Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2007, 11:37 AM   #1
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

As in expressing a lot with very few pixels.

I think Final Fantasy 6 is quite expressive. A multitude of distinctly different characters singing, eating, climbing, jumping and operating a toilet with 16*24 pixels. Or maybe the original Lemmings. I think those were 5*7 and three colors or something like that.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:06 AM   #2
Lucern
Quintesson

I wanted to say, interesting question!

The most concise graphics? The ascii in old games like Rogue and new games like Dwarf Fortress might count, though those may not technically be graphics [img]smile.gif[/img]

An old game comes to mind called Sword of Aragon, which did a tremendous amount with a limited color palette (8 colors maybe), yet it managed to take you through an epic fantasy campaign with field battles and all, with very little confusion as to what is what, who your elven archers are and who the goblin skirmishers are.
Lucern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 07:13 AM   #3
Zaleukos
The Magister

Its kinda hard to remember the details of such games, but I would imagine Ski or Die (and its predecessor Skate or Die) had pretty expressive graphics. Ditto for the Amiga version of North & South.
Zaleukos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 08:54 AM   #4
ZFR
Legion Symbol

How about Ultima Underworld? Shadowcaster?
Old 01-20-2007, 03:23 AM   #5
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
I'd go back even further to be more concise and say Wizardry I or Akalabeth for that primordial dungeon crawl feel. [img]smile.gif[/img]
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote