Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2004, 02:53 PM   #1
BRO,JD
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Greetings all,
I was in the Serpent Temple, somewhere near or past the kitchens where I had just gotten the empty flasks. I think I was teleported somewhere. Suddenly I was in a dark room with only one exit. It led to a hallway that connected to two more square, dark rooms and nothing else (except one weird place in the wall on one of the hallways). The northeastern room had a ledge that I jumped down into a room with lots of barrels, crates, ale kegs, and a treasure chest.

In the northwestern corner of that room was an automatic elevator that went down two levels. The middle level had nothing on it except some more crates and a treasure chest.

The lowest level had two or three rooms and nothing else except the bottom of an elevator shaft. I can see the elevator above me when I go in the shaft but can't find a lever or any other way to lower it. That elevator seems to be the only way out.

Am I missing something here? How do I get the elevator down? I've done a search on the forum and haven't found any similar problems in the Serpent Temple.

Thanks.
BRO,JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 05:07 PM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Hi BRO,JD!

This is a known problem and if you do a search on the keywords "kitchen elevator" you do find posts on this problem. I'll save you the trouble though -

I'm guessing that, without realising it, you pressed the button to activate the elevator twice, got on it, rode it down to the other rooms. Meanwhile, the elevator has returned to its up position and there it will stay. The button is an "on/off" switch and accidentally pressing it twice effectively turns it off.

IF you have the spell Vanish - you can try to use that to get out of your current area by casting it on a member of your party. If you were able to cast a portal spell - you can try to teleport yourself to your portal. If you have Call of Home you can return to Ishad N'ha.

If you have none of the above spells - I believe you are going to have to reload your last save prior to the kitchen elevator and try it again.

I don't know about you, but I always save before I enter a dungeon and I have a separate save that I use in the dungeon when I'm sure that I'm still doing fine. Hope you won't have to go back to far in your game!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 09:58 PM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Hmmm... I'm not sure exactly where you are, but I think you're in the area Wyv is talking about. CAn you find the spot on Bsftcs' maps? I know it's not specifically marked, but it can help to identify just where you are.

I thought the problem with the kitchen elevator involved being stuck at the top, with the elevator refusing to go down. If you're below the elevator, you *should* be able to jump into the shaft and exit through the opening on the bottom. I don't remember if there's a wall or door there that gets opened when you activate the elevator; if there is, you're indeed toast (barring the casting of vanish, teleport, or the mystical reverse time spell).

I don't think that Call of Home will work; seems to me that works outdoors only. If you are really stuck, you can click on revert game, which will take you back to the last town you exited. Sometimes you can lose a lot of gaming that way, but it may be better than starting over...

Let us know if that covers it or not.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 02:36 AM   #4
BRO,JD
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for the info. I don't have any of those wonderful spells, but I do think that I've got it saved before I got stuck here.

It's almost time for work, so I'll have to look into this tonight.

Bungleau, I can get to three levels on the one working elevator. The top level is the crescent-shaped area under the 'ral' in "Upper Central," the middle level is the crescent-shaped area corresponding on the lower central level. The working elevator is on the left (west) end of the crescent. The bottom level (where I can get into the elevator shaft but am underneath the elevator is not on either of those two maps (at least not that I can recognize). Nor is the very first area that I was in that I had to jump out of.

Save early and save often.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:59 AM   #5
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

I had presumed that you were referring to the kitchen elevator area but now it sounds like you are somewhere else. Even with the maps it can be hard to identify exactly where you are which, of course, would be helpful. I'm having a hard time figuring out where you are.

I was glad to read that you probably have a save from just before getting stuck! A good save file will solve many problems.

Hope you will manage not to get stuck again - please do let us know!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 10:40 AM   #6
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Hmmm... I'll have to take a look at it tonight. I see where you're at... I just don't remember the details of that area. One of the challenges of the serpent temple... it defies conventional mapping

And you do have the Revert Time spell, BTW... it's better known as reloading a saved game, but I prefer to call it Revert Time. Sounds... more powerful, doesn't it? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 11:01 AM   #7
bsftcs
Red Dragon

It definitely sounds like you have vanished yourself into the small cellar corridor leading from the kitchen elevator to the storeroom elevator. The storeroom elevator is always moving whereas the kitchen elevator has to be switched on by pressing a button in the kitchen. If you vanished from the kitchen without pressing the button the kitchen elevator will not work and you will be stuck there unless you manage to vanish back.
Old 10-25-2004, 01:09 PM   #8
BRO,JD
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ohhhh, that Revert Time spell. I guess I'll have to use it now.
Old 10-25-2004, 02:53 PM   #9
aleph_null1
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by bsftcs:
It definitely sounds like you have vanished yourself into the small cellar corridor leading from the kitchen elevator to the storeroom elevator.
Exactly what I thought, bsftcs, except BRO,JD never said that he had Vanish yet, and it's usually odd to have it so soon (unless you just rushed a Wiz -> Warlock conversion, which tends to be a bad call...)

[img]graemlins/dunno.gif[/img]
aleph_null1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 07:50 PM   #10
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Hmmm, that is true. But then there is always the possibility that he has played the game for a while and perhaps finished the crypt and then reset the adventure in order to get better characters before embarking on the real quest. Really, it is not that impossible to get the vanish spell before entering the temple. It could also have been cast from a scroll.

I also know that some creatures may use the vanish spell on one's party (e.g. the Djinni of the Lamp and the Leprechaun), but I do not think creatures this early in the game are capable of doing so.