Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-19-2003, 06:59 PM   #11
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

The only person I play against with any kind of regularity plays humans - he would never win if he didn't have Griff Oberwald. Admittedly Griff is nigh on unstoppable, especially when you're only fast player is pretty much incapable of blocking (my Ghoul - a weaker specimen of the living dead it would be hard to find). But the rest of his team just stands there and gets pounded systematically into the injured players box...
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Old 05-20-2003, 04:58 AM   #12
StigTC

Then you'll probably be happy to hear that the rumor is, they're gonna prohibit star players (at least from tournaments).
One fine day in the middle of the night, two dead boys got up to fight, <br />Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other. <br />The deaf policeman heard the noise, and came and shot those two dead boys. <br />If you don\'t believe this joke is true, ask the blind man, he saw it too!
Old 05-20-2003, 11:08 AM   #13
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Indeed not Tancred, for a while I used some Custom rules from a Citadel Journal- a slow starter certainly, but after a while, no blocking needed. Just a Krox, a steady Skink with The Right Stuff, a big heave, and a little luck.

[ 05-20-2003, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: Talthyr Malkaviel ]
Old 05-20-2003, 05:04 PM   #14
StigTC

But more than one small fellow with th Right Stuff have lost their lives that way, because they had the wrong kind of luck.

That's not particularly funny when it's 30, 40 or 60 thousand a plunge. Unless you're the opposing coach that is, then it's very funny.
One fine day in the middle of the night, two dead boys got up to fight, <br />Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other. <br />The deaf policeman heard the noise, and came and shot those two dead boys. <br />If you don\'t believe this joke is true, ask the blind man, he saw it too!
Old 05-20-2003, 06:04 PM   #15
Tancred
White Dragon

Ah, Griff Oberwald is God. He is The Man. [img]smile.gif[/img] Who's the Daddyyy? HE the Daddyyyy!

But you don't need him to win.

Here's a thought: Human catchers have a movement of 8. Assuming they can go-for-it twice (try saving a reroll for that) that's 10 squares. A Blood Bowl pitch is 26 squares long; hence, that's 13 a side. So you only need to get a Catcher three squares on to the board and then throw him the ball to be able to make a scoring run.

Most of my touchdowns work that way. The thrower runs over to pick up the ball. My front line of linesmen dodges back one square each. Then I hit the flanks with everything I've got to get those catchers three squares on. One catcher for each flank, preferably - sometimes I break on through early to force more pressure on my opponent. Then, the throw, the catch, the sprint - a three-turn touchdown. Easy.

As for my opponent's turn - the majority of touchdowns I tend to score are through attacking my player's defences and getting the ball that way rather than picking it up from my half. No defence is unbreakable, and it's usually a domino effect - open a gap, and the whole thing falls apart around their ears. One thing I have learned is that it's utterly impossible to get a slow (movement 6 or slower) ball carrier across the pitch without a moment of vulnerability.

The only other thing I've learned is to try and minimise contact with the other team. Dodging one step back is a risky defensive ploy but when it works it really works. That way you can stay mobile and he can only attack you once with a blitz.

Believe me - take star players out of the game, and it gets oh so much more even, redressing the balance in favour of 'light' teams. I say it again, Humans are unstoppable (all the defeats I mentioned are well in the past - oh boy, did I learn)
Old 05-21-2003, 02:39 AM   #16
StigTC

Found a picture on a French bloodbowl page, thought I'd share, killer paint job.

Edit: Misspelled French.

[ 05-21-2003, 02:40 AM: Message edited by: StigTC ]
Old 05-21-2003, 06:01 AM   #17
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Tancred:
Ah, Griff Oberwald is God. He is The Man. [img]smile.gif[/img] Who's the Daddyyy? HE the Daddyyyy!

But you don't need him to win.

Here's a thought: Human catchers have a movement of 8. Assuming they can go-for-it twice (try saving a reroll for that) that's 10 squares. A Blood Bowl pitch is 26 squares long; hence, that's 13 a side. So you only need to get a Catcher three squares on to the board and then throw him the ball to be able to make a scoring run.

Most of my touchdowns work that way. The thrower runs over to pick up the ball. My front line of linesmen dodges back one square each. Then I hit the flanks with everything I've got to get those catchers three squares on. One catcher for each flank, preferably - sometimes I break on through early to force more pressure on my opponent. Then, the throw, the catch, the sprint - a three-turn touchdown. Easy.

As for my opponent's turn - the majority of touchdowns I tend to score are through attacking my player's defences and getting the ball that way rather than picking it up from my half. No defence is unbreakable, and it's usually a domino effect - open a gap, and the whole thing falls apart around their ears. One thing I have learned is that it's utterly impossible to get a slow (movement 6 or slower) ball carrier across the pitch without a moment of vulnerability.

The only other thing I've learned is to try and minimise contact with the other team. Dodging one step back is a risky defensive ploy but when it works it really works. That way you can stay mobile and he can only attack you once with a blitz.

Believe me - take star players out of the game, and it gets oh so much more even, redressing the balance in favour of 'light' teams. I say it again, Humans are unstoppable (all the defeats I mentioned are well in the past - oh boy, did I learn)
You see, I take your point - but I'm just not scared of human catchers scoring against me. You know how Bloodbowl works - you try eliminate the risks out of a move until you've got something with the minimum risk possible. You've described something thats perfectly possible, but extremely risky.

Getting someone 3 squares in to an Undead half is really not quite the picnic you portray it as. The main problem being that its a catcher you're dealing with - Strength 2. You can't get round the fact that at some point I'm going to have a turn with this guy in my half, and everyone on my team is blocking him with at least 2 dice - some of them three dice. My token gesture defenders become useful and important for a brief, if ever so amusing, moment, as they finally have the capability to hurt something they can catch. I think this is why Griff kicks arse at this point - his Strength is not too shabby and he has Block and Dodge. The man only goes down on 6's - is the equivalent way of saying that. And seeing as its hard to get lots of people to him and block with many dice it just isn't going to happen. Then he simply steps around my players (I've never seen Griff fail a Dodge roll... Argh!) and casually saunters into the End Zone.

I take your point though, no Star Players would seriously weaken my team - no Vampire. He remains the only player on my team I can rely on to score without a large amount of luck.
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Old 05-21-2003, 10:45 AM   #18
Niadh
Elminster

I hada skaven team, built from the Mordheim and Regiment boxes. I had the worst team in the league, due to 2 deaths in opening game. But I also had one of teh players with most TDs. A gutter runner at dodge 5 and move 9 or 10. Kwik Git ruled.

Not played in a while though.
A Knight is sworn to darkness. <br />His heart knows only hatred.<br />His sword destroys the helpless,<br />His might imprisons the weak.<br />His wrath upholds the wicked, <br />His word speaks only lies.<br /><br /> [img]\"http://www.boomspeed.com/niadh/newiwsig.jpg\" alt=\" - \" />
Old 05-21-2003, 01:45 PM   #19
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

My oldest brother had a Skaevn team- let me tell you, Skaven are another one of thhose teams that are nice and fast, but can go down easy or end up doing very little in a match- but if there is someone skilled behind the wheel, boy can they give you a panning.

Skaven really can rawk.
Old 05-21-2003, 05:28 PM   #20
Tancred
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry the Sprout:
You see, I take your point - but I'm just not scared of human catchers scoring against me. You know how Bloodbowl works - you try eliminate the risks out of a move until you've got something with the minimum risk possible. You've described something thats perfectly possible, but extremely risky.
I've thought this through, and the only answer I can give you is... I challenge you! Tell me where your nearest GW store is and give me a time and a date, and I'll be there... well, I might have to reschedule a mutually agreeable time and date, but... you get the idea.

Up for it?

Tancred