Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 03-19-2001, 11:02 AM   #1
alekz
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hello, I cannot identify anything that I find. When I right click on a object and then click identify both scroll and spell is greyed out. What should I do? I have wasted loads of money in stores to identify objects. I have tried all five characters and none can identify. I'm just at the end of chapter 1 after clearing out the tent.

Please help.

Thanks
Old 03-19-2001, 11:07 AM   #2
Melusine
Dracolisk

Hello alekz!
This might be a stupid question but do your characters actually have any Identify spells memorised or Identify scrolls in their inventories?
If that isn't the problem, then it might be a bug...have you installed the patch?
You could always take HaerDelis in your party, he has a very high lore, which means he'll be able to identify lots of things without using the Identify spell.

------------------
Melusine, Archbabe of the OHF and the LH

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 03-19-2001, 11:09 AM   #3
White Knight
Elite Waterdeep Guard

First of all, characters with higher lore scores (like mages and bards) may identify items automatically. This will happen when you right click on the item. Failing that, the character trying to identify must either a) have an identify scroll in his possession, or b) have the identify spell (1st level mage spell) memorized. Then the options won't be grayed out. Note that even low level mages can have four or five level one spells, so you can select all identify spells, rest, identify items, and then reselect your normal spells (magic missile, etc.) and rest again.
Old 03-19-2001, 11:36 AM   #4
Aurican
Elminster

I think that if a scroll is in your scroll case like identify you can't use it. That could be the problem, if its not you may well have a bug. Also you may just have the identify spell ready to be memorized instead of actually memorized, if it is fogged over and transparent in the spell book you still need to memorize it. Nothing like a good nights sleep to clear that up.

------------------
Can an elf get a break anywhere these days?
Old 03-19-2001, 01:48 PM   #5
alekz
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi, Aeire has the identify spell memorized in her mage book and Jehiera has two identify scrolls. When I give an unknown object to Jehiera she can't identify it, how do I make her use the scroll, like write magic, so she remebers it. Aeire can't identify either. I have the patch from the BG2 website.
Old 03-19-2001, 02:09 PM   #6
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

First of all Jaheira cannot memorize the Identify spell. It is a mage spell and she is a druid. Second, is Aerie wearing armor. If she is she cannot use her mage spells. Third, have you rested since assigning spell slots for identify. You have to rest to actually memorize the spells. Check the mage book and if the spell is "gray" then it hasn't been memorized.

Give the identify scrolls to Aerie and she will be able to use them.

------------------

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear ignorant,
than open it and remove all doubt!
Old 03-19-2001, 02:11 PM   #7
deverece
Dungeon Master

only mages can use identify scrolls. All other characters can identify stuff if their lore is high enough.

------------------
Dying ain't much of a living, boy.
- Josey Wales
Old 03-19-2001, 02:53 PM   #8
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

This game also has the identify Glasses, that holds five enchantments of the identify spell, per day. I gave each of my six chars. this item with the cheat code so that anyone of them could identify stuff.

------------------

Larry, ??? of the OHF
Old 03-19-2001, 05:08 PM   #9
Marillion
The Magister

Don't know if there is a wizard class type that has the Identify spell at it's opposing magic school but if there is that might be the reason why you cant cast it.

------------------
Old 03-19-2001, 05:34 PM   #10
alekz
Elite Waterdeep Guard

OK people, it seems like Aeire can use her identify spell now. Thanks alot for all your help. Gonna play some more now.

Thanks again