Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-18-2001, 05:58 AM   #1
Merlin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Iv'e never played through as a thief, and am about to try, but I wanted to know about the numbers that relate to each thieving skill, are they percentages or what? and if they are percentages what would be the advantage of going over 100%?

Thanks in advance.

------------------
Magic Merlin
Old 10-18-2001, 06:28 AM   #2
Norbane
Dungeon Master

They aren't (as far as I can tell) directly related to percentages. Granted that increasing your skills will up your percentage for success, but no matter how many points you put into some skills, you'll always have a small chance of failure, at least you do in pick-pocketing.

I gotta say, since I hit 85 skill points in setting traps, I don't believe I've had one failure.

So just be sure to get them all to at least 125 or so. After they all reach that stage, I'd start splitting the points up between pick-pocketing, setting traps, and opening locks. I think after the 150 buffer or so, they're pretty much maxxed except for Pickpocketing.

Hope I didn't confuse you.

Norbane
Old 10-18-2001, 06:29 AM   #3
Sir Molock
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Yes they're percentages...if the number is over 100%, it means that your possibility to make the action are very much!

------------------
-The Legendary Sir Molock-
Old 10-18-2001, 08:51 AM   #4
Archon Devangilous
The Magister

im addicted to thieves so my suggestion is early in the game up your hide in shadows and dont worry about your stealth until a bit later in the game. detect traps works fairly well at decent levels leave it at around 85% until well into the game. pickpocketing depends on your playin style, if your successful you get an item, if ur not then u attack the person n get the item. pick locks is a must in my opinion but thats because when i see somthin locked curiosity casues me to open it

hide in shadows: 100% +
detect traps: 85% +
pick locks: 100% +
set traps:85%

just think of what you think you will use the most and then bump it up

------------------
Nor shadow or myst
the jester is a myth
he is absolute
beware the jester
Old 10-18-2001, 09:10 AM   #5
mitsos

In my opinion, I think that in BG2, backstabbing isn't as important as in BG1. When I played BG2 for the first time, I did no backstabbing whatsoever.