Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2003, 08:41 AM   #1
allstargoaly
Dungeon Master

I know this is always a hot topic but...

This is going to sound crazy... For the last 5 years I have been working on a video game. Not just your ordinary RPG, but just UNBELIEVABLE!!! Unfortunately, I CAN NOT TELL YOU about the game because I fear my idea will be stolen (DON'T GET ME WRONG; I do not mean you guys will steal it, I just want to be safe).

I have been working really HARD (and I mean really hard) on this game for the last 5 years and I am very close to finishing. WHY SO LONG? I'm trying to make this game as good as possible. I have the ENTIRE STORY, all of the MONSTERS/BOSSES layed out (in every detail), every SPECIAL/MAGIC drawn out, and MUCH MUCH MORE...

SOOOO, WHAT IS THE PROBLEM??? I need to know how I can get it developed. I don't know how to program or how to put a game together. I have tried a couple of companies but NONE of them will hear me out. I have told a SELECT FEW ABOUT THIS GAME, but I only told people I could trust (family). And I'm willing to tell others, but only if it is going to help me get it produced.

I'm asking for help!!! I need to know if anyone can help in anyway possible. I would like for a company to actually make my game (if that is possible) but I KNOW THAT IS VERY UNLIKELY. If anyone can hear me out there; give me some advice, tell me IF there is a way, name a COMPANY/PERSON who wants to HEAR ME... ANYTHING TO HELP!!!
Old 11-12-2003, 09:21 AM   #2
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I know what you mean about not wanting your ideas stolen, I'm the same ways about my stories.

I doubt you will be able to get the attention of a big gaming company, but if you are willing to aim a little lower, there are some interesting game-making program you can use.

I saw one for sale at an electronic store not long ago, and I know of a few available on the net. I've heard of Game Maker, Rpg Maker I think there is one called Sphere too . I've seen a lot of game-making programs on the net, and they all have their own little community.

Even here at Ironworks we have a Dungeon Craft forum, which is a program to make old Dungeons and Dragons games.

Those programs usually recquire little to no programming knowledge. In my opinion, those are your best solution.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:50 AM   #3
allstargoaly
Dungeon Master

Yeah I know what you are talking about. I tried those before but it wasn't very pleasing (the results). I understand that it is hard to get a BIG NAME company to take my idea (not steal it) but I really don't mind if a smaller company wants to LISTEN. My REAL question is... is there a company that takes idea like mine and maybe (atleast) give it an effort. I don't care if it is TECHMO, THQ, EA GAMES, or any other BIG NAME companies. I just want a chance to let the world play my game. IT SOUNDS STUPID but what about a new rising company, slumping company, or just even a company that produces ideas from normal (non-employee) people.

I have been to GAME IDEA FORUMS, I have talked to some representatives, I even have friends of mine asking around... If only I could tell you about this game YOU WOULD REALIZE why I want it produced. I probably sound like an average game MAKER but I have never been SO SURE in my life before about anything; except for this GAME.

I will give you a sneak peek...
Imagine playing Final Fantasy, Wizardry, and Quest for Glory all at once. The shear mechanics of a Final Fantasy-like plot (and graphics), with the same fighting action of Wizardry and the character building skills of Quest for Glory; but... My game brings the strengths of most RPG games without any of the downfalls. Sounds like any game on the market today, but you can only imagine what else I have brought ot the table. For the last 5 years I have tried my best to perfect it. I am soooo close. I have done the math for EXP, I have calculated all of the STATS, I have designed my characters to perfect detail (down to every last hair), every scene/town is layed out perfectly, and now I wait for my chance...

AGAIN, if anyone can help... PLEASE DO...

Edit: I have used Dungeon Craft before... It is pretty cool, but not what I'm looking for.

[ 11-12-2003, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: allstargoaly ]
Old 11-12-2003, 10:16 AM   #4
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I admire your passion, but getting some attention from a gaming company is very very hard.

If you really want to do it, you first need to compile all your informations in a technical document. Make it as professional as possible and make sure it's clear and organised enough so that anyone could understand it. It should start with a little resume of your game and it's working, and then get as technical as needed.

Then if possible, ask a trustworty teacher if he can spellcheck your document. This is really important, you want your document (and so your game) to seem as professional as possible. You also need to sound professional. No begging or sucking up.

After that, make multiple copies of your document. Send one to yourself first, but don't open the package once you get it by the mail, as the stamp is your proof that you really had it by that date, just in case someone try to rip off your idea. Then send a copy or your document to every game company. Try to do some research so that you can send it to the right person. YOu can also send your document to individual rpg games developpers, if you can manage to get their adress, and ask them for help.

This is the best solution I have for you, and it's still very unlikely that you will get any responce.

If you want to feel safer, you could copyright your document, but that cost money. Just sending a copy of it to yourself should protect your intelectual property, unless the other person can prove he got the idea before you.

Edit: In my opinion, the company that is the most chance to listen to your idea is probably Valu-Soft. As they release lots of games, and usually are not as hard to please as the bigger companies.

[ 11-12-2003, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Old 11-12-2003, 10:20 AM   #5
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

Although companies can still take his entire idea and alter it slightly for their own purposes. Aren't there released (old) game-engines out there? If believe Interplay has released the Fallout editor to make your own stuff. Isn't that something? I know you still require some skills, but hey, if it's the only way to go...
Old 11-12-2003, 10:30 AM   #6
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Zuvio:

Although companies can still take his entire idea and alter it slightly for their own purposes. Aren't there released (old) game-engines out there? If believe Interplay has released the Fallout editor to make your own stuff. Isn't that something? I know you still require some skills, but hey, if it's the only way to go...
I don't think a company like Interplay would risk their good name over a game idea when they could just buy it. They can easily afford to buy the ideas they like.

The fallout editor is very restricting when it comes to customization. I don't think he could do what he want with it.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:41 AM   #7
allstargoaly
Dungeon Master

I appreciate the advice. I realize that is hard to get a company to commit to an idea. i just kind of wish that I would get lucky. I mean... the whole purpose of creating the video game (5 years ago) was is mind of maybe getting it published by a company. I never really had the aspects of doing it myself. In fact I did have a company interested in my idea last year. They were willing to produce it but... the company folded just before I "signed" the legal issues.

It is quite unfortunate but I still have hope that maybe, just maybe, I will get lucky.
Old 11-12-2003, 12:41 PM   #8
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I thought that I had been told by a certain individual a few months ago that the people at BIOWARE were always interested in contracting people who could do certain things. I was thinking that maybe if you had the knowledge of game creation, layout, and strategy you might be a person that they would consider for contracting. You could prove to them first that you have the ability and desire, and after a while when you are comfortable with the people and have a few friends in the higher levels, you could then mention your game. They would be more prone to listening, since you had proven yourself. It could be a promotion into the company. Just a thought.
Old 11-12-2003, 05:32 PM   #9
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by allstargoaly:
I appreciate the advice. I realize that is hard to get a company to commit to an idea. i just kind of wish that I would get lucky. I mean... the whole purpose of creating the video game (5 years ago) was is mind of maybe getting it published by a company. I never really had the aspects of doing it myself. In fact I did have a company interested in my idea last year. They were willing to produce it but... the company folded just before I "signed" the legal issues.

It is quite unfortunate but I still have hope that maybe, just maybe, I will get lucky.
Well... it's time to stop dreaming and start sending those documents. No one can buy your idea if they don't know about it. [img]tongue.gif[/img]