Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2001, 11:50 PM   #1
tabbikaat
Dungeon Master

I know that the sphinx is supposed to ask you a series of questions...but he just stares at me and says nothing. I already have what I need to get into Anephas' Shrine....what if I just kill him?

Has anyone done this and what strategy did you use.....
tabbikaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2001, 12:24 AM   #2
Knarfling
Drow Warrior

Absolutly nothing! It doesnt matter if you kill the Sphinx or not. In fact, I have often "missed" a question so that he would attack and I would have an excuse to "wipe up the floor with him." I have used his wings as a feather duster several times. I don't feel bad because he is such a pitiful excuse for a guardian that I think I am doing whoever chose him a favor. I hope that once they see how easy it was to kill the sphinx, that they will choose stronger guardians in the future. (and maybe ones with better riddles. The first riddle is good, but the second and third are so lame they could compete in broken wheelchair races.)

I don't normally kill the "good guys", but this was such a bad "good guy" that I can't help but answer his question wrong and then teach him not to attack me.

Knarfling
Knarfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2001, 12:34 AM   #3
tabbikaat
Dungeon Master

yes...but what strategy did you use? It's hard to do hand-to-hand when 5 out of 6 of your party is *insane* ...tried backing up but he follows me into the water......hmmm.....those sea sharks aren't any picnic either
Old 05-05-2001, 12:39 AM   #4
Knarfling
Drow Warrior

I don't remember what I did in my six person party. The last few times have been solo trips and I was so powerful by then that nothing the guardian did had any effect. I think I cast Merlin's sheild on a couple of my best fighters and let them whale at him. I started off with a meteor storm and then closed in for the kill. I have found that when I am close, the monsters will go for hand to hand more often and I avoid the disasterous looks and spells.

Good Luck.

Knarfling
Knarfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2001, 03:32 AM   #5
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Tabbikaat: use "Merlin's Shield" and "Reflect Damage" before you go after him. "Merlin's Shield" will shield much of the magical effects he casts.

Also: use the same strategy as with the Mantraps. Bomb him with firestorm and meteorstorm from afar, where he can't see you but you can see him.

If you have it, cast "Summon Fiend" or another summoning spell on him. Keep him occupied with a playmate while you whack on him.

Hope this helps!

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2001, 11:51 AM   #6
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Saz -

"A playmate" LOL!!!!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2001, 11:17 AM   #7
tabbikaat
Dungeon Master

WooHoo!

Killed the Sphinx! What a great time. Got his hit points down to half with meteorstorm (which by far is my favorite spell now), then just closed in and let my frontline pummel him to death. And all before breakfast, too!

Merlin's Shield was a life-saver.......use it........often.

Thanks everyone for your great tips!