Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-12-2006, 06:12 PM   #11
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Callum:
I have the Creative Zen Touch, and it needs some software to put songs onto it, or you can use Windows Media Player, though that has limited functionality.

However, I'm quite happy with my Zen. Bit big and heavy though, and as a hard drive player, you can't do sports with it.
Same, of all my MP3 players, my chunky old Zen Xtra is still my favourite, not the one im using right now, but it certainly proved to the the best value mp3 player I have ever owned.
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 08:52 PM   #12
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Hivetyrant, I still use my trusty 60gb Zen Xtra too, it's great! And I have a spare battery too which is always handy.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:43 AM   #13
Rikard T'Aranaxz
Harper

there are several programs that will run your iPod just fine without having to use iTunes. I personally use winamp

the downsides of the iPod beside the unbearably ugly white earplugs (i mean really) are that iPod renames every song to a code and randomly places it on its harddisk which means thats it near impossible to export songs from your iPod to a different harddisk, and that the battery of an iPod cannot be replaced! when your iPod is out of batteries, chances are you will have to buy a new one!

The upside is that when it breaks down you get a new one [img]tongue.gif[/img] (unless its the batteries that break down >_<)
Old 11-13-2006, 08:10 AM   #14
Link
Jack Burton

I use my Sony Ericsson W800i for MP3 purposes.

Goal: Beijing 2008
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:11 AM   #15
Rikard T'Aranaxz
Harper

that only goes up to 2 (or4?) GB though :<
Old 11-13-2006, 09:52 AM   #16
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I just got myself a Toshiba Gigabeat 30GB off eBay for $200. It was about $100 cheaper than retail. I'm loving it so far.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:19 AM   #17
Link
Jack Burton

My phone has a 512 MB memory card, Rikard, so not even close to 2 or 4 GB. Nevertheless, I'm happy with it - the phone is wonderful and has seen the street more than one time without a crack or malfunction. Simply great!

I'll probably take the newest Sony Ericsson Walkman Phone next. It supposedly has 4 GB of memory for music purposes. :thumbsup

Goal: Beijing 2008
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:02 AM   #18
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Again, sorry Rikard, iPod batteries can be replaced. I know people love to rag on iPods almost as much as they do Microsoft, but mine works absolutely great. Definitely helps if you're on a Mac already. I think the major problems occur when you're doing the Windows/iPod combo...

Albromor, a big issue is size - if you're an audiophile, the bigger the better, and one codec I like is Apple lossless - at about 2/3 the size of a wav file (which ideally I want to listen to everything at) they save space with minimal degredation of audio quality. Basically mp3s are rotten. Rotten, rotten, rotten. Their compression and loss is so obviously audible, it's hideous.

And whatever you get, it's unlikely the supplied 'ear buds' will do anything justice. I listened to the iPod's for a minute; they were rotten too; and went straight back to my 10 year old Sony's. Have since bought some new ones.
With any digital device you have to remember that because we are analogue beings, the sole analogue component is one of the most vital elements to any player sounding good. We have ears. Therefore the thing you stick next to them needs to be quality or the whole point is moot...

I have other soundie mates who swear by their various iPod & Creative players. I personally have not come across a recommendation for any other brand, and I know a lot of sound engineers, musos and DJs who use them personally and professionally.

Summary: If you have a PC, maybe Creative is better, a Mac, maybe iPod.

Edit: Just remembered you said you have Windows (PC). I really think Apple stuff is all designed to go together and works wonderfully when you keep it so. So probably look at the Creatives? I don't know enough to talk about PC/iPod compatability.

[ 11-13-2006, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: Leonis ]
Old 11-13-2006, 11:32 AM   #19
Rikard T'Aranaxz
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Leonis:
Again, sorry Rikard, iPod batteries can be replaced. I know people love to rag on iPods almost as much as they do Microsoft, but mine works absolutely great. Definitely helps if you're on a Mac already. I think the major problems occur when you're doing the Windows/iPod combo...
I was actually in an iPod store and the person being helped in front of me had her battery broken down, this was the new iPod video and the sellwomen literally said that the batteries are irreplacable without taking apart the entire iPod and therefor it was easier to just buy a new one because it saved time. However if you think you know better then you must be correct.

Also i feel your microsoft rant was aimed at me because quite frankly you said it right after adressing me. If that is the case then you will be glad to hear i own an iPod which you could have known if you had read between my lines (since i use winamp for my ipod and i had mine replaced for free). Another fact is that ipod (and itunes, if you allow it to do) renames the songfiles to a randomly assigned name, which is very annoying when you are trying to transfer songs from one computer to the other (and there are lot of perfectly legal reasons why you would want to do so). Also i dont like iTunes and i know a lot of people who dont like iTunes. This has nothing to do with it being a macintosh product as you would like people to think it does. I dont like it because 1. it is forced upon you, either to get your ipod running (though that can now be bypassed) or by simply installing quicktime. 2. because it was the hardest nonspyware program to uninstall that i ever tried. I think the uninstall option is very important and if a program cannot be removed then i rather not have it on my harddisk. 3 because it haves iStore buttons EVERYWHERE which is quite annoying when you trying to randomly scroll your program. and 4. because it runs too heavy. it needs twice the memory that winamp uses.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:35 AM   #20
Rikard T'Aranaxz
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Link:
My phone has a 512 MB memory card, Rikard, so not even close to 2 or 4 GB. Nevertheless, I'm happy with it - the phone is wonderful and has seen the street more than one time without a crack or malfunction. Simply great!

I'll probably take the newest Sony Ericsson Walkman Phone next. It supposedly has 4 GB of memory for music purposes. :thumbsup
it goes up to 4GB means that although you might have less, you certainly wont have more [img]smile.gif[/img]