Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-09-2001, 08:59 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

When I was in Mexico, I met a guy who believed that Black was evil, and that the more a person succomed to the enticing lure of the evil spirits contained in black the more black you would need to feel ok.
Yellow was it's opposite. Yellow fended off the evil of black.
So nothing in this guy's house was black.
He only had bright happy colors.
He shunned us for having black suits, saying that we brought death and horror with us.
Does anybody feel this way on here?
Are there any of you wearing black right now?
I am

------------------

Father of the wicked but cute child known as MaryBeth

Padre de una nińa bien traviosa pero guapa
---------------------
Aisukuríimu ga tabetái desu.

[This message has been edited by Larry_OHF (edited 09-09-2001).]
Old 09-09-2001, 09:44 PM   #2
G'kar

Color symbology is a part of mystical teachings worldwide. The exact symbology varies between culture and individuals, though there are similarities. Some Mystical paths ( Buddism, Hindu, Native north/south American, Wiccan, Gnostic, Kabbalah to name a few) around the world teach the human aura has color and related symbology. It can be percieved by learning to see with the minds eye. Black or dark is a common color for a foul mood or disease. Blue for healing and health. Check the "new age" section in any bookstore for a full range of beliefs in color symbology.

Old 09-09-2001, 09:56 PM   #3
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
I, personally do not belive it, a color is simpley a a color. But colors I think can be used to prove a point more, like if you wear going to do somthing happy you wouldnt but black every where and so on.

------------------

So if in the forest look behind you, because that where the ranger is going to be

The ranger looked at the place out side of the elven town near the river, he looked near the rocks, then they showed the way ....

Grand-Jester of Laghing Hyenas
Currently in service for the Red Wizards
Old 09-09-2001, 10:00 PM   #4
Moni

I am wearing a pair of black work out pants (thin cotton, tie waist) and a light blue t-shirt. Is that symbolic of balance between good health and bad health? LOL, I dunno, but it is comfortable.
I have no problem wearing black, the same as I have no problem wearing lighter colors (with the exception that reds & yellows make my skin look sickly unless I am tanned ).
There is a "Rainbow Coalition" that uses colors through visualization to create inner balance, among other things...then there are others who see black as a definitive projection of evil, the same as they see white as a definitive projection of good...to me there are certain associations that I will not deny colors and their effects on our moods but I won't allow them to rule what I wear or the color of my furnishings...if I like it and it looks good with everything else, I'll let it stay around.

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Is Too! Is Not! Is Too! Is Not!

Old 09-09-2001, 10:05 PM   #5
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Interesting point, Larry. I think colors mean different things to different people, after all. Red to someone may mean valour or bravery, to another passion and romance, and yet to another may mean anger, violence, and bloodshed. I know of cultures who view yellow as "illness" or "poison". Here in the states, we use yellow signs as caution signs (or yellow-orange signs, that is).

Color symbology varies from culture to culture, and person to person. I for one like black as an attire, just because it looks "sharp"...but my entire wardrobe is not black. I tend to like blues and purples, just because that complements my own coloring. Others do well with yellows and oranges, which make me look like I'm dead if I'm wearing them. A female friend of mine would never touch purple, because she said it made her look like a corpse. I didn't believe it, until she held up a purple shirt next to her and...well, let's say it's good I wasn't a coroner. Whew, that was frightening!

------------------
Old 09-09-2001, 10:05 PM   #6
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Personally, I do not see any colour as evil or good. They are colours. They are natural, and cannot be evil or good, imho, though I am aware that some people give them such connotations.
I do prefer paler or brighter colours to darker or duller ones, myself.
Wearing black clothes is ok, but I think a black interior in a home would be deeply depressing! And a ferociously yellow interior would be nerve-jangling after a while!

------------------

Old 09-09-2001, 10:11 PM   #7
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I feel stronger when I am in black.
Black looks very good on me.
In fact, all winter colors look to be my style, like dark colors.
But my favorite is black.
When I train with my teacher in martial arts study, I feel better in black.
Weird, eh???

------------------

Father of the wicked but cute child known as MaryBeth

Padre de una nińa bien traviosa pero guapa
---------------------
Aisukuríimu ga tabetái desu.
Old 09-09-2001, 10:15 PM   #8
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
I feel stronger when I am in black.
Black looks very good on me.
In fact, all winter colors look to be my style, like dark colors.
But my favorite is black.
When I train with my teacher in martial arts study, I feel better in black.
Weird, eh???

Not really.
I used to wear a lot of black for that very reason so its not weird to me LOL!

I agree with Fljotsdale about the all black interiors being depressive though and yellow...ick, unless it is pale does not belong in furnishings...accents sure, but not walls and such! I prefer light interiors, pale walls with furnishings that range from pale and soft to dark and contrasting depending on the room they are used in.

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Is Too! Is Not! Is Too! Is Not!

Old 09-09-2001, 10:29 PM   #9
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
Not really.
I used to wear a lot of black for that very reason so its not weird to me LOL!

I agree with Fljotsdale about the all black interiors being depressive though and yellow...ick, unless it is pale does not belong in furnishings...accents sure, but not walls and such! I prefer light interiors, pale walls with furnishings that range from pale and soft to dark and contrasting depending on the room they are used in.
Yellow is actually my favourite colour - ANY yellow! But I can't wear it 'cos I have sallow skin. So.... I have a yellow kitchen/dining room instead! It is very bright and cheerful and I like it - but because I have pale grey carpeting and doors, and light-wood furnishings the yellow is not overpowering.
You'd like my lounge, though, I think. Pale mossy greens and blond wood furnishings with very pale pinkish/greenish/natural upholstery. And nice piccies on the walls, and bookcases crammed with books.... my favourite room!

------------------

Old 09-09-2001, 10:36 PM   #10
G'kar

Color belief can also be relative. While black on one occasion can symbolize mourning and death, it can also symbolize renewal through destruction. Black can also stand for what is hidden, secret, or out of sight.

We attach alot of color symbology in modern culture. One could see an underlining symbology in Defining skin colors as black and white, and then look in the dictonary for the definitions, there are all sorts of implications and double meanings. The colors of a nations flag can bring a patriotic or rebellious feeling. Hospitals, prisons, and mental health institutions paint walls green to have a calming effect. We have gender roles assigned to color. Pink for girls, blue for boys, ect.