Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-02-2007, 11:24 AM   #1
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

The dog saved the kids but had to be put down after as he was 9. But it is good the kids were unharmed.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/World/20...146580-ap.html
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:58 PM   #2
bubbe
Zhentarim Guard

That was one brave dog! Hero of the year [img]smile.gif[/img]

That is a REAL hero! To bad he had to die! :'(
Old 05-02-2007, 05:11 PM   #3
Spirits Reborn
Anubis

See kids, this is what happens when you do good deeds. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

The Dark side welcomes you

but seriously. That was pretty courageous of that dog to do. That dog had guts that most men lack. Good doggy
Spirits Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 05:47 PM   #4
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

You go George. That's a good dog indeed...
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:31 PM   #5
pritchke

Update: Dog gets medals including a purple hart.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNew...ap.html</font>
Old 05-08-2007, 12:43 PM   #6
Thoran
Galvatron

Well knowing both those breeds I can paint the likely scenario (without the media hype).

First off I'm going to assume the "Pit Bulls" were ACTUALLY "Pit Bulls". Most folks couldn't tell a Pit Bull from a Staffie Bull from an Italian Bull from a Bull Mastiff. We've actually had people call our English Bull Terrier a Pit Bull.. and they look ABSOLUTELY NOTHING alike. The term "Pit Bull" has become the catch all for any hound looking dog who does anything bad.

Anyway... if they were Pitties, the most like engagement was that they'd gotten free from their owner and were wandering around, they saw people and headed for them to see what was up. Pit Bulls have been bred for oh... a LONG time... to NOT be human agressive. The chance that two purebred Pitties would attack humans is exceedingly low. Now the Jack Russel, a breed that is VERY dog agressive, sees the Pitties and tears out after them, barking up a storm and basically planning to teach them what for. This is entirely typical Jack Russel behavior.

The problem of course (for the Jack Russel) is that Pitties are also a dog agressive breed... so once they saw the Jack Russel, the fight would be on.

The Jack Russel would have quickly been killed by one Pittie, two is even worse.

If those dogs were indeed Pit Bulls, the kids were never in danger, the bad behavior of the Jack Russel simply came back to bit one... and of course the Pit Bulls bad behavior gets overblown and spread around the world... which will assuredly come back to bite THEM.

No winners here but the irresponsible media.
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:12 PM   #7
pritchke

In this case I would say you may be a little wrong about your judgement of the pit bulls (crossbreeds, rotties, bedlingtons whatever they were) since this wasn't the first time they went after people as there own owner said and decided to put them down. Weather the Jack Russel was dog agressive I don't know but I think it may be a false statement that all Jack Russels are dog agressive, it is like saying all dogs are cat agressive. You were not there, I was not there so can you say exactly what happended, I can't. But personally you seem to be on a quest to defend all pit bulls everywhere and villify Jack Russels. A dog should be judged on there own merit not on the breed they belong to as most seem to have there own personalities as people do based a large part on there past experiances. Isn't that why handlers say to socilize your dog as a puppy with other people and other animals. I was tring to post someting good and light hearted story about some kids being saved and in one post with a bunch of generilizations you have taken that and stuck your foot up my arse just because you are upset that the media puts down your favorite dog type to often. As I said I don't give a crap what type of dog thay were I only wanted to post something good about a little dog saving some kids. Is it possible that the story played out like it did Yes it is.

When my wife was young her Australin Shepard defended her from a bull that was going after her so she could get away. The same dog who is now very old (12) jumped in front of my 1 and a half year old son to prevent a very happy bull mastiff from running him over. He growled and stood his ground and would not let the mastiff pass neither dog is dog agresive but he did show he would protect my son, although at the same time I would not leave him and my son in the same room alone together as he is old, often grummpy and very likely to bite my son as he likes to be left alone. Just a note on the mastiff he is very friendly and would likely lick you to death and reminds me of those Frank and Frank characters athough a different breed from them. I still don't like the thought of him running into a toddler.

Anyone else with some light harted hero dog stories, as not to ruin the mood.

[ 05-08-2007, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
Old 05-08-2007, 04:42 PM   #8
Thoran
Galvatron

They're not generalizations they're BREEDING, certainly there's a statistical distribution associated with every breed but the story goes against the general breed characteristics of BOTH breeds. Pit Bulls have been bred to be dog agressive and specifically NOT human agressive. How else could handlers wade into and break up a dog fight without getting shredded? Jack Russels are TERRIERS, they have the same propensities as other terriers (including Pit Bulls), one of those propensities it dog agression. In my experience Jack Russels have this trait at roughly the same rate as Pitties (which is to say that most of them have it). I clearly stated that Pitties are ALSO typically dog agressive, I was not defending them as much as attacking the transparent "feel good" baloney that the story is based on. The story was clearly biased to plant certain conclusions in the mind of the non-critical reader. Of course the owners are going to put the dogs down... they can't do otherwise at this point, and the version of the story I read did not indicate that the dogs had shown human agression before this occurance (if they had they should already have been put down).

I was not defending Pit Bulls... merely pointing out the fact that the story as communicated is far less likely to be the REAL story than the scenario I suggested. My scenario is based on well documented breed behavior, the "story" is clearly hyperbole based on what some media genius knew would sucker in the most people. The problem I have with the story is that it once again demonizes a breed that is oft unjustly maligned and typically held to blame for the bad behavior of OTHER breeds, and it glorifies a breed that in general makes a poor pet for most potential dog owners (not many can deal with the ultra-high energy of Jack Russels).

The net result of this poor article is that lots of Jack Russels will be sold, many of which will end up at the pound. Additionally, we can expect to see some more breed specific anti-Pit Bull legislation. You can feel good about this article if you want, but I see NOTHING good about it.
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote