Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 06-14-2001, 11:07 PM   #21
Redblueflare
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by kiwidoc:
btw Red Blue Flare - do you have any idea how time consuming this is I have to unravel numerous posts so all the actions and coversations are happening in the right places, change the wording so it is all one consistent style and write linking text. And at the same time I have to run my game and write the new posts! Yeesh - give me a chance
Well I have to read it all! Just kidding! This is great Kiwidoc, and yes I have a slight idea of exactly how time consuming this is! I hope you'll finish writing this though, I like it!

------------------
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I just don't have to listen.
Old 06-16-2001, 10:00 PM   #22
kiwidoc
Zhentarim Guard

A soft chiming tone rang gently through the room, just as PG and Lapsyng leapt back from the doors in surprise. There was the faintest of hissing and the double doors slid open to reveal a strange figure; an old wizened man with a shock of white hair and kindly blue eyes surrounded by laughter lines. He smiled warmly, and all of the party felt a strong impulse to smile back.

His apparel was very different to anything any of the group had seen before. None of them could recognise the fabric, or the style and cut of the trousers and shirt. Pinned to his breast there was an ornate looking brooch, studded with little gems that twinkled with red and blue lights. Lapsyng who was closest spotted a highly unusual earring on his left ear. It was a strange design in silvery metal that was attached to the outer shell but seemed to have a component that actually covered the ear hole itself.

Behind the man they could see a long hallway, lit with the same kind of muted soft light that filled the party’s long room. The walls and floor were lined with a marble like material much the same as they had already seen, but there were checker work patterns in the floor. In muted grey greens and cream. A series of doors could be seen running down the hall on either side but no windows. A soft and gentle music filled the hall, a little like the bell like tones of a giant harp – but there was no sign of musicians.

The man reached up and touched one of the lights in his brooch, and then bending over softly whispered to it. Lapsyng strained to catch the words but could not make anything out. The old man caught Lapsyng’s eye and smiled again, a gentle smile with just a hint of mischief and laughter. He turned again to face the whole room and held out both hands palm face up, and then bowed a little from the shoulders. He took two steps back still smiling and beckoned, and then gestured to the hallway stretching out behind him.

Ceylar strode to the front of the party and in commanding tones spoke to the newcomer.

“Now I have no idea where we are; and why were brought here. Therefore before I make a single step I demand you tell us what this whole thing is about!'”

The old man’s smile slipped a little, but then returned though there was a wary look in his eyes. He nodded to Ceylar and spoke to her. His voice was surprisingly strong and clear for a man of his years, but his words were totally incomprehensible. Once again he beckoned and gestured to the hall, and then returned to his previous posture – standing with his hands held out before him palms facing upwards.

Da'ar grunted at Ceylar

“Bah! Lassie, you refusin' ain't getting us any closer. Let'sa go dis way, he's canna talk wit' us, but mayhaps someone down yonder can.'

With a toothy grin displaying a not inconsiderable amount of food Da’ar said to the man "A'ight, old un, you’s takes us where ever you’s be tryin’ to, but you’s better be nice, or me’s gonna split ya head.”

The old mans winced visibly at Da’ar’s gruff tones. He took a seemingly involuntary step backwards, disgust written on his face. Bending over he whispered urgently into his brooch. The man then took a deep, calming breath and cocked his head to the left –just as if he was listening to something, but other than the gentle music no sounds could be heard. . Distaste and fear could be clearly seen battling with resolve on his face, and then suddenly he appeared to come to a decision. Once again he bowed and smiles – beckoning the party down the hall. This time his smile was not as carefree – it seems to be tinged with something else, something hard to place. Could it be pity?

Assam moved to the centre of the room, facing the man but not moving forward. With a frown of concentration marring her olive skinned face and dark almond shaped eyes, the shy cleric began to speak. The others waited in silence as she greeted the old man, fist in the common language and then in tongues from the desert and from older, almost forgotten times. There was no response.

Assam sighed. Perhaps sign language would do better than the spoken word. She raised her hands, elbows bent with the palms facing up into the universally recognised questioning gesture. Next she pointed at that highly unusual brooch that seemed to be so important and repeated the gesture. There now, everyone would be able to understand her meaning - what is so important about that?

