Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-29-2003, 11:51 AM   #21
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Hello Ramon! I'm not über qualified to use the word über in my text as I don't have the umlaut on my keyboard nor does the alt+129 thing work for me, but hey, I'm a good cut and paster...in fact I'm the über-cutandpaster of the überUniverse! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Ahem...we will now return you to your regularly scheduled über interesting chat about the word über.
[img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img] Reading this thread über and über again I cannot shake the eery suspicion that "some" of you don't take my very legitimate grievance über the überly unqualified and incorrect überuse of the word über/ueber/uber in English, überlanguage of the überly free world, überly serious! Übermeanies, you (über-)all (this one is for you, Melusinchen )!

Now, if you would excuse me, please, I have some more crying to do - which is überdue after the übercruel treatment I have suffered here from your hands!

[ 05-29-2003, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: Ramon de Ramon y Ramon ]
So long !<br /><br />R³ aka \"The Ramonster\"(thanks Sir Tainly) - proud to be the official spokesman for the most noble Lady Bilqis, Desert Rose of Ironworks - equally proud to be Moiraine\'s \"permanent advocate\" ! - relaunched edition -
Old 05-29-2003, 11:56 AM   #22
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Thanks, eathkiller, that was very interesting. [img]smile.gif[/img]
So long !<br /><br />R³ aka \"The Ramonster\"(thanks Sir Tainly) - proud to be the official spokesman for the most noble Lady Bilqis, Desert Rose of Ironworks - equally proud to be Moiraine\'s \"permanent advocate\" ! - relaunched edition -
Old 05-29-2003, 12:00 PM   #23
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Hello Ramon! I'm not über qualified to use the word über in my text as I don't have the umlaut on my keyboard nor does the alt+129 thing work for me,
Hi Cloudy - well being the nosy little chap I am I simply had to try the alt 129 thing myself. After a couple of failures, I used the numeric pad for the numbering instead of the keys atop the letters, and low and behold it worked [img]smile.gif[/img]

ü ü ü
[/QUOTE]*patronizingly pats Davros' head* Those üs of you look very nice! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-29-2003, 12:27 PM   #24
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

wait i am so confused..

so the word uber is über in german? which is pronounced ueber?

it is different from over. from what i am getting it seems that you have put over in place of uber, or something like that...
Old 05-29-2003, 12:37 PM   #25
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Bahamut, the most appropriate translations of the German word "über" in English in most cases are "over" or (mostly in compound nouns)"super-".

As to the pronunciation: If I am not mistaken, there does not exist a real equivalent for the sound of the German "ü/ue" (alternate spellings of the same letter) in English. Do you happen to know some French? If so, the way the letter "u" is pronounced in French comes pretty close to how "ü" is pronounced in German.

Even more confused now? [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-29-2003, 12:44 PM   #26
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

No no no Bahamut, there is no English word uber, in the literal sense.

Properly, it should be über, which is German for over or super, but most people who use it are too lazy or don't know how to insert a ü.
The ueber version is for those with no knowledge of the majestic ü as it denotes the same pronuciation.
The difference between the ue and ü in German is similar to the difference between use of many s's and ß.

[ 05-29-2003, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: Talthyr Malkaviel ]
Old 05-29-2003, 12:44 PM   #27
mysticelt
Drow Warrior

Thank you all for many new points that I have learned today! Keyboarding, speech origin, ettiquette....what a great forum! (Really!)
Old 05-29-2003, 12:52 PM   #28
Faceman
Hathor

The German word "über" as a preposition means "over"
"Ich springe über eine Wand" - "I jump over a wall" [img]graemlins/showoff.gif[/img]

As the first part of a composed word it mostly means "over" with verbs
übersehen - to overlook
and adjectives
überempfindlich - oversensitive
and "super" with nouns.
Überblick - supervision
Of course there are exceptions like "Übersee" or "Überland" (overseas, overland).

A for the pronounciation: The German "Ü" is pronounced very much like the French "ue" in "Rue" (street) or the English "eu" ind "deuce".
Old 05-29-2003, 01:07 PM   #29
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Excellent post, Faceman! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]

But I think you are not correct in regard to one point: At least the English pronunciation of "deuce" I am aware of does not contain a sound that I'd consider an equivalent of the German "ü". Your French example is of course correct, except for the fact that it does not have to be an "ue" diphtong, but a simple "u" in French often is pronounced very similar to the German "ü" as well (example "tu"). [img]smile.gif[/img]

So, if anyone who speaks either French or German could come up with an example of an English word that contains the phonetic equivalent of a German "ü" or a French "u" that would be most helpful.

[ 05-29-2003, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: Ramon de Ramon y Ramon ]
Old 05-29-2003, 01:25 PM   #30
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramon de Ramon y Ramon:
Excellent post, Faceman! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]

But I think you are not correct in regard to one point: At least the English pronunciation of "deuce" I am aware of does not contain a sound that I'd consider an equivalent of the German "ü". Your French example is of course correct, except for the fact that it does not have to be an "ue" diphtong, but a simple "u" in French often is pronounced very similar to the German "ü" as well (example "tu"). [img]smile.gif[/img]

So, if anyone who speaks either French or German could come up with an example of an English word that contains the phonetic equivalent of a German "ü" or a French "u" that would be most helpful.
There is always the English words to, two and too. And Rue (not the same as the French word, but pronounced the same.)

[ 05-29-2003, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: Talthyr Malkaviel ]