Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 06-11-2001, 10:51 AM   #1
Shadowblade
The Magister

Hello and welcome, I have a question (Well thats new to the forum isnt it!)

Long Swords appear to have the same stats as axes, except long swords are faster, also magical long swords are more powerful by far than magic axes, are axes just for the roleplayers in this world?

My ranger wields the two most powerful axes in the game, I'm finding it hard to resist changing them to powerful longswords. Any ideas why I should keep them as axes?

Feel free to argue!

------------------
We are leeds, we are LEEDS,WE ARE LEEDS
WELCOME TO RUSSIA!
Old 06-11-2001, 10:57 AM   #2
antonius
Zhentarim Guard

I think that axes are a bit naff too. They just don't seem to have the same "extras" - the stuns, invisibility etc.

I think it's probably down to lack of demand.

I also think we need 2H-axes

Keep the axes - it's more original
Old 06-11-2001, 11:00 AM   #3
Gwhanos, Lord Of Evil

Wield a Death Sword with Azuredge. Enemies watchout!

------------------
Will the real cheesy lich stop using timestop, stop using time stop, YEAH BABY! :1diablo:

Old 06-11-2001, 11:08 AM   #4
Graccus
Dungeon Master

I've only made it to Chapter 6, but I'd say that what I've seen has been roughly equal. Minsc right now is using Frostreaver and Souldrinker, with Azuredge in reserve. Maybe I just haven't run into the good swords yet
Old 06-11-2001, 01:14 PM   #5
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Axes can be very good for character classes that cannot use "missile" weapons.

For instance, Kensai and Cavaliers cannot use missile weapons. However, I don't believe that a thrown axe (i.e. Rifthome +3 or Throwing axes) qualifies as a "missile" weapon. Therefore, those classes gain a quasi-missile weapon is they have axes (or hammers) that can be thrown.

Also, Berserkers cannot do any more than specialize in missile weapons. If you Grand Master in axes...I believe that those bonuses still apply when you throw the axe. Big-time bonuses...

------------------

Now where did I leave that doughnut?!
Old 06-11-2001, 01:21 PM   #6
E`bola
Dungeon Master

axes rulez
maybe will be good to make some better, but I will used it ever

------------------
mostly harmless
Old 06-11-2001, 01:42 PM   #7
Docjest
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Gwanos, what is that "Death Sword"

------------------
It's tough to keep your feet dry while you're kicking in a skull.
Old 06-11-2001, 01:55 PM   #8
Drawde1
The Magister

Overall axes aren't quite as good as swords BUT you can get some very good ones early on, for a very reasonable price. Stonefire is +3 and kills trolls easily due to the fire damage, and Azuredge is lethal against undead (especially since you can throw it, no need to get close to those nasty level-draining vampires). Both are about 3500GP which is a bargain for weapons that powerful.
Also, from a role-playing point of view, the axe is the quintessential dwarf weapon, could you imagine a dwarven warrior without an axe?
Old 06-11-2001, 07:08 PM   #9
Desuma_Malevois

You can also consider that having more that one "*" in axes gives you skill bonuses with both melee AND ranged weaponry, so from that viewpoint they can be considered a more efficient use of your weapon profs.

Old 06-11-2001, 07:11 PM   #10
jabidas
Silver Dragon

They probably figured everyone will go for longswords the most obvious weapon so they made loads of them.

------------------