Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-01-2001, 09:30 AM   #11
Epona
Zartan

Well, as an atheist I do not believe in life after death - although I thought Fljotsdale's answer about living on in the sense that our life impacts on others and the ecosystems that will be nourished by our remains was an excellent point, very well made.

I don't believe in souls, just that we are biological organisms (albeit very complex ones) and therefore death is a process whereby once your braincells and nervous system have suffered from prolonged lack of oxygen you are 'braindead' and that is final, and is followed by the disintegration and digestion of your body tissues by enzymes and bacteria (amongst other things).

Sorry, that is probably not a very cheery thought. However as far as I am concerned it is the only rational explanation.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 10-01-2001, 09:57 AM   #12
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

I would have to agree with Fljotsdale and Epona in saying I do not believe in life after death. It is a nice thought to have, believing that you can live on eternal after your 'mortal' death on earth. Here is my take on the issue

Heaven/Hell...life after death
I believe (remember this is just my humble opinion) that the idea of heaven and hell as the place you will go after your death on earth was made up to 'pursuade' people to live a 'just & pure' life. Think about it. What better way to pressure people into following your faith then by saying 'if you sin you will spend eternity in hell, but if you live a good, faithful life you will live on forever in the kingdom of God'!

Miserable...life after death
I believe that for many people, the belief of life after death stems from their miserable existance in the present. They want to believe that there is 'more life to live' b/c they certainly have wasted this one. This may seem like a simplistic idea and explanation, but many, many people actually believe this.

Just MHO!

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig
I've got to admit it's getting better, it's getting better all the time
Bossman of Better Funny Stuff.....of the Laughing Hyenas!
Old 10-01-2001, 10:27 AM   #13
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
Well, as an atheist I do not believe in life after death - although I thought Fljotsdale's answer about living on in the sense that our life impacts on others and the ecosystems that will be nourished by our remains was an excellent point, very well made.

I don't believe in souls, just that we are biological organisms (albeit very complex ones) and therefore death is a process whereby once your braincells and nervous system have suffered from prolonged lack of oxygen you are 'braindead' and that is final, and is followed by the disintegration and digestion of your body tissues by enzymes and bacteria (amongst other things).

Sorry, that is probably not a very cheery thought. However as far as I am concerned it is the only rational explanation.

Almost to the word of what my opinion is

------------------
I pledge my allegience
To the flag of HADB
I will do my utmost
To be a loyal and all conquering person
I promise to tread
Over the broken ruins
Of my enemies homes
Slaughtering their armies
Enslaving their people
And all in all
Get smashed and have a jolly good time
"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."

Overlord of all that I behold and anything that i happen to not notice either.

Founding Hamlet of the HADB.
Old 10-01-2001, 10:27 AM   #14
Rikard

From My point of view?
I almost dare not say but i think Life after death mighht not be as you want it to be
Basicly the only life after that i believe in is your monucules being used b other lifeforms..
The advantage of this point of view is you cannot be disappointed after death

------------------
Behold he who stands before you

Almighty (shared) Leader of the OHF
Proud member of the Ancients Club
The one True Necromancer/Blade of the Laughing Hyena's
Last of the Ancient race known as the Red Fluffies
Summoner of Bunnies

Official Register of the Top Posters;
"You can Run, You can Hide,
But you can never do both"

I'm Watching you...

Old 10-01-2001, 10:37 AM   #15
Neb
Account deleted by Request

I believe in life after death, though in what form I cannot tell you, my evidence is the existence of a god, not any particular one, but just a god, how do I prove this you ask me, simple, look at the order all around you, coincidence can account for some of it, but I refuse to believe that coincidence accounts for everything from the creation of the universe to Evolution and Life, now, if there is a god, there are quite probably souls and a life after death as well and I believe that if a god has not been here from the beginning, then he/she/it was created from the Faith of mankind, Faith can cure disease and keep people alive when they should have died, so why cannot the Faith of the majority of mankind in a divine being of some kind or another not CREATE A DIVINE BEING? Even if I am wrong in believíng that a god of some kind exists, ANOTHER kind of life after death will happen, ever tried having a dream that feels as though it's lasted hours even though you've only slept for five minutes? Well, imagine your last though before you die as a dream, a thought, which, no matter how short it actually is, will feel as though it lasts and eternity, I doubt that this will actually happen, but it gives me a feeling of hope to know that no matter what my consciousness will not cease to exist which is the most horrible thing I can imagine.

Sorry for such a long post, but I just had to speak my mind.

------------------
Worshipper of Tiax.

Wielder of the ancient Lawyer spells.

Member of the HADB clan.

Ally of the Fluffy Queen and the Dreaded Red Fluffy

General of the highest class and Leader of the Legal Department and Jumprope Compound in the IW Peacekeeping Force.

Official IW Negotiator(When not siding with the hostage-takers).

ORT member.

I've also got a pretty long sig.
Old 10-01-2001, 11:39 AM   #16
www.cffl.com

SORRY IF I OFFEND ANYONE IM SORRY.
sorry i hit the wrong button.

But i do want to say somthing. I dont beleive in god. Buyt for all we know god could be a peice of dog crap on the side of te road i dont think god is real nobody has proof of it nobody has his signature nobody has his picture. Right? IM not going to waste my time in a crowed room every sunday to listn to ppl read. If i wanted to do that i would go t summer school. i know im a kid andi dont know much about the whole thing but i thik darwin was right. Allthe god thing is poof there is 2 ppl they have the kids then they have more kids and the whole thing but his theroy we evolved from apes that makes more sence than poof there are 2 ppl and they are gonna make the world. The big bang the apes thing that makes a lot of sence. Why didnt god make a sheild in front of the WTC and the pentagon or if 5,000 ppl died why not one less?

THis is just my opinion. But i think what i think and you tink what you think. So dont bug me with i think you are wrong and stuff like that. Thats what i think is right so if you dont like it, then dont.

[This message has been edited by www.cffl.com (edited 10-01-2001).]

Old 10-01-2001, 11:55 AM   #17
Sigmar
Unicorn

Quote:
Originally posted by www.cffl.com:
SORRY IF I OFFEND ANYONE IM SORRY.
What?

------------------
"If complete and utter chaos was lightning,then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting "All gods are bastards"."-Rincewind
Sigmar, proud warrior of clan HADB.
Old 10-01-2001, 12:00 PM   #18
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

Well, I'm an atheist. So I don't believe in life after death, reincarnation or God. I think that once we die, that's the end. Simple isn't it?

Most would dissagree to such a statement. I accept other's opinions but I will not argue with the validity of my opinion or that of others on this subject.

------------------
If I am because I think, then, if I talk without thinking, I'm not really talking! Am I?
Old 10-01-2001, 12:42 PM   #19
Lady Avalon
Emerald Dragon

I definitely believe that our souls have lived previous lives and will go on to live more lives after this one.

------------------
Old 10-01-2001, 02:08 PM   #20
tracey
Manshoon

I don't think it really matters. as long as we live a good and loving life at the moment then all options are surely covered. having a sunny and helpful disposition means that people respond with a smile and that's a kinda 'good karma' thing. no-one will ever know until they die. i did ask my grandmother to get in touch after her death and she was the kind of person who would have........ she hasn't as yet and she died a few years' ago now, so......

anyway. death is a topic that a lot of people fear - however, if you live your life in such a way that you spread joy and love and thoughtfulness to yourself and others', then you will always live on in their hearts and minds. (a bit cheesy, but the best i can do as i'm one of the drift of into the ether people).

fljotsdale is pretty good at scrambling brains - watch out for her post and argue with it. it'll help you to merge your desires with logic