Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 02-17-2008, 05:13 PM   #1
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

Default HoF from scratch game

My party looks like this (I'm currently starting the Severed Hand):

1) Human Paladin
2) Half Elf Cleric/Ranger
3) Elf Fighter/Mage/Thief
4) Half Elf Fighter/Druid
5) Gnome Fighter/Illusionist
6) Half Elf Bard

The only thing I'd do different, if I were to restart, is change character #4 into a dual classed character. I'd switch from a Fighter at level 3 (basically so I'd have *** in Sling and the ability to wear heavy armor) into a Druid. Their spells have helped me so much in this game. I'd probably go with a Dwarf Fighter/Cleric instead of character #2 also, for the better saving throws and HP.

Heck, I might even fiddle with Dalekeeper to see if I can fix it that way.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:40 PM   #2
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Default Re: HoF from scratch game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klorox View Post

The only thing I'd do different, if I were to restart, is change character #4 into a dual classed character. I'd switch from a Fighter at level 3 (basically so I'd have *** in Sling and the ability to wear heavy armor) into a Druid.
Why??

Dualling so early would be a terrible waste on HoF. Either multi or dual late.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:09 PM   #3
Aerich
Lord Ao

I agree. Don't forget, your F/D multi will gain attacks as it levels up. Even though it can't get the extra proficiency point, it will eventually do more damage just due to ApR, and will have a superior Thaco.

Further, doing HoF from scratch, you need every spell resource you can muster at the beginning.

I wouldn't change #2, either. As you level, you will get better spell access to druid spells, which in itself is reason enough to keep it. The extra ApR is nice too. You can't play it as a tank, you have to play it as an offence-oriented meleer or a missiler/spellcaster. You have to protect it with your tactics or spells if going into melee.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:21 PM   #4
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

I messed around with this alternate party. I was able to cast Call Lightning before the Khuldahar Pass, but when I messed around with DK and levelled my new party up to the XP my current party is at, I was unsatisfied with my F/D's lack of offensive power.

I'll keep things the way they are.

Thanks for the input all!

BTW, others have looked poorly upon my FMT, but he's awesome. I figured that I needed a F/T that I wanted to use as an archer. Since I don't want to melee, armor (or lack thereof) isn't a big deal. I thought, "why not add in the Mage class for a little extra firepower?"

I haven't regretted it yet. And with all the XP my party is earning, I had high-level spell slots left empty until I had finished the Severed Hand! I didn't think a F/M/T would "lap" the scrolls, but it did!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke

Last edited by Klorox; 02-18-2008 at 07:24 PM.
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:31 PM   #5
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klorox View Post
BTW, others have looked poorly upon my FMT, but he's awesome. I figured that I needed a F/T that I wanted to use as an archer. Since I don't want to melee, armor (or lack thereof) isn't a big deal. I thought, "why not add in the Mage class for a little extra firepower?"

I haven't regretted it yet. And with all the XP my party is earning, I had high-level spell slots left empty until I had finished the Severed Hand! I didn't think a F/M/T would "lap" the scrolls, but it did!
hehe tell me about it. I've hated triple classes due to the slow progression till my IWD HoF game. F/M/Ts were made for this.