Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2003, 10:02 PM   #1
Boutte
The Magister

I recently posted a thread in the general discussion forum asking for suggestions on what to play after BG 1+2. Several people mentioned Planescape and W+W. The next day I saw Planescape on sale for $10 so I scooped it up. Trouble is I don't think I'm going tp like it much. If you've played you know it's kind of dark and frankly , gross. I don't want to give up on it just yet but if the people here could fill me in on W+W it would be much appreciated.

I loved BG1+2 and Fallout which are the only two rpg's I've played. (Other than Daggerfal which was just one gigantic bug.) Oh yeah there was also IWD2. didn't like it all, too many puzzles. Hmmm.. could it be that I'm too picky.
Old 06-06-2003, 10:41 PM   #2
the mighty stamar

Well wizards and warriors is a different sort of game.

All the games you listed are similar games. Isometric games.

If you do want a game like that I recomend Divine divinity, its great and not dark and yechy like planescape. Although planescape is great its most peoples favorite infinity engine game.

Wizards and warriors is like the game might and magic, you have a party and move around in first person. More standard fantasy setting than planescape.;
the mighty stamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 05:11 AM   #3
Morguemaus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have not played any of those other games that were mentioned, so i can not give my 5cents worth, but i have played a few of the Wizardry series.

I used to have a Mac, and played Wiz 1 and 2, and loved em, even if they are prehistoric, compared to games of today.
I also played Bane of the cosmic forge, and loved that too, also on the Mac, but a color one.

I love the 1st player aspect games, and want to play some more later, after i finish Wiz and War for a 3rd time.

Any suggestions?

Morguemaus
Morguemaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 07:34 AM   #4
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Morguemaus:
I love the 1st player aspect games, and want to play some more later, after i finish Wiz and War for a 3rd time.

Any suggestions?

Morguemaus
Most RPGs you find on the market have a 1st person view. Morrowind, Arx Fatalis etc. If I were to recommend one I would say Arx Fatalis. Pure roleplaying but with a hint of 1st person shooter. For instance you actually see your weapon and have to make your own attacks so to speak. Daggerfall ran perfectly on my computer and was amazing IMO, I am a big fan of the Elder Scrolls series. (Morrowind sucks though and Arena still rules ). Try the Arx demo version and see if you like it. [img]smile.gif[/img] You can find it here.

As for Wizards & Warriors it is one of my favorite RPGs of all time. It's easy to play, fairly straight forward and contains loads of fun, action, adventure and puzzles. There are no meaningless puzzles like in IWD2 but some can be quite hard to figure out. [img]smile.gif[/img] If you can find this game I say go for it. I doubt you will regret the purchase. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 06-07-2003, 07:35 AM: Message edited by: WillowIX ]
WillowIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 09:12 AM   #5
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the W&W board, Boutte!!!

Others have already given you some basic information about W&W. It is pretty cheap these days so you should at least give it a try. I have noted that players very fond of BG sometimes have difficulty adjusting to the W&W point of view. I personally prefer the W&W 1st person view.

The main things I really like and recommend about W&W are:

It's a nicely sized game - large enough to be interesting but not so large that you really never get comfy with it.

Character development is extremely flexible!

The plot line is fairly straight forward. You can choose to go about things in many different ways but unlike BG where walking down the street can get you 4 different quests leading off in 4 different directions, W&W quests seems to mesh much more nicely.

The game is divided into major sections centering around the three towns. You cannot often accidentally wander into an area that is way beyond your characters abilities.

There is a nice variety of environments and monsters.

It is a game that many players have replayed.

Almost any problem that you might have can be solved by posting on this board.

There are bugs in this game. Some of us actually like these bugs. There is a patch which helps solve some of the bugs but also removes some of the "undocumented features". (there is a nice list in the Best Tips thread on what the patch does).

This is a game that was rushed to market because they were running out of development funds. As a result some aspects may seem a bit unfinished. For example, you do a quest for an NPC, complete it and when you go back to the original NPC they do not acknowledge that you have completed the quest. They don't really need to, you've accomplished what had to be done but players do like to get that old "thanks!".

I've played a lot of CRPGS. Tons! W&W is one of my all time favorites!

Give it a try!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 05:46 PM   #6
mark c.
Welcomed New User

w&w is my 1st crpg,I still have 2 or 3 wizardry's for the old nintindo & still love them but w&w is great! I have played d&d for yrs.& find w&w to be A 1 person d&d game w/pictures.I agree with what everyone else has said and add that even though you can find all the help & hints you need here,if you "think" you don't really need much help.This crpg is very reasonable & you can probably find someone with A used copy.It also has an online manual.I think you would like this one. Blackmage1
mark c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 06:15 PM   #7
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Being a person who does not normally revel so much in role playing games I really cannot comment on the other games, since I do not know them. All I know is that apart from the character development which is very good, the gameplay of Wizards and Warriors is fantastic. It really had me caught, and was the sole reason why I stuck to it through the grueling week that ensued before I could get into the first dungeon when I finally discovered the lever.

Furthermore the game has a lot of wonderful subtleties and things that do not immediately become apparent. I am completing the game for the seventh time now, and I still discover new things. On this forum new things regularly surface that not even the most experienced Wizards and Warriors players knew anything about.
Old 06-07-2003, 11:39 PM   #8
the mighty stamar

Actually first and foremost, I would say dont give up on planescape torment.

I just finished it although Im going to play it another day to see all the endings.

Amazing story, its unique in all crpgs. Very cool.
the mighty stamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 06:44 PM   #9
Andraste
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Morguemaus:

Any suggestions?

I'd stick my neck out and say that absolutely the best ever 1st player aspect games are 'Thief: The Dark Project' and 'Thief II: The Metal Age'. As a guide to how much they differ from the average first person shooter, at high level difficulty you are not allowed to kill anyone. You can now pick up both Thief games at discount prices.

Warning - the various ghost and skeletons in W&W are kindergarten stuff compared with the ones in Thief, so much so that they took most of the undead out of Thief II. Which is a guide to how immersive the game is - it was just a touch too frightening for your average game player.

[ 06-11-2003, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: Andraste ]
Andraste is offline   Reply With Quote