The man’s eyes turned to her filled with warmth, but clearly puzzled. Once again he repeated his beckoning. Assam turned to the rest of the group and shrugged helplessly, admitting defeat.

Errol spoke in quiet but authoritative tones

“Although we can't understand this man it is quite clear what he wants us to do. I suggest we walk down the hallway. Indeed, we have little choice. We can stay here in this room for as long as we want, but it will get us no closer to what we want to know - what happened last night and why are we here."

Earl walked slowly up to the man, bowed his head slightly in formal greeting and passed him, into the hallway.

Twia grimaced.

"Bah, I hate it when we can't do anything. I will cooperate as well, for now; but the moment this man shows any signs of evil nature, even though nothing around here looks evil in any way..."

Her voice trailed off in implied threat as she too walked into the hallway.

"Hiya!"

PG made her mind up. After all staying here meant they would never get to where they were going, wherever that was. So, it was definitely time to move. Pleased with her dazzling display of deductive reasoning she threw a quick grin and a breezy greeting to the old man, and then paused to call out to the others

"Well come on then!"

The look in her eyes and the impatient tapping of her foot gave a clue to the impatience steadily building inside Ceylar. Just where did these fools think they were going? And why did this old man keep refusing to answer them? She turned deeply suspicious eyes on the man in white.

“ Before I move a single step I demand you tell us what is going on here!!”

Da’ar had finally had enough of stubborn bloody women who refused to listen to plain good sense. With a muttered comment about bloody elves and foolish females and the combination of the two, he placed his hands on Ceylar’s buttocks and rudely shoved her into the hallway.

Ceylar gasped in mortified shock! She already made it abundantly clear she did NOT like being touched, but here was this obnoxious dwarf pushing her! With a shriek of outrage and fury blazing in her eyes she turned swiftly on her heel and swung her open palm at the ghastly man’s face. With a chuckle he easily ducked the incoming blow.

“Take your hands off me at once, you horrible little man! I do not like to be touched! If you ever do that again I will make damned sure you never touch anyone else!”

As Ceylon shrieked the old man winced, took a few steps back and whispered frantically into his brooch.

Earl sighed heavily and stepped between the pair. "Come now, save your threats for the real enemy, whoever that is! Ceylar, you are not going to die from a simple touch, no matter where it is. Da'ar, if you give her a chance Ceylar will come along with us willingly. She has little choice in the matter, as she clearly can’t stay here on her own."

Ceylon took a calming breath and regained her composure. In an icy tone she addressed the impertinent paladin.

“It is not up to you to decide whether I will or will not die from this fool’s touch. I have not made a practise of letting every ape that wants to touch me, and I never will. I simply will not have it.”

She fairly hissed the next words at the dwarf.

'I repeat, never do that again or you will suffer the consequences.”

Twai watched the quarrel about nothing with an expression of faint amusement on her face. This was so typical, bickering amongst themselves about nothing of real importance when there were serious matters afoot. In a prim and somewhat schoolmarmish voice she began to berate the group.

"Now stop acting like little children, we have much more important matters to deal with. The last thing what we need is this kind of useless discord. Just walk quietly on, but be wary. Things may not be as we would wish them to be, and there may be evil behind this. We will have to be ready to fight at a moments notice"

By now PG had seen enough of this foolish behaviour. She also stepped between Ceylar and Da’ar, and spoke fiercely to the dwarf.

“Da’ar you brute! Never lay another hand on Ceylar again!” Her back was turned to Ceylar and though her tone was harsh and serious, she flashed a quick wink to Da’ar, letting him know she was just trying to mollify the touchy mage.

"Come with me my lady. I shall ensure that any man wishing to touch you has to touch me first!" PG struck a defensive pose alongside Ceylar, and tried to gently shepherd her through the door.

The byplay between the members of the little party did not seem to be easing the man’s distress, if anything it was increasing. By now he had backed even further down the hall, making sure no one was behind him. He appeared to be vehemently talking to his brooch throughout and shaking his head in denial, almost as if he was responding to being spoken to.

Lapsyng raised one elegant hand in gentle reprimand.

