Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2002, 12:28 PM   #31
skywalker
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:
I used to be Catholic....but I got better!

Mark
You sound like a Pentecostal Protestant. Are you?[/QUOTE]Sorry, no I follow no religion at the moment. That doesn't mean this will not change, but I have no time or desire to deal with it.

I think if I had a family beyond my wife and I, it would be different. But, since my wife feels as I do, there is not much point in forcing myself back into the religious mode. We have no kids to set a good example for!

Mark
Old 04-30-2002, 12:47 PM   #32
TheThing
Banned User

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TheThing:

Don't tell me that one cannot live a fullfilled life without God though... cause I know people who did.
Did I say anyone couldn't? No, I spoke for myself. I know what my life would be without God. I know the difference God makes in MY life. That's what I speak of.[/QUOTE]ok, ^^ [img]smile.gif[/img] gotcha
Old 04-30-2002, 01:45 PM   #33
Alexander
Drow Warrior

Here's a question.

Is Ghandi (or Gandhi, I can't quite remember how it's spelled) in hell right now?
Old 04-30-2002, 02:30 PM   #34
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Well, although I know fully well that debating can be fun and is good for mental stimulation, but I just wish Feuerbach hadn't gone and put a damper on the fun of it.
Oh well, for everyone's knowledge (if you didn't alredy know) I am a atheist.
Certainly not, however, one of the types who dislike all christian's for their beliefs, if they are going to believe what they do with all their faith, I think I'd be hard-pressed to change their views, just as I doubt a christian will provide an argument that would sway my views.
Old 04-30-2002, 04:49 PM   #35
Azred
Drow Priestess

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:
Sorry, no I follow no religion at the moment. That doesn't mean this will not change, but I have no time or desire to deal with it.

I think if I had a family beyond my wife and I, it would be different. But, since my wife feels as I do, there is not much point in forcing myself back into the religious mode. We have no kids to set a good example for!

Mark
Fortunately, you don't have to be religious to set a good example for your children. belle and I don't follow/ascribe to any religion and I think we set a wonderful example for the sprout.

[ 04-30-2002, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: Azred ]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 04-30-2002, 10:17 PM   #36
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander:
Here's a question.

Is Ghandi (or Gandhi, I can't quite remember how it's spelled) in hell right now?
According to Gandi's religion, Hindu, he has either achieved Nirvana (a pure spirtual state. free from the cycle of life and death) or has been reincarnated. It would be arrogant and presumtious to assume that someone is going to hell because they are non-christian. While many religons deal with an underworld or land of the dead, only christianity has the eternal damnation of hell as far as I know. This concept was invented in order to scare the pagans into converting, twisting thier own underworld into "hell" and their deer-antlered green god named Cernunous, into satan.
Old 05-01-2002, 04:05 AM   #37
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
quote:
Here's a question.

According to Gandi's religion, Hindu, he has either achieved Nirvana (a pure spirtual state. free from the cycle of life and death) or has been reincarnated. It would be arrogant and presumtious to assume that someone is going to hell because they are non-christian. While many religons deal with an underworld or land of the dead, only christianity has the eternal damnation of hell as far as I know. This concept was invented in order to scare the pagans into converting, twisting thier own underworld into "hell" and their deer-antlered green god named Cernunous, into satan.[/QUOTE]Last I checked, Nirvana was a Buddhist state of existence, not Hindu.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 05-01-2002, 04:06 AM   #38
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Here's a question.

How are we going to know?

Old 05-01-2002, 07:13 PM   #39
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
quote:
quote:
Here's a question.

According to Gandi's religion, Hindu, he has either achieved Nirvana (a pure spirtual state. free from the cycle of life and death) or has been reincarnated. It would be arrogant and presumtious to assume that someone is going to hell because they are non-christian. While many religons deal with an underworld or land of the dead, only christianity has the eternal damnation of hell as far as I know. This concept was invented in order to scare the pagans into converting, twisting thier own underworld into "hell" and their deer-antlered green god named Cernunous, into satan.[/QUOTE]Last I checked, Nirvana was a Buddhist state of existence, not Hindu.[/QUOTE]Yes, some Buddists also believe in achieving a purely spiritual state after death. This is one of the many similarities of the two paths.
Old 05-02-2002, 12:42 AM   #40
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Here's a question.

According to Gandi's religion, Hindu, he has either achieved Nirvana (a pure spirtual state. free from the cycle of life and death) or has been reincarnated. It would be arrogant and presumtious to assume that someone is going to hell because they are non-christian. While many religons deal with an underworld or land of the dead, only christianity has the eternal damnation of hell as far as I know. This concept was invented in order to scare the pagans into converting, twisting thier own underworld into "hell" and their deer-antlered green god named Cernunous, into satan.[/QUOTE]Last I checked, Nirvana was a Buddhist state of existence, not Hindu.[/QUOTE]Yes, some Buddists also believe in achieving a purely spiritual state after death. This is one of the many similarities of the two paths.[/QUOTE]G'kar, the Hindu term for "freedom from samsara" is Moksha, not Nirvana.

I wouldn't call the paths similar at all either. Certainly Adi Shankara and Gautama didn't think so.