Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 07-24-2001, 07:38 PM   #11
oldbittercraig
Elminster

I also run a Paladin, so I have one extreme than the other...

I chose an evil character not to run around whacking peasents, but to give me more freedom of action... There's no moral qualm about looting someone's home. I can also be a right bastard when NPC's start to annoy me with questions.

I've done plenty of good quests simply because the rewards benefit me.

For me, it's all about motivatations. Greed, Avarice and the acquisition of power are what's important, not simply wanton destruction. the NPC's are simply pawns in my chessmatch with Irenicus. If you've read Dragonlance, think Raistlin...

[This message has been edited by oldbittercraig (edited 07-24-2001).]
Old 07-24-2001, 07:41 PM   #12
Robin, Thief of Hearts
The Magister

Evil is not well considered in SoA - although a bit better than BG1. To follow the path of Evil, one should get better rewards than doing Good most of the time. Doing good should be harder to choose. You should have to sacrifice personal power, and wealth.

It can be fun to play evil, since in real life, the opportunity is invariably tied to causing trouble for others, which isn't acceptable. But there should have been some other approaches to stimulate Evil players-

Artifacts of Evil, which are valuable rewards: the equivalent of Carsomyr. Vampiric weapons are generally looked on as Evil. Poisons are usually Evil, and so on. Blackrazor was the exceptional Evil weapon in the game.

Maybe an alternative Stronghold? The goals of an Evil player might be acquisition of wealth, so maybe a Palatial setting? A Tower of Evil might be cool, for mages- stick enemies in there & torture them for power increases
Blood sacrifices for money and power should be possible. Why is it that we only get to kill monsters for money? Why not Merchants? Why not infiltration of their compounds, and slaying of their guards to get coin and magics?

Oh well. At least the Neutrals aren't complaining, and there was nothing for them
Old 07-24-2001, 07:42 PM   #13
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I have tried to play evil - even got to the end of Might & Magic 7 playing evil, 'cos I had no new games and was bored - but I really hate it. It is SO against the grain! I had to struggle really hard to get my rep down low enough for certain things... 'Never no more!'

------------------