“Children, children, children. You cannot force a bond of camaraderie. Also it is plainly obvious that force seems to distress our host. Errol has told us that to all intents and purposes, there is no evil here. Common sense tells us that beings that leave no trace of evil themselves would be highly likely to despise any form of evil at all. We are making somewhat of a bad first impression here, and I would recommend that you leave Ceylon make her own mind up. I have seen many parents get reluctant children to follow them by threatening to leave them behind. This may just hold true for reluctant adults as well. Why not just come along, and let Ceylon decide if she'd rather be stubborn and alone or follow us."

With a graceful bow Lapsyng swiftly grabbed two wedge of cheese then headed through the door, handing one of the cheeses to PG and humming a jaunty tune as he did so.

PGs eyes followed the elf hungrily as he brushed last her, and she let out an involuntary sigh.

"Oooh, such elegance and poise!”

Assam spotted the man steadily backing away from the group. Be damned by the seven hells, they seemed to be losing him. She slowly walked to wards him, one arms held out palm up in an attempt to echo his earlier posture as it had seemed to mean friendship and peace. All the same, she kept her other hand on her mace, just in case.

There was a clearly audible loud sniff. Ceylar drew herself up to her full height and turned a steely gaze on the bard. How dare this impertinent elf compare HER to a reluctant child! Well, she would soon see about that.

In a loud, ringing and very cold voice she addressed him. “You there, bard! Kindly refrain form interfering in discussions that have nothing to do with you whatsoever!”

Ceylon’s icy tones seem to be the last straw fore the poor man in white. He rapidly backed down the hall keeping his eyes fixed on the party. Assam stood forward with her hand raised, and he stopped as she met his eyes for a brief moment. Then his eyes fell directly onto Assam’s hand resting on her mace. His face was a mask of total shock and his hand moved swiftly to the brooch, and touched one of the glowing gems.

The air between in front of him shimmered and distorted. A translucent wall of rippling light formed across the hall –as though the party were gazing out from a cave behind a waterfall into a silver moonrise. They saw the distorted and flickering figure of the old man turn on his heels and hurry down the hall. The doors at the far end slid open, he ran through, the doors shut and all fell quiet.

------------------
There is only one kiwidoc, accept no substitutes

STANDARD OPERATING PROCEEDURE
www.judyhope.co.uk
Old 06-17-2001, 04:28 AM   #23
MilamberfromElysium
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Believe me, I am not such a b*tch in real life.
Uum, I am not a woman in real life.
Old 06-19-2001, 07:13 AM   #24
Grojlach
Zartan

That's what they all say, Milamber, that's what they all say
Anyway, how did this get on the second page??? Shame on you guys
Old 06-19-2001, 07:22 AM   #25
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Cool story!

Say would you like to post it on my site? I collect stories from the boardmembers here.. Ziroc! Honestly tell me if I´m violating the my web ad rule here ok??

------------------

Yawning lazywolf dreaming about nice little fairies...zzzzz
Old 06-19-2001, 09:00 AM   #26
kiwidoc
Zhentarim Guard

Wofgir, can you send me the URL for your site so I can take a look.
My email is jude@judyhope.co.uk

I have some other work that might be suitable for your site. Thanks for the support

------------------

www.judyhope.co.uk
Old 06-19-2001, 09:08 AM   #27
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by kiwidoc:
Wofgir, can you send me the URL for your site so I can take a look.
My email is jude@judyhope.co.uk

I have some other work that might be suitable for your site. Thanks for the support

Nemas problemas the site soon-to-be-remade really well hopedully is in my info. Look around, you would support me rather than me you!

Hehe! Darn it´s hot hear.. have to chnge into summerfur...

------------------

Yawning lazywolf dreaming about nice little fairies...zzzzz
Old 07-09-2001, 08:37 PM   #28
kiwidoc
Zhentarim Guard

Next installment

Chapter 2: The Woman in White - Part 1

Lapsyng looked after the distorted and wavery image of the fleeing man barely seen through the shimmering wall, and focused his mind to reach out to him. The contact was blurred and shadowed, the wall seemed to be somehow blocking him but a fleeting impression of overwhelming fear filtered through.

