successfully casting a spell that is *not* in your classes spellbook boost that characters magic "school" skill? If so, you could create a lev 4 char. with 1 lev each of (mage, priest, alchemist and psionic) that has 100 in each of the schools.
If you don't have the spell normally in you spellbook then it doesn't raise your main casting skill (i.e. wizardy), but I think it raises realm skill.
To raise alchemist skill you can start creating potions from the time your alchemy skill reaches a certain level.

dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 11:12 AM   #7
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Yeah, many people raise Alchemy by mixing potions and later powders. I think the easiest to start is combining a light + mod heal to make heavy heal. As alchemy rises you can mix other things and then sell them, which is why most people take an Alchemist: as the money maker

As I mentioned in my earlier post, you can only raise skills that belong to your current magic class. Charm will do absolutely nothing for Alchemy or any of the skills under it.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 11:16 AM   #8
Ragash
The Magister

I've taken to creating bishops and concentrating on psionics and alchemy first.. that way he'll be my moneymaker and my primary (and usually only) offensive spellcaster.. training the skills takes time though, don't know how many times I've charmed Burz or knock-knocked the bank vault since I started playing Wiz8!
Ragash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 07:17 PM   #9
Wolfie
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by sponkly:
I guess the way to get the character I want then is to not level-up when given the opportunity and just build the skill point by say, charming Burz over and over again until my Psionic skill is maxed (obviously must do some combat too to get exp). Then take 1 lev of priest and max out divinity the same way ... since Charm is in both spellbooks it seems certain that it would boost div. after the class change. The next step would be alchemist, although I now wonder if casting "charm" would boost his Alchemy score? IOW, does successfully casting a spell that is *not* in your classes spellbook boost that characters magic "school" skill? If so, you could create a lev 4 char. with 1 lev each of (mage, priest, alchemist and psionic) that has 100 in each of the schools.
Learning spells has two requirements, (1) character levels and (2) skill points, so your idea of one character level-per-spellcaster-profession won't enable you to learn all the spells, you'd still only be able to learn Spell Level 1 spells, regardless of how high you get your skill points.

This is in far more detail on this page.

You might want to check out the URL in the signature below, which can provide you a numerical model which you can test your ideas against.

Sorry to dash your darstadly devious plan.

[img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 01-18-2004, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: Wolfie ]
Visit [url]\"http://www.foerster.cc/wolfie\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.foerster.cc/wolfie</a> or [url]\"http://wiz8.web1000.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://wiz8.web1000.com</a> (US) for a spreadsheet that allows you to enter in your spellcaster\'s stats, and it will tell you what spells the character can learn, or for spells that they are not yet able to learn, it will tell you how many points they need, or why your character can\'t learn the spell.
Wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 09:17 PM   #10
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

Although that might be an interesting way to build a Bishop.
I usually do a class change to Mage and back for my Bishops, once Alchemy has been Knocked and mixed up to the high 80's, to Knock Wizardry up however high i feel like. This way i don't have to use any level points for Wizardry. (and only 'waste' a level for the spells which are unavailable to Mages)

As to Psi and Div: I start with Div, because Charm (and ID, which works better) will only work on the highest of the two Schools, and there's Mindread for Psi training. As long as you keep Div ahead, you can train both, but if Psi is ahead, there's nothing left to train Div with.
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote