Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 07-20-2001, 08:00 PM   #1
Gil-Galad
The Magister

Ok, I've played BG and BGII through a couple of times, but never with the same character. So my search for advice (not necesarilly answers!!!) is this:

I want to play both games, and ToB when it is available in England, through with the same character.
I seem to get "stuck" in the same way of thinking up my character every time I try to start a new game (good, paladin-sort-of-style). Any good ideas (I know you have plenty), on how to create a really enjoyable character/party to go through both games?

I am a roleplayer and not a power-gamer, so Celestrial Fury and Crom Faeyr and so on doesn't turn me on as much as "Edwins mission really got me into his character".
My previous parties has consisted of something like:

BG: Jaheira/Khalid, Imoen, Kivan, Minsc, Dynaheir, Xan.
BGII: Aerie, Anomen, Yoshi, Nalia, Imoen, Jaheira, Minsc.

Any advice (even "get a grip - try it out for yourself") is heavily appreciated, not big spoilers, though. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-20-2001, 09:33 PM   #2
Malavon
Dungeon Master

Well, ive always apreciated a theif (assassin for BGII) with low strength- around 11 or 12, other stats as high as u can get them... and because of low strength, it make u have to use real strategy, y'know, scout with ur theif, lay some traps around the enemy, bring ur mage in (invisible) cast Horror, or some other confusion type spell so groups will scatter and run into the traps uv set, and the ur tanks will come in an pick off the rest... that kind of stradegy. i also dont like to be a powerhouse, killing everything with one hit just takes the fun out of it.
plus having a chaotic evil player, u can really get mischeivious and itll feel justified (to a degree
so anyways thats just my preference, hope it helped!

PS. Get a grip on it!... lol

Malavon

------------------
"have ye ever looked a seagull in the eye, eh?
There be evil there... pure evil.
An' I means to hunt them all... All of 'em!"
Stivan the Hunter
Old 07-20-2001, 09:35 PM   #3
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

You know, the higher your STR the lower your THAC0. And most Thieves need a low THAC0 to make certain that their backstab will hit.
Old 07-20-2001, 09:38 PM   #4
Malavon
Dungeon Master

thats where u get to have fun hunting dow items to improve THOCO, and ull need that strategy even more!

Malavon

------------------
"have ye ever looked a seagull in the eye, eh?
There be evil there... pure evil.
An' I means to hunt them all... All of 'em!"
Stivan the Hunter
Old 07-20-2001, 09:39 PM   #5
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

No, I think it best to have a lower DEX than STR for a Thief if you want to strategize.
Old 07-21-2001, 12:42 AM   #6
THE MASEMASTER
Elite Waterdeep Guard

try starting your game with a nonhuman multi classed charactor like A Fighter/Mage or A Fighter/Thief or best of all A chaotic Good Fighter/Mage/Thief
I've played all three of these charactors in Baldur's Gate and used them in
Baldur's Gate II and I'm now using my favorite A Neutral Good Fighter/Mage that
I,ve used in 7 games so far and now for the first time in THRONE OF BHAAL and he is still kicking ASS. A True Bhaal spawn so far but you try something other
than Paladin. I've Played with my main charactor as a paladin and the in SoA
I made A Wizard Slayer but my Fighter/Mage Could kick the wizard Slayers ass
with one hand tied behind his back and his helmet on backward.

------------------
IS IT FRIDAY YET !!
Old 07-21-2001, 08:16 AM   #7
Robin, Thief of Hearts
The Magister

Being partial to thieves, how could anything else come to mind?

One cool idea is to try this-
Start off in BG1 as a Thief. Then, in BG2, retire and dual class. If you do that, you get to have a wider game experience.

You'll have to be a Burglar to make it work well I guess as there aren't any kits in BG1. Because of in game events, it's good to be running a thief yourself in BG2.
You can "surprise" the guys in your new party by suddenly whipping out skills they never knew you had. Of course, that requires that you have mostly new people!

Roleplaying doesn't needfully mean "weak" - simply "interesting". I'm running a retired Evil mage, who has turned to crime. He's a Thief now, using his powers of magic to augument his new field. He sought out Korgan as a bodyguard, and Edwin as a colleague. Being a lustful kind of guy, he's now trying to make time with Viconia.