"Aaaah, damn!" PG words startled the party out of their shocked silence. With a shake of her head she returned to their room and resumed her breakfast. Well you never could tell when they would get to eat again, and it was a good idea to fill up before the dwarf ate the lot! Hmmm, those rolls looked just about the right size. Her wrists flashed as she sent half a dozen rolls spinning through the air, weaving complicated patterns as she juggled. With a laugh she buttered another roll and lobbed it to the bard.

"Here boy, you're going to need to build up your strength!"

In a sinuously graceful movement the bard whirled round and snatched the flying bread roll from the air.

“Why thank you PG. I agree whole-heartedly. Since it seems that our mysterious friend has left, continuing to break our fast is a truly excellent suggestion.”

Lapsyng helped himself to another roll and some more of the cheese he found so appetising. He sampled the dark fluid, but wrinkled his nose at the bitter taste. Perhaps the fruit juice would be more to his liking. Ah, it was pleasantly tangy but refreshing. The bard poured himself another tall glass of the pleasant fruit juice and pulled out his harp. He began to play a gentle soothing tune that spoke of peacefulness, hope and perhaps a hint of joy. In a quiet, soft voice that slowly and subtly wove its way into the consciousness he began to sing a song of forgiveness, calmness and peace.

The harsh wind is dying
To soft breezes sighing
The wild waves so high
Are now gentle and low
The sun breaks the shrouds
Of the dark angry clouds
And a shaft of bright silver
Lights the temple below

And the people are singing
Bright voices are ringing
Songs of beginnings
A new hope is born
Welcome the dawning
The Lord of the Morning
Has brought a new day
And an end to the storm.

Voices are grating
Words full of hating
In the heat of the moment
When anger is born
Now voices are gentling
Words are relenting
Forgiveness and friendship
Come after the storm

And the people are singing
Bright voices are ringing
Songs of beginnings
A new hope is born
Welcome the dawning
The Lord of the Morning
Has brought a new day
And an end to the storm.

Back in the hallway, Da’ar rolled his eyes at Ceylar. "Bah! Iffin you'd justa gone on wi’ us we's not have ta wait 'ere. Nows looks where’s you gots us, woman."

He continued to mutter and grumble as he peered through the wall and poked at it, deep curiosity showing in his face.

A look of bafflement appeared Ceylar’s pretty half elven features. What is it that she was supposed to have done? Puzzled she ransacked her brains for a few moments. No, there was no way this could have been her fault. She ignored the small voice at the back of her brain telling her that she should have been more cooperative and less touchy. The puzzled look left her face, but the normal icy disdain did not replace it.

Her tones were a little less certain as she said “Me? I never asked you to touch me, did I? You were warned not to touch me.“

Her lips moved as though she was about to add more but with a visible struggle she held herself back to a faint whisper “I just don’t like to be touched.”

Ignoring her Da’ar continued his examination of the wall. It was like nothing he had ever seen before. It was hard and unyielding but very, very slippery. When he tried to touch it his hand just slid over the surface. It was just as though he never made contact, something kept his hand a tiny fraction of an inch from the surface of the wall and no amount of pressure could get him any closer.

Kyan had watched the whole debacle with a calm demeanour and a long-suffering expression on his face. For the first time he broke his silence. His voice was pleasant, measured and eminently sensible.

"Alright folks, as you can see we have managed to frighten off our chance to find out where we are, why we're here and who is behind this. I hope that we won't fall into blaming each other. We definitely do not need further conflict. As you can see, we are all locked in again. The way the man left gives us no reason to hope that he'll be back soon, but he just might send for a larger force might be sent for.”

The tall ranger poured himself a mug of juice, pulled out a stool and sat at the table.

“Now, why don’t we all calm down and sit round the table. We are all in this together and we will have to co-operate if we are ever going to find out."

One by one the rest of the party joined him, some grudgingly and others willingly. After they were all seated Kyan resumed his speech.

"Firstly, I would strongly advise no-one in our present company forces their wishes upon others. Please respect each other’s judgement and let us all come to our own decisions. Secondly, let’s be prepared in case there is a larger force on its way. We should all put on our armour and carry our weapons.”

Kyan leaned forward and in a slow, emphatic voice he continued.

