Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2000, 08:49 AM   #1
LordEd

I am playing the second time through. Using multiplayer, I started over with a party comprised of characters that had already finished the game once. Thus, they started around levels 17-19. The level hack that lets characters go above level 20, however, is severely deficient. For example, it does not continue to improve ability scores or give mages additional spells. Instead, it only increases hit points and lore. As I recall the AD&D rules, 2d edition, a wizard in the high 20s should have the ability, as does Irenicus, to memorize five or more ninth level spells. (BTW, this is not as boring as you think, as the game adjusts many of the battles based upon the level of your party. So, where a level 13 party fights skeletons and a wight, a party in the 20s has to fight skeleton warriors, wights, and a lich.)

I wish someone who could write code would improve the hack accordingly.

What do others think?

Lord Ed

Old 11-21-2000, 08:55 AM   #2
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

That's because the XP cap is a way for Bioware to not have to support abilities for high level chars eg level 9 spells. Nothing wrong with that, if you want to progress beyond that you can always use Shadowkeeper and just increase your spell memorization levels to give yourself the additional spells, etc. That way if you want your level 25 characters to cast 4 or 5 level 9 spells then you can. You just need to update each time you level up.
Old 11-21-2000, 09:20 PM   #3
LordEd

Don't you see that I want someone to write a program to do all of the work for me.
In any event, I have not owned the D&D rules in many years, and I would not begin to know exactly what to do for each level gained.

So, I think someone needs to help my lazy ass by writing an updated Level Hack!

Lord Ed

Old 11-21-2000, 11:57 PM   #4
Armisael

It's not as easy as it sounds. It'd involve editing about two - three dozen scripts.

Old 12-19-2000, 05:08 AM   #5
UserUnFriendly

also when you reach say 23rd level, and you hack the extra spelll slots, when you reach the next level, slots gone!

really pissed me off.