Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 01-07-2001, 01:20 PM   #11
Kore'tha-Konkoror

Only cheat I've used is the create an item to make another gem bag and a couple more scrool cases, oh and I was spoiled when you guys ruined the Yoshimo betrayal plot for me. Thanks alot!

Old 01-07-2001, 01:33 PM   #12
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Kore'tha-Konkoror, You weren't referring to me I hope. I was referring to when you first meet Yoshi. Because I had his portrait - he had Montarons.
Old 01-07-2001, 01:48 PM   #13
Kore'tha-Konkoror

I can't remember who it was. It was in the which class is used the least thread I think, someone brought up Yoshimo which totally caught me off guard. Or it might have been in the best party or npc thread. It was a joke anyway, I kinda figured he was a traitor.

Old 01-07-2001, 01:58 PM   #14
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Months ago I really was spoiled by that, and needlessly dropped him - thus missing a cool plot development. But we should say no more, or be cryptic in our conversation or we will spoil for a newbie that drops in thinking
"To cheat or not to cheat? That is the question." and reads about that new NPC they've just picked up....
Old 01-07-2001, 02:22 PM   #15
UserFriendly

The one thing about advanced d and d rules that drives me totally nuts is the requirement to rest before recasting a spell. i enjoy magic a lot, and have always played mages in fantasy rpg's. and to me, the most fun part of a battle is figuring out the right combination of spells to cast to take out the oponent quickly and efficently. thats the main appeal of bg2 for me, the rocks-paper aproach to spell duels...counter spell reflection with spellstrike, stoneskin with flame arrow, imprison with freedom, and its nice that the developers have made a counter for each spell, and the few totally usefull spells are defensive. there is no truely effective offensive spell, they all have counters and limits.

so i play a 20 level sorceror with about 60 spells. i really enjoy going thru my spellguides and saying, do i need charm when i can get domination? and hold person can be replaced by hold monster, and skull trap is better than fireball because it does not have damage limits at higher levels...

you get the idea. anyway, I cheat once in the game, get my character setup as a total lich/mage killing machine, then play without cheats for the rest of the game. I'm a old turn based strategy player, so I'm not good at, or interested in movement based tactics. turn based is sorta like chess games, you patiently build up a good position, then drop a house on your opponent. also, I'm frankly often very sadistic. I never cast one cloudkill when i can cast a cloudkill, deathfog and incindeary cloud for good measure.

surprise anyone I work in networks in my real life? most of what I do day to day is to figure out how to optimize performance given strict equipment limits, so I'm always attuned to "cheating".

I also follow a specific rule, I always make sure I never destabalize the game, so I don't create god characters.

Old 01-07-2001, 02:45 PM   #16
One ANGRY lil' man

I call it godly intervention. I dropped the pommel jewel to the equalizer so I put it back in really didn't make the game easier never used the equalizer. Sometimes I cheat to see things like to see what my charecter would look like in different armor or see if that weapon does what they say it did small stuff.

Old 01-07-2001, 03:31 PM   #17
JDH1004

Well I gotta admit I purchased the guide book that went along with this game if thats cheating then I guess I cheat. Also I have use the CLUACONSOLE to get Drizzt's items that I had in Balder's Gate 1. And once I used the CLUACONSOLE to give my party more gold than it had to purchase potions of extra-healing. But in general I try to play the game on the level. I certainly don't make level 50 characters. I guess the reason I have the guidebook is because I don't like missing anything and I don't have alot of time to play in a sitting.

But no that I have beaten the game I think I will download one of the editors and play several different classes and experiment. I definitly want to go back to Firkraag and fight him again.

Old 01-07-2001, 04:56 PM   #18
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I share Glorick's sentiments exactly. The only person you are cheating is yourself, after all, and if you don't mind then do it. The game is your investment in your leisure time and feel free to do whatever maximizes your enjoyment of it. If that includes cheating, editing, hacking, adding, whatever, go for it! I was just getting a sense of professional disdain for people who do cheat in BG2 and I just wanted to encourage them to do whatever they wanted to do to enrich their gaming experience and not feel like a lower life form in the process.
Old 01-08-2001, 12:44 AM   #19
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Hi Memnoch,

In regard to your post:

"I was just getting a sense of professional disdain for people who do cheat in BG2 and I just wanted to encourage them to do whatever they wanted to do to enrich their gaming experience and not feel like a lower life form in the process."

I think it's out of respect for the games boundaries that, not really disdain, but definitely a discouragement of the practice is put forth for precisely that reason. To enrich the gaming experience of newcomers to it. When confronted with a difficulty, how many times do you see the words posted: "Is this a bug?" How many people are tempted to add that item they missed, when really another one may lie around the corner?

I respect the designers work and dedication too much to just toss aside a difficulty that may have been carefully thought out. I also encourage non-cheating so that people keep on playing the game, and so discover the wealth of experiences that can be missed in just one or two games. That's one of the strengths the BG series has over other games, it's replayability. Of course it's better to cheat if a purely 'legal' game is not enjoyable or has to be replayed. Some of the battles are damn hard, and when it comes down to it, what's worse: Reloading 20 times or adding some potions?

Completing the game totally unaided is definitely a feat though and I would seek to praise this rather than discourage the opposite (positive rather than negative reinforcement) because it enhances the reputation of a great game. No-one can call it easy.

But then each to their own.

Just my thoughts mate. Feel free to shoot me down.
Old 01-08-2001, 07:49 AM   #20
Tobbin
Red Dragon

I totally agree with you Memnoch. Although I don't like cheating that much, I have gotten pretty proficient with it. Mostly started from some friends though. They kept complaining about how hard the game was. Before I knew about Shadow Cheater, I was hex editing the save games myself. I thought about writing a program like I did for Diablo, but it was so much easier since someone else had beaten me to it. I just pull it out when someone complains too much or I get really big bugs in the software, but it's good to know that we have something if we need it. I'll have to say that I haven't gotten around to working with the items though (other than spawning them), cause I caused a lot of older games to crash when I would try and change them around. Best left to the professionals, I say.