“Finally, if anybody does come, and I sincerely hope they do, do not show any hostility. Not to each other, and not to them unless they attack first, or make it becomes clear that we have to defend ourselves. I hope you'll agree with me that this is the obvious choice to make and the best way to resolve this situation.”

"Now, I'm done, and I can see from your faces that you all have much to say. Let's not speak all at the same time, and please consider what I said."

A long thoughtful silence followed this. Kyan was usually a man of few words, but when he did choose to speak his mind it was obviously worth listening to him.

Ceylar nodded and said, “Yes, I agree.”

'Bah!' Da'arjeeling grabbed another handful of food.

"Foolish women be’s too worried abouts dere ap… appeer …apar … dere looks to gets anythin’ done."

"I agree with most of that," PG said indistinctly through a mouthful of croissant.

"But we could always show our good intent by taking off all our armour and piling our weapons up next to the beds. Then there could be no mistake that we mean no harm."

She helped herself to more of the bitter black liquid while it was still hot; it was so delicious. For some strange reason she was getting more and more full of energy, and just a little bit jumpy.

Twai snorted "Hmpfh. I will put away my quarterstaff, not that I really need it anyway. It is just as well I can fight without armour and weapons since I'm still not convinced of the nature of our 'host'. If you like to challenge any possible danger without armour or weapons, that's fine by me. However I will not be your babysitter if this turns out to be one big trap"

With a careful gesture Twai laid her quarterstaff on the ground, next to her bed. Ceylar gripped her staff tightly for a few moments then sighed and also laid hers on the floor.

“I am not dependent on my staff either. Unlike some of you brawlers I have other ways of defending myself.”

Kyan frowned at PG. "Who said take off the armour and put away your weapons? I said be prepared, but don't show any hostility or give reason for anyone else to leave in panic!"

PG stopped in the act of undoing the laces on her armour to glare at him. The tension in the room was steadily rising and it was obvious she was about to make a sharp retort when Errol’s soft but authoritative voice cut across the room.

"My friends, you are all too rash in your conclusions. That man came to us for a purpose, is this not so? Surely he would not just leave without somehow accomplishing what he came to do. He definitely wanted us to follow him into the hall. Now, although we obviously frightened him, maybe he did not just leave us without doing something to achieve that purpose.”

PG leaned forward, intrigued in spite of herself. Errol was clearly warming to his theme now and he had the attention of the whole party as he spoke.

“That weird magical wall he called up, just before he ran, what was the purpose for that? Was it meant to stop us from following him? We all assumed this, but have any of us actually tried to walk through it? Who knows, it might just be a magical portal to who knows where!”

Ceylar rolled her eyes a little and snorted at this. It didn’t look like any portal she had ever seen. It didn’t look like ANYTHING she had ever seen. Errol suddenly walked swiftly to his bed, retrieved his backpack and weapons, then he walked towards the door. As he reached the door he turned back to the party.

“I will try this wall, on my own if necessary. I will walk up to it, and who knows maybe through it to who knows where. Yes this is a risk but needs must, for staying here is achieving nothing.”

With a determined expression the grey-haired man walked down the hall. He reached up his hand – paused for barely a second and then touched it. His hand slid sideways a hairsbreadth above the shimmering translucent surface. The harder he pushed forwards to make contact, the faster his hand slid sideways.

Intrigued, Ceylar joined him. The wall was like nothing she had ever seen before. It appeared to be solid and unyielding, yet it could not be touched. Light filtered through it as if through rapidly flowing and moving water but nothing in the wall seemed to move. There was no sense of magic here, just something very alien and very, very powerful.

A slight movement caught her eye. A wavering form in white appeared at the far end of the hall and steadily moved closer. It was a woman dressed in an odd white tunic over close fitting breeches of some sort. Despite the distorting effect of the wall Ceylar could tell she moved with an elegant grace. As she came closer more could be seen- long grey hair tumbling round a face creased with laughter lines. Through the shimmering, translucent wall Ceylar could just make out warm, soft, grey eyes.

Cautiously the elven mage and the paladin backed away from the wall. Ceylar hissed back through the door

“Everyone out here – now!”

