Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2006, 02:19 PM   #1
Godzilla
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I thought I would keep track of how many times my characters died before the end of the game. I will consider a point system when I finish (I haven't done the whole game yet). With the current party I've been to Gigas and a brief visit (tough right now) to the swamp (sorry, don't have level info handy). All of my characters have zero deaths - I don't count NPCs. I DO have one non-combat whole party death at the training course at Gigas. I don't put this on the same bad scale as losing lives in combat, because I don't have a great mouse or large screen for starters. Right now I'm saving as two digits: The first digit is for a complete party wipeout, the second a complete party wipe-out like Gigas or falling off a ledge (just bone head stuff, not real game play). So I save my game as 0-1 right now. This of course just keeps track of party "wipe-outs" only. The deaths for individuals will have to be tallied separately. I will have 3 figures at the end of the game I figure: 1) Total # of individual deaths 2) # of combat-related party wipe-outs 3) # of non-combat-related party wipe-outs. So, right now I'm shooting for a 0, 0, 1. The question will be how to weight two scores like this: 12, 0, 1 VS. 6, 1, 1; etc., etc. Just wondering if anyone has finished the game on normal difficulty without any character deaths? OH YEAH, I almost forgot! I need to incorporate scoring for how fast (days) my party finishes the game, too. So I will have 4 values to work with for a scoring system. The reason for the scoring system will not be for me to compare to other players, but to give the game a lot longer play life by trying to "beat your record".
Godzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 03:04 PM   #2
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

The game keeps track of character deaths for you, in the individual profiles. Click the shield on the lower-left frame of the attributes box to see weapons stats, and you'll have kills (your individual monster count) and deaths (you died).
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 04:26 PM   #3
Godzilla
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Yeah, I got that. Have you done the game with little or no deaths to characters?
Godzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 09:55 AM   #4
xfactor
Dungeon Master

It's not too hard to complete the game with at least one character never dieing. One thing to bear in mind is that a lot of people will quit out of a game if a combat goes really badly and half the party dies really quickly.

In my first games I would say I had about half a dozen of each type of death, maybe more whole party combat deaths due to not being prepared for some of the bigger fights that sneak up on you. Nowadays I can usually go the whole game with only a couple of character deaths due to random chance or a lapse in concentration during a combat.

xfactor
xfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 07:58 AM   #5
Loudhy
Drizzt Do'Urden

Never managed the game without dead characters. I think it's impossible. There is always a combat with a critical hit or a deadly spell.

And, like xfactor said, sometimes there is a lack of concentration. For me it is not during a combat or after some hours of gaming. Most of my mistakes happen after I load a game and start playing.

Greetings
[img]graemlins/monster5.gif[/img]

[ 07-18-2006, 07:58 AM: Message edited by: Loudhy ]
Loudhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 04:19 PM   #6
xfactor
Dungeon Master

Yeah, I forgot about criticals. I once had a level 21 Samurai instantly killed by a Deathsting Apus at Marten's Bluff. That was annoying.

I think in each of the games I've played there's been at least a couple of dozen "silly" combats where I'm randomly wandering around and come across a huge group of enemies. Most of the time I'll win - just - but in about a quarter of them I'll be unprepared and lose a character or two, sometimes the whole party. Those are the combat that will make completing the game without any deaths really difficult.

xfactor
xfactor is offline   Reply With Quote