Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 10-31-2002, 05:42 PM   #1
Silver-Wolf
Elite Waterdeep Guard

If i am useing a +3 sling would it be a waste to use +2 bullets? Or does the damage stack? Kind of wish my Dungeon Master in D&D would have put some more items like these in his campaigns so I wouldnt have to bother you guys with this question.

[ 10-31-2002, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: Silver-Wolf ]
Old 10-31-2002, 06:10 PM   #2
Nightowl2
Galvatron

That depends. You have to look carefully at the item description. Some weapons only have a bonus to hit; nothing extra for damage. Some have different bonuses for hitting and damage.

However, if you have a damage bonus on the weapon and a damage bonus for the missile, yes, they do stack.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 09:16 PM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

From my understanding...I could not say it any better than that...and agree with what has already been said. Thanks, Nightowl2!

By the way...who's Nightowl 1 ???
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 11:45 PM   #4
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Larry, no idea. When I signed up with the forum, the name Nightowl was already taken, so........

Nightowl2
Old 11-01-2002, 05:41 AM   #5
Balhifet
The Magister

Does that apply to bows, crossbows, darts, throwing hammers and things that return to user??
Old 11-01-2002, 12:19 PM   #6
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Well, the damage stacking applies to missile weapons that require a launcher. So arrows, bolts, and stones will add damage to any that the weapon provides.

Throwing items, well, darts and hammers don't need a launcher. I've never used those myself; bows are my preferred distance weapons. You may get a strength bonus add, or you may not. Someone else here may know (probably does know) about that.

Nightowl2
Old 11-02-2002, 06:44 AM   #7
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

Attack bonuses and damage bonuses stack. But enchantment bonus do not.

You got sling +2. (damage +2 attack +2 enchantment +2)

You use bullets +3 (damage +3 attack +3 enchantment +3)

You get +5 damage +5 attack bonus BUT you cant hit a monster who requires +4 weapon.

CrossBow for wizard cleric bard
Bow for rogue, ranger
Throwing Axe for fighter (dwarf
I can feel the touch of wind on my face. Strong wind was slapping my face. I can feel the ground shake. The sky roars with vengeance and fury. From the shadows, I heard the Archmage's words:"İbne Fenner!" And then..I can't remember the rest..
Zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 05:06 PM   #8
toriuxik
Banned Smartass

I use crossbows for everybody at low levels who doesn't have a handy dandy Rapid Shot feat. Once they DO have it though, then of course crossbows get more out of date. lol they kinda stink...
toriuxik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 05:13 PM   #9
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Later on, you'll come across some 2x crossbows, and in HOF, there are even 3x/4x bows. These are good mainly for clerics (who come with xbow proficiency). When you have rapid shot (can't be used with xbows, alas) and/or multiple attacks per round, it makes more sense to use regular bows, though.

Nightowl2
Old 11-02-2002, 06:07 PM   #10
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

"I use crossbows for everybody at low levels who doesn't have a handy dandy Rapid Shot feat. Once they DO have it though, then of course crossbows get more out of date. lol they kinda stink..."

For anyone who has a high Str, I reccomend the sling as it adds your Str bonus to its damage and still has a nice range. Basically it will out-damage a crossbow for strong characters - and will work woth rapid shot. And is very handy for piercing resistant monsters too.