Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-28-2002, 01:57 AM   #1
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

I thought for a change instead of one of those music polls where you just say what bands you like, I thought we could have a discussion on why you like/dislike the types of music you do. Ie I really dont like most classical music as they seem to go on forever and have no lyrics thereby in my mind being pretty much worthless. I would go into more detail but that was just an example.
No slagging off people's tastes in music [img]tongue.gif[/img] Only the music genres themselves, so no saying "old people catch up with the times" or "the young people these days have no taste in music."

Azuremakingcloudylistentoincubus.
Old 01-28-2002, 03:17 AM   #2
Lord Killjoy
Manshoon

I like anything that sounds good from Death Metal all the way to classical and R&B. Its just what appeals to your ear. One thing I don't like is all these cookie cutter bands today. Everybody sounds the same. And MTV is a total loss even if the put an Actual video its some garbage like pink or Britany Spears (the girl who lipsyncs her concerts because she can't dance and sing, I've met this girl I know her uncle. She can barely walk and chew bubblegum). in the last 5 years top 40 music has been its most unoriginal and dull since well ever. Hopefully very soon a Beatles, Zepplin, or Nirvana will come along and make listening to the radio worth my while again. I haven't listened to a radio in a few years and it's a shame I used to like the radio. It may be that I'm getting older, shoot I'm only 25. There are a few stars in the black hole of Pop music today bet even they seem a little uninspired i.e. Destiny's Child, Lincoln Park, garbage, and a few others.

Plus the corporatization of some of today's the best bands has deystroyed them.

Korn: First 2 alblums rocked, wore out the CD's listening to them. After that junk.

Metallica: Greatest metal band ever. Kill'em all, Master of puppets, and ride the lightening are the three greatest metal alblums of all time. From the black alblum on theysold out and now they make garbage.

Look at the top 40 a good chunk of the bands on there have been around for 10 years plus, U2, Foo Fighters(Nirvana), Puff Daddy, Kids today are looking for good music and they are turning to bands that i listened to in High School 8 years ago. Name me another generation that did that.

Here's a short list of some of the cd's I have to verify my wide range of musical interest:

Mozart
Cannibal Corpse
Charllote Church(Both her CDs) Not the christmas album gotta draw the
line.
DMX
Bach
Misfits(every album with and without Glen)
about 30 Trance compiliations
Every Dead Kennady's album.
Cypress Hill
every U2 alblum
first 5 Metallica alblums (Even an original Garage days$$$$) I tossed the black album in the garbage in disgust.
Tori Amos

Alot of people dislike music because its not the genre they listen too. Like what you like and who cares who made it or if your friends don't like it.

Everybody has different tastes music is what makes you feel good.

Lord Killjoy

[img]graemlins/1djsmile.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/dance.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/dancing.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/happydance.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/music06.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/superdude.gif[/img]
Old 01-28-2002, 03:32 AM   #3
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

Im much the same when it comes to a variety, but country and classical are just going to far in my mind [img]tongue.gif[/img] And most plastic pop too.

Some bands in different Genres I listen too:

Metal:

Kittie (REALLY pissed me off that Fallon left the band though )
Tool
Taproot

Teen Angst (is this a genre? [img]tongue.gif[/img] )

Nirvana
Placebo

Soft Rock

Counting Crows
Ben Harper

Pop

Dido
Jewel

Ill put these under political protest [img]tongue.gif[/img]

RATM
SOAD
Cranberries

And the list goes on.
Old 01-28-2002, 04:10 AM   #4
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Azure: "Teen Angst" I've heard called "Emo" as a genre, short for "emotive".

-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 01-28-2002, 04:39 AM   #5
Grojlach
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
Azure: "Teen Angst" I've heard called "Emo" as a genre, short for "emotive".

