Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2004, 11:04 AM   #1
jsalsb
Elminster

Well, I haven't actually played through W&W for over a year, and since I figured I won't have much time to do so in the foreseeable future (new baby arriving in less than a month!!!), I decided to take one last romp round the ol' Gael Serran.

Boy! It's one thing to think you know the game (I've played it through at least 4 or 5 times) and to flippantly give advice to the needy... but have I ever been stuck several times already!

Perfect example: this is the first time I've played without the patch. I'm perpetually stuck in the serpent pool past the slime trying to get the idol. I have glibly given others the advice of "just select your smallest party member, then you'll fit fine." Well, it doesn't work for me. I don't want to wait around forever trying to learn to vanish, so I just gave up on the book of the serpent and typed in the responses to the X-Spirit's questions.

Another event: How many times do you think I stoned half my party trying to kill Xydusa before I remembered the elixir!! I actually spent about an hour hacking, dying and reloading before I thought, "uh, wait a minute here..."

I can't wait to find out what other humbling moments I will encounter. This game still rocks! (I don't think I've ever used the term "rocks" before. This warranted it.)
Old 09-17-2004, 11:25 AM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

LOL!!!

Yes - it is so easy to hand out advice when you've played the game often only to find that it isn't always as easy as you remember when you replay. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Have you had a change of computer or OS since the last time you played? I haven't played since we got me a new computer and upgraded to WinXP pro. Haven't played much of anything except perhaps Settlers III and Bookworm. Hope I will be ready for Dungeon Lords when it comes out.

CONGRATS on the baby!!! That's always a special event!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 11:35 AM   #3
jsalsb
Elminster

I have the same computer/OS as last time I played through: a toshiba laptop with an ati radion 32 meg graphics card (good enough by far for the old stuff) and WinXP home. I've had no other tech problems so far (I did the vdub), except the odd crash for no reason. but it's always done that on any system. I'm not going to install the patch unless something comes up that I REALLY have to.

I'll be home on parental leave starting January, when the baby's 3 months old. Hope Dungeon Lords is out by then. Something to do during nap time!
Old 09-17-2004, 12:15 PM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

LOL, Jon! I'm experiencing many of the same things myself. And I can't remember the last time I actually got the book of the serpent... I keep getting stuck

What I enjoy about a replay is that brief period of time when you're so used to your end-game characters that you forget that you're mortal... and yes, those pesky worgurs can (and will!) kill you... [img]smile.gif[/img] It's refreshing, in a bizarre psychotic way, to be wimpy again

And also congrats on the incoming heir to the family's fortune! [img]graemlins/babygoo.gif[/img] May it be all that you dream it will... and if you actually get time to play, I'll be impressed! I've usually used naptime for... well... naps! [img]graemlins/sleeping.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 01:20 PM   #5
aleph_null1
Red Wizard of Thay

Congrats on the future baby, jsalsb [img]smile.gif[/img]

So I'm doing the solo rogue game (i.e. no changing roles), and I'd forgotten how much it sucked. First thing I do is whip out my Dagger & try to kill Grue Morde...

... forgetting that the Dagger did 2-4 instead of 20-74 and that I had 9 HP instead of something 4-figures

So, yeah, humbling... I haven't run away from Trolls in a while...

But now that I've hit Ishad N'ha & can train up some cool things in the Guild, things are going much more smoothly.
aleph_null1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 03:32 PM   #6
jsalsb
Elminster

Thanks everyone for all the congrats! I'm very sceptical about 1) how much time I'll have to play anything (W&W or Dungeon Lords); and 2) that I'll want to do anything at all other than stare at the baby when he's sleeping!

The baby is due in 3+ weeks, but my wife is convinced he's coming SOONER! So I've probably started a W&W round that will never get completed. Maybe I should take 2 weeks off work and finish it. I have my priorities [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-17-2004, 03:35 PM   #7
jsalsb
Elminster

...and what I really love about replay is the amount of times I've blown my party up casting flamestrike at close quarters before (re-)learning my lesson!
Old 09-18-2004, 12:32 AM   #8
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Oh, yeah... the ever-present "quickspell"

I really, really, REALLY hate suddenly remembering that my warlock was set to cast firestorm.... moments after it's been cast [img]smile.gif[/img] Some of the fastest back-pedaling you'll ever see...

I've also discovered this time that Spectral Raven works on you, too... and that Whirling Dervish is rather cool for many opponents in close quarters... unless you're also in the close quarters
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 03:50 AM   #9
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Ahh yes replaying. It's like re-learning the whole game over again. However, these are what I must remind myself of..

1. You cannot go toe to toe with a Amazon Plant. better stay fay away and cast spells on them.

2. While selecting the spells, it won't pause the game.

3. You need to click on the raft so that you'll be able to board it.

4. At the stout mines, BOARD the trolley first before clicking the lever.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 10:41 AM   #10
jsalsb
Elminster

5. that screaming sound you hear while levelling up is your party being butchered.

6. the reason your 6th-slot Ratling rogue is always down to half hitpoints is that you keep getting her stuck in doors and elevators.

7. where the heck does one find a Raptor egg?!?!

8. the spinning round and round you do trying to avoid cast spells is because you can't for the life of you remember what you've set the strafe keys to.

(looks like we got us a thread...!)