The lady continued to walk steadily right up to the wall, where she stopped. She lifted up both arms and held both hands before her - palms up and out. After a long, silent moment she placed one palm flat against the wall, and stood stock still, watching each of those in the hall in turn.

Assan thought quickly. This second chance couldn’t be thrown away like the first. Uncharacteristically the self effacing priest spoke out firmly and authoritatively.

"We really need to find out what this lady wants. I'm going to try and approach her. Anyone who wishes to join me should do so now, but remember, there is to be no squabbling!”

Errol raised his eyebrows. These were very familiar tones – it was the voice of someone who was used to being obeyed, the voice of an aristocrat. There was more to Assam than met the eye.

“The priest speaks sense. Let us proceed to the wall as a group, but slowly so as not to frighten her.”

The tall ranger nodded, and the trio walked line abreast slowly and steadily towards the wall. Behind them the rest of the party scrambled to follow. Da’ar Looked at the wall then at the food, then back at the wall again. Quickly and noisily he shoved a few more bites down, and grabbed a couple of rolls and two apples to shove into his pocket. He gulped down a mug of the hot bitter liquid, let out a loud belch and a sigh of contentment. PG left the table in a somewhat more elegant manner – very keen to watch the show. Twai followed impassively.

Lapsang realised hid audience had all left. With a shake of his head he put up his harp, and sauntered into the hall to see what the fuss was about. Spying the woman behind the shimmering wall he muttered, "Just like a woman, not even letting me finish my song".

PG giggled a slightly and Twai threw them both angry glare.

Oblivious to the somewhat flippant interplay behind him Earl slowly raised his hand to the strange wall, mirroring the woman’s hand. He began to speak slowly and very clearly, trying to mouth the words clearly as well. Perhaps if the woman could not hear him she may be able to read his lips.

"What do you want from us?"

The woman watched Errol’s face very closely, making a visible effort to mirror his posture and movements. She seemed to be trying to copy his mouth movements, but what she was "saying" made no sense at all. In response to this Errol’s speech became even slower and he tried even harder to carefully articulate and mouth each sound.

Errol’s slowly grimacing face was reflected clearly on the surface of the wall. Da'ar watch this odd display for a few moments then elbowed PG in the ribs as he laughed.

"Aye, thats be a way ta git on dere good sides, make funny faces at 'em."

PG grinned back. Totally unable to resist she silently stepped forward and raised her hand behind Errol’s head, wiggling two fingers like rabbits ears in comic counterpoint to his grimacing. She grinned widely at the lady on the other side of the wall, pulling strange distorted faces behind Errol in a parody of his actions. A look of utter astonishment crossed the grey haired woman’s face, and then her spare hand flew to her mouth. Her shoulders started to shake, and suddenly she was laughing. Even though the party could not hear it, it was obviously an unrestrained, glorious joyful laugh. She leant down to touch her brooch and spoke a few odd words, nodding emphatically.

Suddenly the wall flickered once, twice then vanished. Now they could all hear the clear musical quality of her infectious laugh. Now that the distorting effect of the wall was gone it was clear that this lady was a true beauty. Years may have added lines to her face and grey to her hair, but the inherent loveliness of her face could still be seen, and her deep violet eyes were truly wonderful.

She gave a dignified bow and gestured down the hall with her elegant hands. She turned to make eye contact with the party on by one with a soft and gentle smile. As her eyes met PG’s the rogue could have sworn the woman flashed her a very and cheeky wink – but it was so fast she couldn’t quite believe she saw it. Still smiling the lady backed down the corridor, facing the party and beckoning.

------------------

www.judyhope.co.uk

[This message has been edited by kiwidoc (edited 07-16-2001).]
Old 07-13-2001, 09:18 AM   #29
kiwidoc
Zhentarim Guard

Bumping this in the folorn hope that someone is actually interested

------------------

www.judyhope.co.uk
Old 07-13-2001, 12:27 PM   #30
demus
Manshoon

Hey, kiwidoc, of course were all interested in where this is going (but I think it kinda got lost somewhere in the recent huge numbers of posts). If no one was interested then no one would have replied on the first page, so

PLEASE DO POST SOME MORE OF IT

OK?

------------------
Nicodemus Deathslayer, Paladin and Undead Hunter of the Order of the Holy Flame