-Sazerac

Yes, but Placebo and Nirvana are definitely not "Emo". The better known definition of Emo includes bands like Sunny Day Real Estate, At the Drive In, Far and Fugazi. Nirvana is grunge (even though that genre has a more or less negative undertone these days after the shameless rip-offs from Bush and Creed), Placebo is just a quality rockband. I'm sure there's a subgenre for them as well, but I can't really recall it this very moment.
Old 01-28-2002, 04:52 AM   #6
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:

Yes, but Placebo and Nirvana are definitely not "Emo". The better known definition of Emo includes bands like Sunny Day Real Estate, At the Drive In, Far and Fugazi. Nirvana is grunge (even though that genre has a more or less negative undertone these days after the shameless rip-offs from Bush and Creed), Placebo is just a quality rockband. I'm sure there's a subgenre for them as well, but I can't really recall it this very moment.

Ach thats what I was searching for "Grunge" dont know why I couldnt remember it. And yeah placebo are a rock group but they do have a lot of angst too [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-28-2002, 05:28 AM   #7
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

I really like reggae, hip-hop, roots etc.
That's what I call music that MEANS something, and let me just point out that I do NOT listen to american hip-hop (except Cypress Hill and Redman 'cause they're so damn funny ), I listen to swedih, norwegian, french, danish, african hip-hop, which are not so violence-fixated as the american
I don't like to hear about some stupid, inbred, immature brat talking about how many people he killed and how many women he had sex with
But I also listen to some metal..trash metal, heavy metal..
Like Metallica, Iron Maiden and Creed..
And of course I have every Nirvana album
So you see, I have a very wide taste in music, but I just can't stand these lousy pop-bands..
They are all clones of each other like Westlife, Bakstreet Boys, Five, Britney Spears, Destiny's Child, Samantha Mumba etc.. [img]graemlins/1puke.gif[/img]
Old 01-28-2002, 05:49 AM   #8
Melusine
Dracolisk

I love classical music (BTW Azure, operas, choir music and various other genres DO have lyrics and vocals [img]smile.gif[/img] ). First and foremsot, the composers I like are people with a deep understanding of music, tone, composition, harmony, etc. Contrary to some modern bands, not everybody can pick up and instrument and become a classical musician.
The complexity of the music is often astonishing, but as a whole, the music remains euphonious for the most part. Classical music isn't necessarily boring or tedious, it can be truly daring and surprising, especially modern classical music. I love the way classical singers use their voices, I love coloratura, I love the emotions it can let loose in a person. Try going to a live performance of Mozart's Requiem or Carl Orff's Carmina Burana to feel the power. [img]smile.gif[/img]
You can compare it to many movies and videogames (take Fellowship Of The Ring) - they often use choirs in highly emotionally-charged parts.

I also love rock music and I used to be a big metal fan, but I do have the prerequisite that the musicians know how to play - that they have both some measure of technical skill and a good feel for their music. If the musicians are good at what they do, I can love any genre.
Old 01-28-2002, 05:53 AM   #9
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

LOL Mel I have been to a live classical concert in which they played Mozart's Requiem and I tried to listen! I truly did!
But.....

I fell asleep [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-28-2002, 06:20 AM   #10
Melusine
Dracolisk

quote:
Originally posted by AzureWolf:
LOL Mel I have been to a live classical concert in which they played Mozart's Requiem and I tried to listen! I truly did!
But.....

I fell asleep [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Are you sure? The whole of it? Must have been a lousy choir then [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Anyway I can understand that people don't like classical music - I detest SOME classical music myself. It does surprise me a little however when people fail to notice (let alone appreciate) the obvious genius with which some classical music is composed. If you would listen to the Kyrie Eleison from his Requiem for instance, you'd notice how brilliantly it is put together. The main theme is repeated by the different voicegroups (soprano tenor alto bass) in such an ingenious way it is stunning. You need a recording where all can be distinguished clearly, some recordings have altogether too many sopranos so the rest drowns out. But I'm probably preaching in the wrong church here anyway

I just cannot understand some people (not you [img]smile.gif[/img] ) who say classical music is boring and then they put on some uninspired mainstream one-ht-wonder RnB and they don't think THAT's boring?? LOL, I don't have anything against any genre per se, but I want to hear something new, a well-written refrain, or an original singer, or an interesting rhythm... anything [img]smile.gif[/img]