Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 06-12-2002, 09:04 PM   #1
Pencils
Welcomed New User

i was just wondering if int made you level up faster?
Pencils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 09:27 PM   #2
Pencils
Welcomed New User

im in a hurry someone please answer me [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Pencils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 09:30 PM   #3
Helspanth
Quintesson

Welcome to IW friend! [img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img]
The answer to your question is NO.
Old 06-13-2002, 10:37 AM   #4
Sir Exxon
Zartan

WELCOME TO IW! [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

As Helspanth said, no. Because for leveling up, you need a certain amount of experience points, which you get from quests, defeated enemies etc, and these are the same even if you have high or low intelligence.
The only thing higher intelligence does, is to make your mages able to memorize more spells. If you character has high int, he is also able to identify certain items with just looking at it. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 11:12 AM   #5
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Higher INT may influence some interactions with non-party NPC's as well; for example, a higher intelligence may net you some different dialog options instead of the ones you get with a lower INT.

-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 11:24 AM   #6
Suzaku
Drow Warrior

IIRC that's wisdom [img]tongue.gif[/img] . But INT scores help your spell mamorization limit.
Old 06-13-2002, 11:36 AM   #7
Helspanth
Quintesson

Actually intelligence determines the number of spells you can have in your spellbook.
a wizard with 9 int will memorize as many spells as a wizard with int 18.
BTW shouldn't int limit the maximum spell level?In PnP it does.
Old 06-13-2002, 07:47 PM   #8
Shadowpup
Dungeon Master

Yup.

High Int is pretty much only for Mages (and their various other incarnations). Higher Int gives higher number of spells in spell book, increased ability to learn spells from scrolls, and give access to higher level spells. 18 Int is required for Lvl 9 spells.
Shadowpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 08:10 PM   #9
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Suzaku:
IIRC that's wisdom [img]tongue.gif[/img] . But INT scores help your spell mamorization limit.
A little bit of both, actually. For example, in the Underdark:

(HUGE SPOILER):
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

When Solaufein asks you if you know what the "devourers" are, if you have a high enough INT, you are given the choice of "Illithid", otherwise, you are given the dialog choice of "Mind Flayer". Saying "Illithid" causes Solaufein to have greater respect for you, which is what you want to build up to get him to help you later on (esp. if you're playing good.)

I know, because my character has an INT of 10. I raised it artificially during that discussion by quaffing potions of Genius and I got the "Illithid" option rather than the "Mind Flayer" one. It does work.

-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 11:16 AM   #10
Jim
Quintesson

Quote:
IIRC that's wisdom
actually, INT, WIS and CHA are all responsible for dialogue options, sazerac's INT example is the one that first sprung to my mind too, although there are other examples e.g. in the bard stronghold where

spoiler
an INT of 19 is required to re-write the musical score for the production whilst maintaining a good standard of work. WIS helps when dealing with the beholder in the Sahuagin city, and CHA can basically help you solve quests e.g. in Brynnlaw, you can gain entry into the asylum through the pirate lord dialog if you CHA is high enough. These are just a few examples, there are many more situations where these stats help dialog.

INT, as stated above denotes the number of spells of each spell level that can be scribed into the spell book. It doesn't affect how many spells can be cast though, as this is determined by the level of the wizard. It also provides a bonus to lore which helps with the identifying of items.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote