Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > NWN Mod: Escape from Undermountain
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2006, 12:21 PM   #21
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Fighters get the long sword, for sure, Paladins don't get anything, not sure on barbs. Bards get a set of pipes, rogues boots, clerics a robe, not sure about druids, rangers get the bow, wizard/sorcs get the amulet, and monks get the gloves.

There's no way to get every individual char a specific reward, w/out making a custom copy of every single weapon type. In so far as I'm concerned, most of this is ok. However, every arcane archer that I have run through the proving grounds gets the amulet, which is no help to them whatsoever. This includes my builds that go the bard/aa route, or the bard/rdd/aa route. The script sees AA, and gives the amulet. At least, that's been my experience.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 12:57 PM   #22
Greything
Drizzt Do'Urden

We live and learn.

I have run characters with rogue levels through the DPG and never got the boots. What are the their stats?

There must be some hierarchy amongst classes. If you have even one level of a particular class you get the reward for that class if it gets priority over whatever other classes there may be in your build.
Greything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 10:43 PM   #23
Stormshadow
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Why not simply have the door guard ask what class the character wants to be rewarded for?
Stormshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 12:46 AM   #24
Mozenwrathe
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Stormshadow, who had a brilliantly simple idea:

Why not simply have the door guard ask what class the character wants to be rewarded for?

Why not indeed?
More scripts. (Not that there is any other method of doing it, anyway.) It would, however, seem a far easier way to go than try to calculate which item they should be rewarded for. As well, it would allow someone to go through three times with the same character and get all three different prizes. I take it the Drow Proving Grounds Keyholder would only ask the question AFTER you had already beaten all twelve of the grandmasters and had handed in the stones they held. Stormshadow, I do believe yours would be the winning idea if it could be implemented. Keeps it "fair" by only granting items that would be suitable for the character build, but also allows the player to select what they wanted.
There are no paths to power which are not fraught with confrontation. No matter the battle, a lesson must be won. In the end, the path shall fade into nothingness for the one walking it, but may go on for eternity for those whom choose to follow. One must know their own footsteps before taking that first step, or instead of choosing your battles, your battles will choose you.
Mozenwrathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 05:52 AM   #25
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

The variable that triggers the "Word has been spreading about your successes here" dialog would still trigger. I don't know exactly how the script works, but I would write it so that when it takes the stones, it sets the variable.
On the subject, I decided to go around the AA always gets the amulet, and went ranger/wiz/AA thinking I could get the bow that way...nope. Got the amulet...:crys:
Old 12-15-2006, 08:06 AM   #26
Mozenwrathe
Symbol of Cyric

Sad

Quote:
Originally posted by robertthebard, who still seems to be having problems getting what he wants...

The variable that triggers the "Word has been spreading about your successes here" dialog would still trigger. I don't know exactly how the script works, but I would write it so that when it takes the stones, it sets the variable.
On the subject, I decided to go around the AA always gets the amulet, and went ranger/wiz/AA thinking I could get the bow that way...nope. Got the amulet...:crys:

Not a good scene that, now is it?
Well, how would you go about making a script that chose the prize to begin with in terms of the player saying "this is the class I want to achieve a prize for?" I am sure by now Ziroc's stockpiles are filled again with new and wondrous items to fill in the cracks with, so making new prizes or at least new associations for prizes wouldn't be that difficult (I think). Now, I don't believe there's any reason for each and every class and prestige class to have it's own prize, but maybe having ten prizes would work out.

This is my revised association listing:

«1» Fighter - Barbarian (use current fighter prize)

«2» Weaponmaster - Dwarven Defender (make new more defense oriented prize or slightly tweak an older prize)

«3» Bard (I think there is a Bard-oriented prize already)

«4» Red Dragon Disciple (I am sure one of the older prizes would be fine)

«5» Wizard - Sorcerer - Palemaster (revised edition of the current amulet)

«6» Rogue - Shadow Dancer - Assassin - Harper Scout (those boots already serve well)

«7» Ranger - Arcane Archer (the current Ranger prize is more than enough)

«8» Cleric - Druid - Shifter (stick with the really awesome robe, no alterations needed)

«9» Monk (the gloves should be more than powerful enough. if not, ask Ziroc to give them a little more hitting power)

«10» Paladin - Champion Of Torm - Blackguard (something suitable for Holy and Unholy warriors. perhaps a new helm just for them? bracers or even a gemstone or tome with new powers for them to use.)

====
====

Oh, can anyone at all find that spoiler thread we had months about the various prizes currently found at the end of the Drow Proving Grounds, or will we just have to go with what we each currently have in our inventories?

[ 12-15-2006, 08:06 AM: Message edited by: Mozenwrathe ]
There are no paths to power which are not fraught with confrontation. No matter the battle, a lesson must be won. In the end, the path shall fade into nothingness for the one walking it, but may go on for eternity for those whom choose to follow. One must know their own footsteps before taking that first step, or instead of choosing your battles, your battles will choose you.
Mozenwrathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 10:16 AM   #27
roddybug
Manshoon

I posted about the dpg rewards months ago and you've already linked to it, just scroll up to the first post on the link.
roddybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 12:19 PM   #28
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

To 4, RDD's really don't need a special prize, no matter what happens, RDD is usually a means to an end, and as such, you won't see many, if any, epic RDD's.

I currently have a script that will check for the highest level class, and award that way, I just haven't had the patience to make the special items for each class, insert them into the proper spots in the script, and then test it.

To the amulet, it's fine for spell casters, I suppose, but since I rarely run pure spellcasters, wizard/sorc are a means to an end, usually AA...This was the point to the whole thread anyway, not "how much more work can we pile on Z". To that end, I have been working on a prize script, and once I finish it, I'll post it up, with all due credits to the people who have helped me, and if Z wants to tweak the existing with what I will have, cool, if not, that's ok too. I have ranger/assassin combos that can do the grounds fairly easily, and the patience to wait until somebody else is in to get the bow to the chars I want it to get to. My initial suggestion requires substituting one prize in the script, and wouldn't take a lot of work, at least, I don't believe it would.

I'll let you all in on a little secret; building a Plain Jane module is hard work. Building something that can hold people's attention for 4 years is a lot more work, and can be a real pain in the ass, trust me. I do work on another module too, or I did, until it got basically cancelled by NWN 2. It's still up, but there won't be anything new added to it, unless something breaks, I think. So while it's nice to dream, please keep in mind that Z is doing this module solo, and flying by the seat of his pants on some of the script work, and doing an amazing job.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:38 PM   #29
Greything
Drizzt Do'Urden

With you on that last paragraph.

But Ranger/Assassin? Not a combination I have ever thought about using. Still, if it can do the DPG it must be OK. I'll have to model one and see how it comes out.
Greything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 01:11 PM   #30
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

It's a dex build, very high dex on one of them, final was 52...Extremely effective with short swords.